Author Topic: WeatherCat Version 1.2.3 Released  (Read 18827 times)

hanspost

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Re: WeatherCat Version 1.2.3 Released
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 02:39:12 PM »
I have problems with FTP upload since version 1.2.2
This update doesn't solve the problem.
When testing the FTP connection Weathercat hangs at validating the url. Nothing has changed there!
Any options?

Tailspin45

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0995
    • KCACARLS17
    • Carlsbad Science and Technology Observatory
  • Station Details: Davis 6250, 6520 USB logger, iMac, Evocam
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 02:44:42 PM »
There is something funky about FTP...at least for me. My guess is WeatherCat will send a file using FTP if the address and login are correct.

For example, I have to use ftp://carlsbadwx.com/carlsbadwx.com/ to get it to the right place.

FWIW, some ISPs use different FTP passwords from admin passwords, so be sure you're trying to login with correct one.
Tailspin Tommy
http://carlsbadwx.com

hanspost

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 01:55:43 PM »
My FTP settings haven't changed, so that can't be the problem. When I test the FTP settings Weathercat doesn't respond for minutes and after that I get an error: upload timed out. With a separate FTP client I can upload the files manually without any problem!
Before 1.2.2 I didn't have any problems.

Tailspin45

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0995
    • KCACARLS17
    • Carlsbad Science and Technology Observatory
  • Station Details: Davis 6250, 6520 USB logger, iMac, Evocam
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 02:05:54 PM »
Are you running 1.2.3 build 16? Do you have more than one copy of WeatherCat anywhere on your system?

There was a problem with the first release of 1.2.3 (build 14), and when I had a problem it was suggested that I be sure not to have more than one copy.
Tailspin Tommy
http://carlsbadwx.com

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 04:56:39 PM »
Hi Hanspost,

Nothing has changed in the FTP code for a long time, so no changes there. Weird stuff can sometimes be caused by a corrupt preferences file - you can try quitting WeatherCat, renaming your existing preferences file, rebooting the machine then launching WeatherCat and set it back up (when you rename or delete the preferences file, all settings revert back to defaults).

You can find the preferences file at ~/Library/Preferences/com.trixology.weathercat.plist (where ~ is your home directory).

You may find your Library folder is hidden and you can't find it in your home folder If it is, you can make it visible again via the following terminal command:
chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Another way to go to this folder is to hold down the Option key while clicking on the Go menu in the Finder and selecting the 'Library' menu item.

hanspost

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2013, 02:00:39 PM »
Thanks,
but in my preference map there is no such file as com.trixology.weathercat.plist.
It is full of other files and it is not a hidden map.
My WeatherCat version is: Version 1,23 Build 16 (1.2.3)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2013, 05:06:57 PM »
in my preference map there is no such file as com.trixology.weathercat.plist

We don't know what version of of OS X you are running and I'm not sure to what you are referring with the term preference map.

However, as Stu stated, this is how you find the WeatherCat plist file, assuming you are running Lion or higher:

• Open Finder
  • Hold down the option key and whilst holding it, click on the Go pulldown menu
  • Continue to hold down the option key and move your mouse down the pulldown menu and click on the selection for Library
  • Let go of the option key and select Preferences inside the Library
  • Under Preferences, you will find a file called com.trixology.weathercat.plist

If you are running Snow Leopard, the Library is already visible in Finder.

Hope this helps you find the plist.
Blick

hanspost

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2013, 11:39:02 AM »
Ok,
I've found the file and moved com.trixology.weathercat.plist to another location.
Then, I've started Weathercat again, but all my preferences are still there! The com.trixology.weathercat.plist file is created again.

Also, the FTP problem still exists. When I try to test my FTP settings Weathercat waits a long time and then a time-out error appears. Manually I have no problems at all to upload the file through FTP.
My iMac works with the latest OSX.

The problems started at November 3rd with version 1.2.2.
Very strange that nothing has changed in the software, because I haven't changed anything in my FTP or Mac settings.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2013, 03:07:51 PM »
all my preferences are still there! The com.trixology.weathercat.plist file is created again.

That is exactly what is supposed to happen. OS X creates a brand new replacement file to replace your old one. The purpose of all this is to make sure that you do not have a corrupted preferences file. So now you have proven that the plist file is not causing your problem. Don't forget to go back to where your moved your old plist file and delete your old plist file. Keep the new one.

Now that you have told us you are running Mavericks (10.9) on your iMac, the next thing to try, is to follow the directions posted by Stu yesterday, which should do the trick. This FTP issue appears to be caused by a change Apple made in Mavericks, not a change in WeatherCat. Stu posted a solution here:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1028.0

Please try it and let us know.
Blick

hanspost

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2013, 03:41:14 PM »
Ok,
I've modified the Weathercat file, but the problem still exists.
"Checking url is valid" for 3 minutes and then a time out error.
I've also disabled the firewall, but no results. This is driving me crazy!
Maybe a complete new installation of the Weathercat software?

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2013, 03:51:44 PM »
Have you tried shutting WeatherCat down and restarting it since you turned off AppNap?
Blick

hanspost

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2013, 04:01:52 PM »
Yes I did.
Still the FTP upload time out error.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2013, 04:10:36 PM »
Ok, I suggest you switch this topic to a more appropriate thread. This thread is not a good place to post about this issue.

Go here, read through it to make sure this is the same issue you have and post a summary of your troubles and what you have tried so far.

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1016.0
Blick

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2013, 05:00:47 PM »
Hello Hanspost,
If you're running 10.9, you need to reboot your machine after removing the preferences file - from my previous post:

'Nothing has changed in the FTP code for a long time, so no changes there. Weird stuff can sometimes be caused by a corrupt preferences file - you can try quitting WeatherCat, renaming your existing preferences file, rebooting the machine then launching WeatherCat and set it back up (when you rename or delete the preferences file, all settings revert back to defaults).'

WeatherCat uses the OS to talk to FTP servers (via CURL), it doesn't actually deal with the FTPing of the file - it passes the parameters and waits for the result. Most of the parameters are stored in the preferences file, you passwords are stored in the keychain, so if you still have the problem after clearing the preferences, check your keychain for issues with WeatherCat FTP passwords.

hanspost

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2013, 08:59:30 AM »
Hello,
I've removed the file, rebooted my mac and then filled in all the preferences again.
Still FTP is not working. When I setup my FTP details and push "test" I get a FTP error after a few minutes (screenshot attached).
When I look in my WeatherCat Log file I can see that the proces op FTP uploading is starting (screenshot attached).

Do I have to leave this topic and create another one? I'm not sure if the topic mentioned before is exactly my problem.