Author Topic: Need Decimal Latitude Longitude in Preferences  (Read 1990 times)

rexross

• Gentle Breeze
    • Galveston BeachFront Weather Station
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 with UV and IR sensors. Station is mounted on beachfront in Galveston Texa.
Need Decimal Latitude Longitude in Preferences
« on: January 20, 2017, 12:31:28 PM »
The easiest way to find the latitude / longitude for your Weather station is via services such as Google Maps.  They provide highly accurate, but decimal lat / long positions.

These decimals can be easily converted to the degrees minute seconds that WeatherCat uses in its preferences.

However, the digits supplied in WeatherCat do not incorporate the full accuracy of the decimal position.

Thus the location set up in WeatherCat is pretty close, but not as accurate as it could be.

I use WeatherCat with Davis Vanatage Pro in tow locations and love the system.  Good job with this software.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Need Decimal Latitude Longitude in Preferences
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 11:09:11 PM »
The reason WeatherCat uses LORAN coordinates (i.e. degrees, minutes and hundredths) rather than anything else is mainly to do with CWOP (this is the format they want your location in and this avoids any conversion) and secondly it's slightly more accurate than degrees, minutes and seconds.

But that was a while ago and I tend to agree with you that these days decimal lat/long is widely used and would require no conversion by the user - I've added it to the feature request list.

Thanks for the post  ThU5:-)

schwab

• Gentle Breeze
Re: Need Decimal Latitude Longitude in Preferences
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 01:52:30 AM »
Under the WeatherCat Preferences and its Locations/Colors tab please clearly state that the Latitude and Longitude entries must be in the LORAN format.

Thank you for considering this request.

You may also consider providing a link to a converter of other formats such as http://www.directionsmag.com/site/latlong-converter/