Author Topic: Weathercat not working after migration to new iMac with OSX Yosemite  (Read 3533 times)

Denver

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW3940
    • KCASCOTT13
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue, Data Logger, iMac 10.10.5, WeatherCat 1.23 Build 16
Hi,

I first installed Weathercat in November 2013 with OSX Snow Leopard and connected to a Davis Vantage Vue weather station.  All has been working well until yesterday when I purchased a new iMac and tried to migrate Weathercat to the new machine.   

I migrated Weathercat 1.2.3 to the new iMac, unplugged the Vantage Vue Console USB cord from the old iMac and plugged it into the new iMac.   Then restarted the new iMac, and Weathercat tried to start, but still complained it could not find the weather station.   So next I upgraded to Weathercat 2.1, rebooted the iMac and Weathercat started again but still could not find the weather station.

Also, funny thing in the weathercat preferences, in the email section, the "test now" email alert works fine on the old iMac, but with the exact same parameters it fails on the new iMac.   The port is 587 on both preferences screens, just as all the other parameters are the same.

So I don't know why weathercat can no longer find the vantage vue weather station.   I guess that I could plug the VV USB cable back into the old iMac, but then all of the data being stored up over the past day would load onto the old iMac and the new iMac would lose that history data.

Any ideas?  It has been well over two years since I set up the weather station and weathercat, and I cannot remember all the details that I maybe should check.

Thank you,

Denver in Scott Bar, California (weather station down...)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Denver:

I have migrated WeatherCat 4 times in the last two years. I have never used the Migration Assistant to do that but each time I have done it, I followed the instructions for manual migration on the WeatherCat Wiki. Have a look there and see if you left anything out.

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Moving_a_WeatherCat_installation_from_one_computer_to_another
Blick

Denver

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW3940
    • KCASCOTT13
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue, Data Logger, iMac 10.10.5, WeatherCat 1.23 Build 16
Okay, thanks Blick.   I will give that a try.

#2 on the list says "Also be sure to install the correct drivers for your station or USB to serial converter* on the new machine before running WeatherCat."

This leaves me trying to remember if I had to install any drivers on my old Mac in order for it to see the Davis Vantage Vue Console using the USB cable.   I remember having to by Weatherlink software in order to get the small hardware piece that adapts the VV Console to the USB cable.   

I never used the WeatherLink software, just used the small hardware piece, but I cannot remember if I had to install drivers.   Old age, I guess.

Does anyone know if I need to install drivers on the Mac, given I already have the hardware piece that adapts the VV Console to the USB cable?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Denver

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
First, Congrats on a new Mac! ;)

I believe the "driver" being referred to is for the data logger. The Console outputs a serial stream of data, if I'm correct, but the driver is needed to convert it to data WC can use. At any rate, it may be as easy to download the driver from <Silicon Labs >as it would be to locate it on the old Mac. The Mac download is between "Download for WinCE" and "Download for Linux". <Here's a thread> that explains why it's needed, how to determine which version you might have, and experiences from installing it.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Wiki troubleshooting tips. (Re: Weathercat not working)
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 11:53:32 PM »
Dear Denver, Blick, xairbusdriver, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Sounds like everyone else has jumped all over this one.  It definitely sounds like the USB to UART Bridge VCP Driver is out of date.  However, just in case you have any other problems, you might want to check out the page on the WeatherCat Wiki on Davis stations:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Davis

At the bottom is a little of troubleshooting tips.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Denver

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW3940
    • KCASCOTT13
 [cheers1]   You guys are great !      It was two things.   First WeatherCat would  not start properly because library files did not get moved across, as they were hidden under and I had to make them visible before doing the move.   Second, that new driver did the trick and now WeatherCat is connected to the VV Console and the data looks good.

Just when you start to hate technology, it all works out.

Appreciate your help!

Denver

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
"I love it when a plan comes together!" (John "Hannibal" Smith, A-Team)

So happy to hear you are back up and running and that you have a new iMac!
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
I'm still not sure why Apple decided to hide the user library. But you can have it available without doing the Go menu with the added 'option' key dance every time. [banghead]

Just do that "dance" once Go menu, option key to show "Library" item, and select it. It may open in a new window or just an item in the column view. No matter how it appears, just drag it to the Finder Side Bar. It will now be there until you decide to remove it. [tup] As the famous lawyer says on the TV ad, "It's your Library! Use it the way you want!" [rolleyes2] [bounce]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
I'm still not sure why Apple decided to hide the user library. But you can have it available with doing the Go menu with the added 'option' key dance every time.

Good point. After a while, I decided that I just wanted to go back to the way it was in the old days. Here is an easy explanation of how you can permanently have your user library show up in Finder and you don't even have to run some arcane Unix command in the Terminal to do it:

http://osxdaily.com/2014/12/16/show-user-library-folder-os-x-yosemite/
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
Yeah, that would work. Just a lot of steps. Sorry, I got lost in the steps. Just drag it to the Side Bar and it's always there. You kinda need a Finder (or, better yet, a PathFinder window) open to do anything in the ~/Library, anyway. ;)

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
Re: Weathercat not working after migration to new iMac with OSX Yosemite
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 02:57:41 AM »
That wouldn't work on mine, Blick. It should have. The checkbox beside Show Library stayed, but the Library folder was a no show. So, I Xaired it. That'll work.

[cheers1]
Herb