Author Topic: Hello from Mississippi!  (Read 3415 times)

GadgetGrannie

• Calm
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 with Weather Envoy, MacMini OS X 10.6.8 dedicated to weather, LWC2
Hello from Mississippi!
« on: March 03, 2012, 12:00:07 AM »
I acquired the Davis VantagePro2 with Weather Envoy in November, 2009. I am running WeatherCat on MacMini which I've dedicated to weather reporting only. The mini is running Mac OS X v 10.6.8 with 2GB ram. My main computer is a 27" iMac running on OS X 10.7.3 with 16GB ram.

I design and maintain websites (www.webdesignbyjan.com). I enjoy gardening for wildlife, trail riding on horseback and wildlife photography (www.wildlifephoto.net). I also enjoy cooking for family and friends.

I've been using Stu's wonderful LWC since 2009 and am thrilled that he's "back" and is now offering WeatherCat. I had no problems installing and using WeatherCat.  The only issue I've run into is not getting the SMTP settings to work. It might be an issue with AT&T and port blocking. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

[sun2]
Jan (aka GadgetGrannie)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Re: Hello from Mississippi!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 12:34:54 AM »
Hi Jan (aka GadgetGrannie) and WeatherCat fans,

Welcome!

I acquired the Davis VantagePro2 with Weather Envoy in November, 2009. I am running WeatherCat on MacMini which I've dedicated to weather reporting only. The mini is running Mac OS X v 10.6.8 with 2GB ram. My main computer is a 27" iMac running on OS X 10.7.3 with 16GB ram.

Definitely a nice setup!  [tup]  Nice to see another Mac diehard!!  [computer]

I design and maintain websites (www.webdesignbyjan.com). I enjoy gardening for wildlife, trail riding on horseback and wildlife photography (www.wildlifephoto.net).

Can't help but notice that you haven't listed a weather website among your nifty creations.  Any story behind that?

I've been using Stu's wonderful LWC since 2009 and am thrilled that he's "back" and is now offering WeatherCat. I had no problems installing and using WeatherCat.  The only issue I've run into is not getting the SMTP settings to work. It might be an issue with AT&T and port blocking. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Do you have a description from AT&T as to what are their required settings for sending email?  I just had a peek at the WeatherCat instructions for setting the email because I had a question of my own on that.  WeatherCat should be able to cope with just about any common setting that are commonly used by ISPs.  What program do you use to read email - Apple Mail?  The same settings should work in WeatherCat.

Do let us know if you are still having problems and we'll put our heads together!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. In case you haven't already done so, you might want to join the MacWeather.net forum as well.  That was the refuge for LWC fans until Stu resurfaced and there are some additional goodies like hardware troubleshooting and stuff like that.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Hello from Mississippi!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 10:42:05 AM »
Hi Jan,
As Edouard says - Welcome!

With regards to the email, check the 'from' field in WeatherCat's email preferences - it would have been cleared when your LWC settings were imported and many providers require a valid address here (the other things not imported are FTP passwords).

Cheers,
Stu.