Author Topic: Dangerously hot temperatures across portions of the Western US  (Read 228 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, MacBook Pro (Mid 2009)
Dear WeatherCat seekers of moderation in weather,

These days, seeking moderation in weather usually requires one thing - staying inside!  There is an usually early and fierce heat event across the Southwestern deserts and into California.  Here is the National Weather Service bulletin describing it:

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=pmdspd

The relevant bit referring to the West is quoted below:

High pressure aloft will expand across the western U.S. through Monday, with dry conditions and rising temperatures prevailing for most areas. Isolated showers or thunderstorms will be possible each afternoon and evening in mountainous areas. Temperatures will rise substantially across much of the West by Monday, with highs soaring well into the 90s from the interior West Coast states to the Great Basin, 10 to 20 degrees above average. Highs in the California Central Valley and across portions of the Desert Southwest may surpass 110 by Monday.

Under conditions like this, central air conditioning is most definitely a welcome feature!

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Utah
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP™ Data Logger | iMac (late 2013), 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 24 GB RAM, macOS Sierra | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | Supportive Wife
Re: Dangerously hot temperatures across portions of the Western US
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 12:01:53 AM »
It's getting there! We set a new all-time record for UV today here - 13.8 - previous record was 13.0. Hot stuff.  8)

I just bought a solar powered electrical generator for when the whole grid goes down and I still need cold water.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather

It's getting there! We set a new all-time record for UV today here - 13.8 - previous record was 13.0. Hot stuff.  8)

[wink] . . . . Gosh, that sure does beat my UV record.  It seems to be zero all the time.  Maybe that's because I never did buy a UV sensor!  lol(1)

Given your altitude, the UV is more of an issue.  At the moment though I would gladly trade your daytime high for mine.  Today was the first time this year we topped the century mark.

I just bought a solar powered electrical generator for when the whole grid goes down and I still need cold water.

In your location, power outages are to be expected given how remote you are.  Alas in California there does seem to be trouble brewing.  There was some concern that the upcoming eclipse could so reduce the solar output that outages might occur.  Is this truly a reasonable way to operate a power grid?   [rolleyes2]

Oh well, . . . . Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Dangerously hot temperatures across portions of the Western US (II)
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 11:16:59 PM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of extreme weather,

It has been a hot summer across the Western United States with the high pressure that is usually centered across the four-corners region being unusually large and strong.  There is a National Weather Service short-term discussion about it:

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=pmdspd

What makes this heat event especially amazing is that the high pressure is so large that it is effecting even Seattle's weather!  Here is the forecast for Seattle:

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Seattle&state=WA

and here is the forecast for San Francisco:

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=San+Francisco&state=CA

Anyone notice something kind of cattywampus in this situation?  :o

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Utah
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP™ Data Logger | iMac (late 2013), 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 24 GB RAM, macOS Sierra | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | Supportive Wife
Re: Dangerously hot temperatures across portions of the Western US (II)
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 12:34:03 AM »
Anyone notice something kind of cattywampus in this situation?  :o

Vocabulary word of the day award. Congratulations.

And yes, it's hot here too, by mountain standards. We hit 79°F (26°C) this afternoon.
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 27" iMac 2.7 GHz i5, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 10.12, WeatherCat
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 12:33:34 AM »
In our travels, we encountered some pretty hot days. Hottest was 107°F in central South Dakota. This is the first time I have ever experienced "dry heat." We were standing there in the sun, talking to some people, when I noticed that my shirt wasn't drenched. Not even damp! They must have through me weird, as I was pulling my shirt out, looking at armpits, just curious as could be.

Yesterday, our last day on the road trip, it was 69°F and 89% humidity, and I was pretty wet just loading the truck up to hit the road. Welcome back to the midwest...
Meteotemplate Testing

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA
Current WeatherCat Status

CWOP: DW8454 • WU: KOHAVON11 • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn •  UK Met Office
MWWN •PWSweather • WeatherBug • WeatherCloud • Twitter • Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Desert heat is very different from wet. (Re: Dangerously hot temperatures)
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 11:20:29 PM »
Dear Steve and WeatherCat voyagers,

In our travels, we encountered some pretty hot days. Hottest was 107°F in central South Dakota. This is the first time I have ever experienced "dry heat." We were standing there in the sun, talking to some people, when I noticed that my shirt wasn't drenched. Not even damp! They must have through me weird, as I was pulling my shirt out, looking at armpits, just curious as could be.

Yes, extremely low humidity has some odd effects.  When I was living in San Diego I would travel to the deserts to the East where an astronomy club had some observing sessions.  Driving up I would get completely soaked in sweat because in those days my trusty wagon didn't have A/C.  As soon as I stepped out of the car, all my clothes would dry up almost immediately and I felt cool because of all the rapid evaporation.

Of course the low humidity is really hard on areas like your sinuses.  We have to run a humidifier during heat waves to spare our noses.  I'm sure that's something hard to imagine in the Midwest!

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Utah
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 05:35:27 AM »
Yesterday, our last day on the road trip, it was 69°F and 89% humidity, and I was pretty wet just loading the truck up to hit the road. Welcome back to the midwest...

Welcome home Steve, it's nice to have you back on the forum.
Blick