Author Topic: Receiving Double Emails...  (Read 3648 times)

jg

• Strong Breeze
Receiving Double Emails...
« on: August 26, 2015, 01:59:03 AM »
I have two WeatherCat installations, both running 2.2.  One of them has been sending me two email notifications (one from Apple Mail, the other from First Class) but only to my iPhone, my regular inbox only shows one. This happens whenever it rains, with an icon that looks like Apple Mail.  I think way back we needed OS X Mail to send emails, but it isn't needed anymore.  I deleted all the email accounts on the server machine that is sending me double emails, but I'm still getting them.

Any idea how to fix this?

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Running any AppleScripts? (Re: Receiving Double Emails...)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 09:37:28 PM »
Dear JG and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

I have two WeatherCat installations, both running 2.2.  One of them has been sending me two email notifications (one from Apple Mail, the other from First Class) but only to my iPhone, my regular inbox only shows one. This happens whenever it rains, with an icon that looks like Apple Mail.  I think way back we needed OS X Mail to send emails, but it isn't needed anymore.  I deleted all the email accounts on the server machine that is sending me double emails, but I'm still getting them.

Any idea how to fix this?

WeatherCat has never used Apple Mail, but my AppleScripts do.  Are you running any of them by chance?

Otherwise the only mechanism I could imagine is Apple Mail have a mail action rule that is duplicating the emails sent from WeatherCat.  As far as I know, it is simply impossible for WeatherCat to send more than one email at a time.  You can only supply one address.

Let us know if you uncover anything.

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Receiving Double Emails...
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 10:56:42 PM »
Perhaps you have two different addresses in the WC Prefs->Email-> "Email 'From' Field" and the "Admin Addreses" and even the "User Addresses" area. Then, there are the checkboxes at the bottom of that pref.

BTW, I note that the labels for the address fields says "addresses", plural. Comma delimited? Seems to work. [tup]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Stand corrected (Re: Receiving Double Emails...)
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 11:18:16 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat power users,

BTW, I note that the labels for the address fields says "addresses", plural. Comma delimited? Seems to work. [tup]

Yes, you are correct.  I had forgotten you could provide multiple addresses.  The way I run my setup there is no need for multiple addresses, but I suppose with our more complicated lives, it might be handy to have more than one admin address.  For example, you might add a temporary address to get notifications while on a vacation.

Thanks for reminding us of this feature!  [tup]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 03:26:52 AM »
"Email on vacations"?! Is that legal?! :o

We leave the country next Wed. I plan on turning cellular data connections before crossing the border!! We'll have WiFi most nights, that's more than enough! ;) [tup]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 09:17:37 AM »
If you 'hover' your mouse over any of the widgets in WeatherCat, you'll get a pop up with more detail about any given field (if more is necessary - so in the case of the email addresses it'll tell you you can use a comma separated list.

WeatherCat will only send to the addresses in the list and can only send to the one email server (it uses the Python mail framework to do this as Apple provides no method in Cocoa to send an email). Duplicate emails on all receiving clients might be explained by having the same address in both the user list and the admin lists, but duplicates only on one email client must be down to some other issue (a rule somewhere?)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 03:59:21 PM »
If you 'hover' your mouse over any of the widgets in WeatherCat, you'll get a pop up with more detail about any given field (if more is necessary - so in the case of the email addresses it'll tell you you can use a comma separated list.

Wow! I did not know this and have never discovered it on my own. I just went into Preferences to try it out. Sure enough, there is a wealth of online help I did not know existed. Thanks, Stu.

By the way, I cannot find any mention of this tip in the User Manual. (Doesn't mean it isn't there; it just means I couldn't find it in the places I thought it might be mentioned (Basic Setup, User Interface, WeatherCat Preferences).
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Oooh! and grumble . . . (Re: Receiving Double Emails...)
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 10:47:13 PM »
Howdy Blick, Stu, and WeatherCat fans,

Wow! I did not know this and have never discovered it on my own. I just went into Preferences to try it out. Sure enough, there is a wealth of online help I did not know existed. Thanks, Stu.

Oooh!  I didn't know about this either.  Very cool indeed!  8)  Great job Stu!  [tup]

WeatherCat uses the Python mail framework to do this as Apple provides no method in Cocoa to send an email.

So nobody at Apple ever thought that a Cocoa application might actually have to send an email . . . .  [rolleyes2]

Sure need to send a serious wake-up call do those "fellers" in Cupertino.

Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 11:31:50 PM »
Well, they do provide a way to send mail, most people use the app for that. And Python is not difficult to install and PHP already comes installed. ;) I suspect Apple just didn't feel like making junque mail any easier than it already is. Most people are on interweb connections that prohibit running even a mail server, anyway.

jg

• Strong Breeze
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 08:18:57 PM »
Fixed my problem - on the iPhone in Notifications the Apple Mail was turned on for "High Priority/VIP" and somehow my iPhone thinks my Maine WeatherCat sender is a VIP.  All fixed.