Author Topic: Looking For URL Schemes For WeatherCat and WeatherCatRCP Apps  (Read 4013 times)

DaveHawk

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW1712
    • KOHCANAL12
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Looking For URL Schemes For WeatherCat and WeatherCatRCP Apps
« on: January 07, 2019, 04:51:42 PM »
Hi,

I have need for the URL schemes for the WeatherCat and WeatherCatRCP IOS apps.  Can anyone help me?

Thanks

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
Re: Looking For URL Schemes For WeatherCat and WeatherCatRCP Apps
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 06:48:11 PM »
Please explain what you mean by "URL scheme".

DaveHawk

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW1712
    • KOHCANAL12
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 07:32:37 PM »
It is a way to call another app (residing on your device) from another app. For example, within the Indigo app you could call the Dark sky app with darksky://.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 10:00:21 PM »
It is a way to call another app (residing on your device) from another app. For example, within the Indigo app you could call the Dark sky app with darksky://.

WeatherCat 3 has a Rich Client Protocol (RCP) to get information from WeatherCat. An RCP query is a URL such as http://localhost:49255/webtag/STAT$TEMPERATURE:CURRENT$. Replace "localhost" with the address of a local or remote machine running WeatherCat to get the requested data.

Try this: Enter http://www.trixology-eng.com:49255/webtag/STAT$TEMPERATURE:CURRENT$ into the address field of your favorite browser. You will receive a XML reply containing the current temperature from the Trixology test server. Appendix 7 in the WeatherCat 3 User Manual has detailed information about the RCP.

The XML reply to a RCP query is unique to WeatherCat and only "understood" by WeatherCatRCP. WeatherCatRCP uses RCP to make its queries, but does not reply to RCP queries like WeatherCat does.

There is a WeatherCat SDK is designed to allow third parties to develop application plug-ins for WeatherCat. See the WeatherCat 3 User Manual for more information about the SDK.

Meteotemplate has an API, but I am not familiar enough with it to know if it will help you.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 10:19:40 PM »
If it's just pointing to a file on your drive (such as one created by WC), you might try "file:///completePathToFile" as in file:///Users/yourUserName/Documents/Sites/Home_Page.html. It probably depends on the app making the request. There is also AppleScript.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

DaveHawk

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW1712
    • KOHCANAL12
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 11:03:11 PM »
Thank you Grand Poohbah,

I thank you for the information, I will be making use of it.  However, that is not what I am looking for.  My understanding of URL schemes is that they have to be built into the app by the app developer - I think it easy to do.  But the developer has latitude in the scheme names and whatnot, making it hard to find the URL scheme, if it even exists.  An example of a call to another app can be demonstrated by typing "applenews://" into the address bar on the Safari IOS app; on the first invocation it will ask you to confirm that you want to open the Apple News app.  From the Indigo Touch app I can plugin URL's including "URL Schemes" such as the example provided. I would like to be able to invoke WeatherCat and WeatherCatRCP from within the Indigo app, an example might be WeatherCatRCP://.   https://help.contrast.co/hc/en-us/articles/200865293-URL-Scheme-Intro-for-App-Developers, offers an insight into the process.

Thanks again.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear DaveHawk, Grand, X-Air and WeatherCat scripters,

I thank you for the information, I will be making use of it.  However, that is not what I am looking for.  My understanding of URL schemes is that they have to be built into the app by the app developer - I think it easy to do. 
. . . .

Honestly, I've never heard of any such requirement and harbor some suspicions because what you describing is a potential security nightmare.  What sort of information are you seeking to get from either WeatherCat or WeatherCatRCP?  There might be another way to accomplish what you are trying to obtain.

Cheers, Edouard

DaveHawk

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW1712
    • KOHCANAL12
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 12:28:55 AM »
To all,

I guess I have failed to explain adequately what I want to do.   All I am asking if an embedded URL scheme exists within the WeatherCat APP and the WeatherCatRCP APP. It is code that the developer has to encode within the IOS app.  It has nothing to do with the WeatherCat software running on the Mac computer.  If you have an IOS device (iPhone/Ipad) please try my example that invokes the Apple News app from the Safari IOS app.  There is nothing devious or danger in this, it is used all the time in shortcuts and the like.

Thank you.

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 01:43:25 AM »
To all,

I guess I have failed to explain adequately what I want to do.   All I am asking if an embedded URL scheme exists within the WeatherCat APP and the WeatherCatRCP APP. It is code that the developer has to encode within the IOS app.  It has nothing to do with the WeatherCat software running on the Mac computer.  If you have an IOS device (iPhone/Ipad) please try my example that invokes the Apple News app from the Safari IOS app.  There is nothing devious or danger in this, it is used all the time in shortcuts and the like.

Thank you.

The Apple URL Scheme has been around for quite a while and is very cool. Now that I understand what you want to do, I can tell you that there is nothing in the WeatherCat or WeatherCatRCP apps that allows you to access its data from another app.

I am curious - what URL schemes do you need?

DaveHawk

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW1712
    • KOHCANAL12
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 03:17:08 AM »
Very simple, just the ability to execute the apps with, say, progname://, nothing more than that. If you have some other ideas that would be fine too. Thanks for the consideration.

###########
I have been thinking about your question concerning what URL schemes would be nice. I'd like to suggest that in addition to the simple URL's, it would be nice to juice up the WeatherCatRCP a little, since it is so rich in options. In addition to the simple URL I suggested, it would be nice to be able to directly access at the very least a URL to the -> more -> "classic"  mode within WeatherCatRCP.

Thanks.