Author Topic: British Summer Weather  (Read 3344 times)

embayweather

• Strong Breeze
    • DW3656
    • lENGLAND128
    • Lancastrian Imaging
  • Station Details: Oregon WM928, Intel Mac 2.5Ghz, I5 Quad core, Met Office spec manual instruments, Cat, WD, 1-wire, Labjack, Lightning Radar
British Summer Weather
« on: June 22, 2012, 04:35:31 PM »
The Olympic Torch was scheduled to go through our village today, and I was duly asked to take pictures for my brother over there in sunny California.
My wide and I stood for around an hour in the pouring rain, and howling gale, to find that the runners with the torch were inside a bus, and thus we missed them.
Today is the first day of summer. So far I have had over and inch of rain since midnight, not yet 1700 here, and gusts up to 43 mph. There is standing water everywhere, broken branches and leaves , my anemometer masts look like they are at a disco, and the cats have had a pyjama day. I have a wedding tomorrow as well.
So if this is summer roll on winter. Looking at the GRIB data for next week it should get warmer, the rain that is!!!!!!

Best wishes

Mike

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
Re: British Summer Weather
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 05:47:40 PM »
I know how you feel Mike, not quite so bad over here on the East coast, but it does make you want to pack a bag and move to California for a few days of heat and dry weather.  [cheer]

Could be worse though, could have been going to the Isle of Wight festival  [thunder] [thunder] recording it on Sky 3d instead  [lol]

JC

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Try *Southern* California!! (Re: British Summer Weather)
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 07:49:30 PM »
Howdy Mike, JC, and WeatherCat fans,

I know how you feel Mike, not quite so bad over here on the East coast, but it does make you want to pack a bag and move to California for a few days of heat and dry weather.  [cheer]

Well, when you book your flight be choosy of your destination.  I'm not getting the rain I asked for, but at the moment, Northern California is definitely not the dry heat that you'all are looking for:

On the other hand, the forecast high for Death Valley is: 109˚ F (42.8˚ C) . . . . That should definitely take the "chill" out of your bones!  [sweat2]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

embayweather

• Strong Breeze
    • DW3656
    • lENGLAND128
    • Lancastrian Imaging
  • Station Details: Oregon WM928, Intel Mac 2.5Ghz, I5 Quad core, Met Office spec manual instruments, Cat, WD, 1-wire, Labjack, Lightning Radar
Re: British Summer Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 11:43:07 PM »
Now running close to 50mm of rain, nearing 2400 local time. Wind still blowing, rain still coming, and going to; carry on coming tomorrow. Average rain for June is 67mm for my station, thus approaching a month's rain in 24 hours. And my anemometers masts are still at the disco.

Ho hum

Best wishes

Mike