Author Topic: Site Placement - Sunshine & ET  (Read 2507 times)

jg

• Strong Breeze
Site Placement - Sunshine & ET
« on: August 31, 2015, 09:23:31 PM »
My weather station (Vantage Pro 2) at my Maine house is in a woodsy area that is good in that it gets no heat from the house or road, gets relatively accurate wind readings, but the solar readings are completely inaccurate.

I noticed that I can move the Solar and UV sensors up to 125' - would their placement in a more typically sunny location translate into more accurate ET and Sunshine Hour readings?

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Tree height? (Re: Site Placement - Sunshine & ET)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 10:59:47 PM »
Dear JG and WeatherCat station design consultants,

My weather station (Vantage Pro 2) at my Maine house is in a woodsy area that is good in that it gets no heat from the house or road, gets relatively accurate wind readings, but the solar readings are completely inaccurate.

I noticed that I can move the Solar and UV sensors up to 125' - would their placement in a more typically sunny location translate into more accurate ET and Sunshine Hour readings?

I suspect you can answer your question better than we can.  It depends on the height of the trees nearby.  If that's enough to get above the trees, of course that will solve your problem.

Something to keep in mind is that evapotranspiration is a relative number that should represent the amount of solar radiation and wind that the plants are exactly experiencing.  The Penman?Monteith equation that is incorporated into the Vantage Pro 2 is an estimate of evapotranspiration for grasses.  So it isn't a number that applies to the tree-tops.

However, there is no doubt that if you get your solar radiation sensor above the trees, then you'll get more reasonable values for the number of sunshine hours.

I suppose you need to ask yourself what value you get out of either parameter.  Sunshine hours have a practical use.  Evapotranspiration can be useful in gardening, but only if the sensors experience similar conditions to the plants being watered.  If you aren't gardening - no worries!

Cheers, Edouard

P.S. You can run two different versions of the Blaney?Criddle equation on WeatherCat.  There is a dedicated AppleScript and an AppleScript synthetic channel.  The Blaney?Criddle equation isn't nearly as accurate in locations with high humidity, but given that you cannot easily get good Penman?Monteith estimates, perhaps a second estimate could be useful to you.

jg

• Strong Breeze
Re: Site Placement - Sunshine & ET
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 01:50:18 AM »
Are the Solar Radiation sensors used for Sunshine calcs?  I'm getting them out on the open, not on top of the trees.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Believe sensor is used. (Re: Site Placement - Sunshine & ET)
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 11:42:44 PM »
Dear JG and WeatherCat fans,

Are the Solar Radiation sensors used for Sunshine calcs?  I'm getting them out on the open, not on top of the trees.

I searched the WeatherCat manual and found a reference to the solar sensor being used to determine hours of sunshine for at least one model of stations.  To be absolutely sure, send an email to WeatherCat technical support but I believe so.

Edouard

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 05:18:08 PM »
Yep, from the solar sensor.

jg

• Strong Breeze
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 05:19:04 PM »
Thanks.