Author Topic: What has been the climate for May according to WeatherCat?  (Read 11429 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear WeatherCat climate watchers,

For sometime now I have been posting the Climate Prediction Center forecasts like this one for the month that is almost over:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2737.msg26626#msg26626

I have always been suspicious about the accuracy of these forecasts but didn't have an easy way to test them.  In WeatherCat 3, Stu added some tags that provides a nice summary of the climate.  Grand used them for a report in WeatherCatRCP.  Here is the text:

Code: [Select]
R3 - L$ at D$
Build: BD$
STTHISMONTHOV$

STLASTMONTHOV$

This is a neat way to get a quick read on the climate of this past month.   Here is what this report looks like for Canebas weather station:

As you can see, it has been slightly cooler than normal in the San Francisco Bay Area, not much warmer as the Climate Prediction Center expected.

Since it is relatively easy to collect these tags, I thought we might share with one another these reports to compare what the climate has been at our respective locations compared with what was predicted by the CPC.  It may or may not reassure us about our weather and climate intuitions. . . . . 

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. Of course those of us running WeatherCatRCP might use that report just to give Grand a plug! . . . .  [tup]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: What has been the climate for May according to WeatherCat?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 12:33:22 AM »
Nice suggestion, Edouard.

Here is mine. In our case, here in the mountains of Northern Utah, the CPS one-month forecast for May called for a 70-80% chance of above normal temperatures. They called it correctly. The CPS also said there was a 40-50% chance of above average precipitation. Alas, this prediction was a bust.
Blick

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 12:48:30 AM »
Hi Gang
 I don't have that special weather for the programmed in my WC
But this has been the warmest May on record here in central Ohio per channel 6 weather team [sweat2]

cheers

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
  • It is far better to wear out than to rust away.
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
  • Station Details: Weather station: Davis Vantage Pro2. Software: WeatherCat. Computer: Mac Mini, High Sierra OS
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 08:04:16 AM »
Here is my report for Nottinghamshire, UK ...

May so far has been...
   Warmer than average (13.2?C versus an average of 11.3)
   Dryer than average (28.40 mm versus an average total of 44.18)
   Calmer than average (a wind run of 1842 miles versus an average of 2827)

April was...
   Warmer than average (9.1?C versus an average of 8.5)
   Wetter than average (70.40 mm versus an average total of 35.03)
   Windier than average (a wind run of 3048 miles versus an average of 2753)

I use the tags on my 'this month / last month summary' page ...

http://www.selstonweather.info/wxthislastmonth.php

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks for sharing! (Re: What has been the climate for May)
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 11:07:59 PM »
Thanks for sharing everyone!  [tup]

Anyone else with data they would like to share?

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 01:06:05 PM »
In the Netherlands, May 2018 was...

Warmer than average (17,2?C versus an average of 14,1)
   Dryer than average (48,20 mm versus an average total of 58,92)
   Calmer than average (a wind run of 1171 km versus an average of 1518)

'Warmer' is an understatement: our Royal National Meteorological Institute's (KNMI) news bulletin stated that May 2018 was the warmest May in at least three centuries, i.e. since reliable measurements started in 1706. The previous record (1889) was crushed by a 0.4?C margin.

I live further south (= warmer) but the KNMI figures of the current top-10 for 'De Bilt' are as below:

Jos

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 06:32:32 PM »
JosBaz:

I am so impressed that Nederland has 3 centuries of data. Amazing.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Interesting (Re: Climate for May)
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 11:36:18 PM »
Dear Jos, Blick, and WeatherCat climate watchers,

In the Netherlands, May 2018 was...

Warmer than average (17,2?C versus an average of 14,1)
   Dryer than average (48,20 mm versus an average total of 58,92)
   Calmer than average (a wind run of 1171 km versus an average of 1518)

Interesting that everyone else thus far reporting is easily on the high side of normal.  Coastal California has its interaction with the Humboldt cold water current but I wouldn't have expected it to make us so much more the exception.

'Warmer' is an understatement: our Royal National Meteorological Institute's (KNMI) news bulleting stated that May 2018 was the warmest May in at least three centuries, i.e. since reliable measurements started in 1706.

I am so impressed that Nederland has 3 centuries of data. Amazing.

That is interesting considering that, according to Wikipedia, the first reliable thermometer wasn't invented until 1714 by the Dutchman: Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermometer#Early_developments

However, it is clear that other schemes were in place before that.  I would be interested to know what was the thermometer that was used in Belgium before the Fahrenheit thermometer was invented.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 02:18:16 AM »
I would be interested to know what was the thermometer that was used in Belgium before the Fahrenheit thermometer was invented.
Probably used different types of chocolate... ;)

"1974"?!!! Are you sure about that date? I thought it was 1973.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Da' devil made me dood it! (Re: What has been the climate for May?)
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 10:36:57 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat purveyors of delicious instruments! . . .  [biggrin]

I would be interested to know what was the thermometer that was used in Belgium before the Fahrenheit thermometer was invented.
Probably used different types of chocolate... ;)

[wink] . . . . Ah ha!  That explains it!  Fahrenheit had to come up with another thermometer so that people would stop eating it before he could get the daily reading!  lol(1)

"1974"?!!! Are you sure about that date? I thought it was 1973.

[wink] . . . . Da' devil twisted my fingers da' wrong way! . . . . . . . .  [biggrin]

Corrected on the original posting!

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
Re: Interesting (Re: Climate for May)
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 07:12:42 PM »
That is interesting considering that, according to Wikipedia, the first reliable thermometer wasn't invented until 1714 by the Dutchman: Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermometer#Early_developments

However, it is clear that other schemes were in place before that.  I would be interested to know what was the thermometer that was used in Belgium before the Fahrenheit thermometer was invented.

Hi Edouard,

Klaas Kruik (Nicolas Cruquius), was a Dutch land surveyor, cartographer, astronomer and weatherman who did the measurements.

He was a perfectionist who liked to measure things and he calculated temperature measurements in Fahrenheit from 1706 to 1734, his historical calculations are still used today by the KNMI, the Dutch meteorological institute. He not only measured weather changes in wind speed, rainfall, air pressure, temperature, and humidity, but also measured sea level.

The first measurements were made by Cruquius, who used primitive instruments including a U-shaped thermometer, which consisted of a closed tube filled with liquid, of which one end ended up in a glass bowl. When air was warmer, the air expanded and pushed the  liquid down. Primitive but appearantly accurate enough for our Meteorologial institute to consider them reliable.

Jos

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Thanks for sharing! (Re: Climate for May)
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 12:08:43 AM »
Dear Jos and WeatherCat history enthusiasts,

Klaas Kruik (Nicolas Cruquius), was a Dutch land surveyor, cartographer, astronomer and weatherman who did the measurements.

. . . . . .

Thanks for sharing that snippet of meteorological history!  :)  I thought it might be an interesting story and indeed it was!  [interesting]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 06:18:57 AM »
I enjoyed that historical summary as well. Thanks for posting.
Blick

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 01:03:39 PM »
Same data for the west coast of Scotland:

May was...
   Warmer than average (12.3?C versus an average of 10.6)
   Dryer than average (18.80 mm versus an average total of 57.01)
   Calmer than average (a wind run of 2056 miles versus an average of 2945)

Again, quite a bit warmer than average and it's still going on - here's June's:

June so far has been...
   Warmer than average (15.4?C versus an average of 13.3)
   Dryer than average (14.80 mm versus an average total of 59.02)
   Calmer than average (a wind run of 252 miles versus an average of 2150)

Cheers,
Stu.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Thanks for sharing! (Re: What has been the climate for May)
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 11:19:19 PM »
Thanks for sharing Stu!  ThU32:-)

Coastal Northern California continues to be on a "yo-yo" of alternating heat and cold.  At the moment we are still below average, but obviously there is 2/3s of the month still available to shift the balance.