Author Topic: OS 10.7 (Lion)  (Read 4041 times)

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
OS 10.7 (Lion)
« on: May 30, 2012, 12:18:31 PM »
Hello Folks,

today I have done the Update to Lion on my WeatherMac dedicated MacBook from 10.6.8 to 10.7.4. (Ok, maybe I am out of date, but I didn't feel the need of updating to Lion before now.) Nearly three hours offline with my weatherstation because of the 4 GB download and installation process. After all (seems to be) working well, I started WeatherCat: No Station found...  ??? But I expected a message like this.  ;)

I am using a FutureTechnology Serial to USB adapter, so I "only" had to find and download a driver for it that works under 10.7.x: Found & installed it and WeatherCat works as ever before!  :D
If anybody else is in trouble with this adapter, here you are the driver that works good for me: http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/ICs/FT232R.htm

Maybe this topic will be a good place to tell what Serial to USB adapter you are using and what driver is good for this adapter to work with Lion.
 [cheers1]

Reinhard

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: OS 10.7 (Lion)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 05:13:13 PM »
Thanks for the info Reinhard - I'm sure that'll be useful to people in the future.

Cheers,
Stu.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Still have to do this . . . (Re: OS 10.7 (Lion))
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 10:45:07 PM »
Hi Reinhard and WeatherCat fans,

today I have done the Update to Lion on my WeatherMac dedicated MacBook from 10.6.8 to 10.7.4. (Ok, maybe I am out of date, but I didn't feel the need of updating to Lion before now.)

Oh yeah, well I still haven't done it.  At this rate I'll be upgrading to Lion just to upgrade to Mountain Lion!!  [lol2]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

dogear

• Gentle Breeze
    • Dilligaf Ranch
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 fan aspirated, UV and Solar, Mac Mini Dedicated, OS 10.6.8
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 02:43:05 PM »
I would like to join this club, still haven't updated! Not sure when. Might wait until Apple no longer supports 10.6.8. Cheers

lakedog

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW4001, DW4184, D9315
    • KGAGAINE13, KGASAUTE2, KGAGAINE24
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro(Phasing out, failing wind speed), Davis Vantage Pro2
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 10:02:43 PM »
Hello Folks,

today I have done the Update to Lion on my WeatherMac dedicated MacBook from 10.6.8 to 10.7.4. (Ok, maybe I am out of date, but I didn't feel the need of updating to Lion before now.) Nearly three hours offline with my weatherstation because of the 4 GB download and installation process. After all (seems to be) working well, I started WeatherCat: No Station found...  ??? But I expected a message like this.  ;)

I am using a FutureTechnology Serial to USB adapter, so I "only" had to find and download a driver for it that works under 10.7.x: Found & installed it and WeatherCat works as ever before!  :D
If anybody else is in trouble with this adapter, here you are the driver that works good for me: http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/ICs/FT232R.htm

Maybe this topic will be a good place to tell what Serial to USB adapter you are using and what driver is good for this adapter to work with Lion.
 [cheers1]

I have this problem with two different adaptors with Prolific chips. I have tried new drivers and have had no success. The adaptor shows up on the system profile, but is not seen by either WeatherCat or LWC2.

Anybody had any luck with this chip? I am about to punt and order a usb logger before I spend more on adaptors and time than the new logger!

Thanks.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
USB is the path of least resistance (Re: OS 10.7)
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 11:26:42 PM »
Hi Lakedog and WeatherCat fans,

I have this problem with two different adaptors with Prolific chips. I have tried new drivers and have had no success. The adaptor shows up on the system profile, but is not seen by either WeatherCat or LWC2.

Anybody had any luck with this chip? I am about to punt and order a usb logger before I spend more on adaptors and time than the new logger!

I've been a USB Davis guy from day-1, so sorry I can't help you with your serial adapter.  Perhaps someone using LeCrosse or Oregon can offer you some advice.

Still, if the cost of the Davis USB data-logger isn't too much of a burden, that's certainly the most trouble-free choice.

Sorry if that sounds like I'm helping you spend your money!!  :-[

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

stardog2000

• Calm
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro, Mac Pro, 3TB on 2 Ext Drives
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 02:50:20 PM »
Greetings,

This information is for Mountain Lion (10.8).  I believe Lion could run in both 32bit and 64bit modes depending on settings; Mountain Lion is 64 bit only.  I have read about problems with drivers depending on the addressing modes used.

Anyway . . . I am currently using a Tripplite (Keyspan) USA-19HS USB-Serial Adaptor on Mountain Lion.  The driver I am using is the only beta driver on the Tripplite website . . it is listed for Lion (10.7).  They do not have any driver listed for Mountain Lion but for me it seems to be working fine.

Dave
Dave Goucher