Author Topic: Windows open when I make WC active first time each day  (Read 2816 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Windows open when I make WC active first time each day
« on: August 28, 2015, 04:57:18 PM »
Why are so many windows open when I make WC active? The title says "first time each day", but I'm not sure it isn't happening more often.

Description: iMac setup (not my Mac mini, 24/7, on-line operation). WC set as a Login Item, set to "Hide" . Usually shutdown manually.

For any reason, when I make WC active and am greeted with every Custom Gauge thumbnail, the Banner Generator (which I don't use but does have some text I entered), and the DALL$ image. Not exactly a problem, I just command-w a dozen or more times. I guess I just don't like un-needed windows! [blush] [lol]

Perhaps deleting the text in the Banner Generator will keep that window closed?

I don't see a pref concerning this, but there is a "Quit and keep Windows" option which I've never knowingly used.

We need a "whine" smiley...
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

awilltx

Re: Windows open when I make WC active first time each day
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 06:11:54 PM »

I have an entire desktop devoted to WC, so all the windows open on that page.

I don't have an answer for your question, but I found you this...

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 06:13:32 PM »
Hi Xair
 Is the Cat going to sleep on you?
This sounds like it maybe waking up each time you open it.
Other than that not sure

cheers

[cheers1]

Maybe some else can shed some light on it

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 06:41:03 PM »
I also have several Gauges showing on the Mac mini installation, but they are the same gauges you'd have on a site. The windows with gauges I'm seeing/whining about are the thumbnails you see when using the "Tools" menu to create/edit a gauge.

I disabled App Nap for WC. Not sure why that would cause it to "wake up" with windows that were not open before it went to sleep. Would be pretty terrifying to me if I woke up to find my surroundings completely altered! [lol] :o

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 10:47:36 PM »
I don't have an answer for your question, but I found you this...

Very nice contribution, Alan.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
WeatherCat "remembers." (Re: Windows open when I make WC active)
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 10:58:08 PM »
Dear X-Air, Alan, Randall, Blick, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Why are so many windows open when I make WC active? The title says "first time each day", but I'm not sure it isn't happening more often.

Description: iMac setup (not my Mac mini, 24/7, on-line operation). WC set as a Login Item, set to "Hide" . Usually shutdown manually.

For any reason, when I make WC active and am greeted with every Custom Gauge thumbnail, the Banner Generator (which I don't use but does have some text I entered), and the DALL$ image. Not exactly a problem, I just command-w a dozen or more times. I guess I just don't like un-needed windows! [blush] [lol]

WeatherCat is supposed to remember which windows you left open and which are closed.  If that isn't happening, you might indeed have a corrupted preference file.   Take a look at the files in this folder:

~/Library/WeatherCatData

If there is a file that seems to correspond with the items that aren't staying closed, try quitting WeatherCat, removing the potentially offending file, starting up WeatherCat and seeing if it now works properly.

We need a "whine" smiley...

Like Alan, I quickly searched the web and immediately found: . . . . . . along with a ton of others.

But more seriously, what we really need is a wine smiley:  

After all, not all foods go well with beer! . . . .  [beer]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. Of course a real foodie would insist on both a white wine and red wine smiley but that might just be a bit greedy!  ;D

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 02:49:33 AM »
WeatherCat is supposed to remember which windows you left open and which are closed.
I agree, that's fairly normal for many apps. OTOH, I'd expect that to be in ~/Library/Preferences/com.trixology.weathercat.plist. I'll take a look in the WeatherCatData file in the morning.

In the com.trixology.weathercat.plist, there are actually five "windowPositionsX" <dict>ionary lists plus one for "factoryWindowPositions1" <dict> list. The data  (<key></key> and <string></string> ) in each <dict> is exactly the same. Absolutely only difference in the six lists is their name. Those identical lists include 15 items, exactly the same number of gauges I defined.

Early in the plist is the following:
<key>GaugesWinOpen</key>
   <string>NO</string>
That might be a setting to keep/show the CUSTOMGAUGE windows open, but the value is "no". Of course, it could be one of those 'reverse logic' settings, or completely irrelevant. [rolleyes2]

OK, there is a ~/Library/Preferences/WeatherCatData/WeatherCatCustomGauges.plist. It appears to be the details of each custom gauges (there's another plist for custom graphs). True, there are exactly 15 of them. However, every one of them have the following <key>value pairs:
<key>window_open</key>
      <false/>
That should be what determines that they should not be visible, normally. That's only my opinion, of course. [lol] I'll search for the other windows tomorrow after the Mac starts up and I'll write down the exact windows that are open.

Say "Goodnight, Gracie."

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 09:08:28 AM »
Are these static images your seeing? Or real gauges? It'll remember the state of all its windows. If they are static images, then it's likely your web browser that's opening them (from a custom web test run maybe?).

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 05:21:13 PM »
Are these static images your seeing? Or real gauges?
As far as I can tell, they are the 'thumbnail' images as you would see after creating them with the Custom Gauges tool. They are in individual windows, just large enough to contain the gauge. Each one sits in the same screen space 'anchored' to the lower, left-hand corner of the window. Strangely, there are windows I don't remember ever creating; I have no UV or 'cloud base' instruments. The only consistent thing is that I did create 15 instruments and that's how many <key><string> pairs there are.

Here's the first bit of the text that is exactly the same in all 6 "Positions" lists:
<key>windowPositions1</key>
   <dict>
      <key>RHWinPos</key>
      <string>597 360 177 122 0 0 2560 1417 </string>
      <key>SolarRadiationWinPos</key>
      <string>597 235 177 122 0 0 2560 1417 </string>
      <key>UVWinPos</key>
      <key>cloudbaseWinPos</key>
      <key>dewWinPos</key>
      <string>354 606 177 122 0 0 2560 1417 </string>
                 . . .
      <key>intTempWinPos</key>
      <string>838 730 177 122 0 0 2560 1417 </string>
      <key>precipitationCWinPos</key>
      <string>354 235 177 122 0 0 2560 1417 </string>
      <key>precipitationWinPos</key>
      <string>354 480 177 122 0 0 2560 1417 </string>
                 . . .
I assume the "0 0 2560 1417" describes the screen location from the top, left corner? The first two number describe the height/width of the window (one corner being the 2560 1417 location, the 354 480 pair being the diagonally opposite corner?

I have renamed the WeatherCatCustomGauges.plist and the WeatherCatToolsPersistenceData.plist while WC is not currently running. I'll see how they differ after WC starts up and re-creates them.

BTW, the WeatherCatToolsPersistenceData.plist is actually an "empty" file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<array/>
</plist>
Perhaps there should be some info there about "persistent" tools data? ;)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 06:25:20 PM »
Restarted WC after name change of the WeatherCatCustomGauges.plist and the WeatherCatToolsPersistenceData.plist as mentioned above.
Results: No windows remained open after start up process. At least one window did open, but it closed so fast I could not identify it. It may have been the DALL$ image, as it seemed to be in the area of the screen I have seen it earlier.

WeatherCatCustomGauges.plist is now an "empty" file, just like WeatherCatToolsPersistenceData.plist was above.

I will now open the Custom Gauges windows and arrange them on my screen and Quit WC, which should, I think, cause the "...Gauges.plist" to be updated. Back in a minute or two (if anyone cares! [blush] ).

OK, amazingly, the WeatherCatCustomGauges.plist is nothing more than a properties list of each of the 15 Custom Gauges! Actually, I never checked that plist until the last post. The com.trixology.weathercat.plist has not changed much, if any. It still has 7 window position lists of 15 gauges and they still seem to be identical sets of strings with eight numbers, all virtually the same set. I don't know what that plist is used for, but it's not causing any problems that I can see. [cheer] WC is opening with several windows flashing extremely briefly, but they are not 'sticking', which is all I was complaining (whining) about. [cheer]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 03:13:38 PM »
Just a follow-up:
The multiple window openings did return. The ultimate fix was to install WC 2.2.1 on the mini last week. I doubt it was any kind of bug in WC but a local file corruption that somehow re-established itself while screen sharing? More logically and likely, it was the 'bit gremlin'!! [goofy]

No other problems since updating the OS, WC version, and my own pages. I did get one Admin email complaining about "Files are being generated faster than they can be uploaded", but once only. Sounds like a bandwidth problem, locally or with the hosting company.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Indeed a web hosting problem. (Re: Windows open)
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 09:27:27 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat fans,

No other problems since updating the OS, WC version, and my own pages. I did get one Admin email complaining about "Files are being generated faster than they can be uploaded", but once only. Sounds like a bandwidth problem, locally or with the hosting company.

That's definitely a problem either with bandwidth or possibly the virtual machine where your web environment is hosted being overloaded.  WC Status Growler will now put up a Growl notification for those thanks to Stu adding that situation to the AppleScript interface.  That can be handy for someone like me who tries not to check his email too often - in order to actually try to get something accomplished!!

Cheers, Edouard