Author Topic: Extreme heat in Europe  (Read 4084 times)

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
Extreme heat in Europe
« on: July 25, 2019, 06:01:42 PM »
It has been extremely hot in Europe this week. In the Netherlands the previous 'all-time' temperature record (38.6C, recorded in August 1944) was broken. Yesterday, the official KNMI (Dutch Meteorological Institution) station in Eindhoven recorded 39.3C.

Funnily enough, this record was already broken a day later. Today the KNMI Gilze-Rijen station recorded 40.7C (Eindhoven 40.4C).

My own station (10 miles from Eindhoven) recorded a maximum temperature of 39.4C and 40.2C on the respective days.

Jos

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Extreme heat in Europe
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 06:09:41 PM »
Thanks for this posting. I usually listen to the BBC radio when I'm in the car and I knew it was hot in Europe, but they didn't share any specific temperatures in their weather story. Your record high is more than 105? F and that is especially hot for a country like the The Netherlands, situated on the North Sea. Try not to melt.
 [sweat2]
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Extreme heat in Europe
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 08:20:33 PM »
Even London reached 98+?. Sorry the big bubble of hot air that had been over the eastern US of A didn't get cooled by its trip over the North Atlantic. Hopefully, it will have moved further east by the start of all the vacations next month! OTOH, might be a great time to visit Nuuk!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Alas all too true. (Re: Extreme heat in Europe)
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 10:58:18 PM »
Dear Jos, Blick, X-Air, and WeatherCat climate observers,

It has been extremely hot in Europe this week.

My sympathies on your plight.  I do hope you can remain cool!

We try to keep up with the news from France and of course the excessive heat is pushing the limits of resources there as well.  Supposedly, more people do have central air conditioning, but this is a technology that is very difficult to back-fit into the many structures built before 1900.  The authorities are very concerned about the elderly and others vulnerable to the heat.  Alas, France is being stressed by many conflicting demands these days.  The government can only do so much.

Oh well, Edouard . . .