Author Topic: Weatherlink question  (Read 5085 times)

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
    • Coastal Port Maitland, Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on Mac Studio running Ventura (Mac OS 13) and WeatherCat 3
Weatherlink question
« on: October 07, 2018, 04:47:49 PM »
Hi there,
Just wondering - I use a Davis USB dongle to connect my Vantage Pro 2 to my iMac. The dongle came with a software package, but since I upgraded to a 64 bit system, the software throws a java error (because its running in 32 bit I assume).
I use WeatherCat and of course can send info to CWOP,WU etc., but to get to Davis' Weatherlink.com site I think I need to run their software.
Has anyone figured out how to do this?
I see all sorts of software updates on Davis' website for Windows, but not Mac.
Will Davis do a 64 bit program before in 2019 it's actual toast?
Just curious.
Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

Bill

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
Re: Weatherlink question
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 08:34:43 PM »
Have you tried 'manually' setting the program into 32-bit mode? There is some explanation here:

https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/weatherlink-for-mac

It could also be that WL for Mac doesn't work with the newer Java versions. The page linked above mentions this too (bottom of page).

But in general, WL on Mac? That horse is dead.  ;)

Jos

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
    • Coastal Port Maitland, Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on Mac Studio running Ventura (Mac OS 13) and WeatherCat 3
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 09:37:49 PM »
Thanks-
I had actually seen that page and tried to force 32 bit and I still get a long Java error. It doesn't really matter to me as WeatherCat does a fine job of spinning out to all the sites I really care about - just struck me as dumb that the one site run by the manufacturer of my station is the one that doesn't seem to want to play ball.
Davis makes great hardware - software, not so much!

Bill

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 02:39:55 PM »
But in general, WL on Mac? That horse is dead.  ;)

Davis makes great hardware - software, not so much!

Well said, mates.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
All Weather Envoy users in jeopardy (Re: Weatherlink question)
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 10:41:17 PM »
Dear Bill, Jos, Blick, and WeatherCat station caregivers,

I had a scare yesterday when I tried to replace the batteries in my Weather Envoy.  I thought it was plugged into the AC current, but it behaved as if power-cycled and it took a while to finally reconnect to my ISS and extra temperature humidity station.  Since the ISS is set on transmitter ID #2 and the temperature humidity station is set on ID #1, these have to be set on both the Davis console and the Envoy manually.

In order to try to understand what had happened, I tried to launch WeatherLink which is the only means I know about to set parameters on an Envoy.  However no matter what I tried to do I got this error:

Code: [Select]
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /Applications/Mac OSX WeatherLink/WeatherLink.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libjspMacOSX.jnilib: no suitable image found.  Did find: /Applications/Mac OSX WeatherLink/WeatherLink.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libjspMacOSX.jnilib: no matching architecture in universal wrapper /Applications/Mac OSX WeatherLink/WeatherLink.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libjspMacOSX.jnilib: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
It even generated this error on my old MacBook Pro running Mavericks that I use to adjust the electronic fuel injection parameters on my trusty wagon.  That's the oldest Mac I have around the house that is still running.

Since my Envoy came back to life as I had configured it, I'm back in business.  Alas, should there be a more serious problem, I would be forced to abandon the unit simply because I could no longer adjust its parameters.

I'm going to send an email to Davis and see what they have to say.  However, at this point I don't think any Mac user should consider buying a Weather Envoy.  Those of us with Weather Envoy devices should be contemplating a Plan-B.

Oh well, . . . . . Edouard  :(

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 11:12:23 PM »
I thought it was plugged into the AC current
So, was it connected to AC?

I assume you have a recent Java Runtime installed...
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 12:44:18 AM »
How frustrating. Let us know what Davis tells you.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
False alarm - da' plot thickens . . . (Re: Weatherlink question)
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 10:31:24 PM »
Dear X-Air, Blick, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

I thought it was plugged into the AC current
So, was it connected to AC?

Strangely enough not only was it plugged in, but a quick check confirms that the AC adapter is putting out acceptable voltage.  So I'm baffled on this one.

I assume you have a recent Java Runtime installed...

Well, yes and no.  The current Oracle Java is version 8.  However, WeatherLink can only run on version 6.  So I have both installed.

How frustrating. Let us know what Davis tells you.

Well I did send an email to Davis, but now I'm embarrassed about it.  The nature of that error message made be worry that somehow it wasn't being run in 32-bit mode.  Now I had checked it in the past since I had successfully run WeatherLink.  But just to be sure I double-checked and . . . .  run in 32-bit mode was no longer checked.    How this setting got changed - I have no clue . . . .

Once I checked that box, clunky WeatherLink did come to life and indeed my Weather Envoy was still set to my station settings.  So all is well.  That doesn't answer Bill's original question of why he wasn't able to get WeatherLink to work after all.  It is working on my MacBook Pro (Early 2011) and macOS 10.13.6.  Had Bill upgraded to Mojave?

In summary, at least some Macs can still run WeatherLink so that you can configure a Weather Envoy.  However, having a plan-B in mind is probably still a prudent precaution.

Oh well, . . .  Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 11:18:56 PM »
now I'm embarrassed...
Welcome to the club! I'm an expert at being embarrassed!  cmu:-) [blush]

As for the setting flipping, it was probably just a random cosmic ray. The setting is probably only one bit, so a single ray could change it easily. Of course, your being so close to the left-hand edge of the country may also be the problem. I hope you are on the east side of the San Andreas... [banghead] [rolleyes2]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system