Author Topic: Webcam url shows image in browser but not in WeatherCat  (Read 4620 times)

kelsowx

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW4395
    • IQLDKELS2
  • Station Details: La Crosse WS2306 connected to an iMac OSX 10.8 and now WeatherCat instead of LWC
Webcam url shows image in browser but not in WeatherCat
« on: April 03, 2013, 09:34:49 AM »
Hi

I have setup my IP cameras to ftp an image to this url http://www.djolsen.com/KelsoWX/image.jpg which should show this image

- just a test camera potation at present not very good for weather, but I will move the cam.

which it does in my browser. But when I put the url in the webcam File from URL box, I see no image in the Video Preview. Am I misunderstanding something?

kelsowx

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW4395
    • IQLDKELS2
  • Station Details: La Crosse WS2306 connected to an iMac OSX 10.8 and now WeatherCat instead of LWC
Re: Webcam url shows image in browser but not in WeatherCat
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 12:23:23 PM »
The image displays in my browser at http://www.djolsen.com/KelsoWX/image.jpg, but it does not display in the live video preview. I get Webcam Error:Couldn't read remote file

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 01:59:52 PM »
I have mine set so that the IP camera saves my image file locally on my Mac. Then in WeatherCat, I use the option to "Set Path" instead of the URL. See if that works for you.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 05:13:05 PM »
Hi kelsowx,
I took a look at your image in my browser here, most times it refreshed OK but occasionally I'd get 'That page is temporarily unavailable due to server maintenance.' or a partial image - I'm guessing it's whilst the image is being FTP'd. You may be able to tweak something on the camera or the server to do a rename on upload so the old image remains whilst the new one is being uploaded or have a look to see if your camera makes the image available locally - normally something like http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/snapshot.jpg (where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is a local ip address) - check with the camera manual.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 08:28:51 PM »
WC Dev,

Searching the WC Manual (not the latest, however), I find some worrying (to me) text: p.92, "How ... Use a Webcam...".
Ensure your camera is plugged in and no other program is using it.
While I currently have problems even getting my IP camera to work right now, I'm concerned that it still won't be usable by WC. When it works, the file (an .avi format, BTW) is written as a local file. I don't think it will record without use of Safari. I'll be asking the "tech support" when they call be back.

The alternative seems to be accessing the file via http, but I am assuming that will still be an .avi file. I am also attempting to set up "snapshots" that would be stored on my hosting site space... alas, that is yet another problem.

Sorry for all my assumptions, it would help if I could at least re-gain access to the camera on my LAN. [banghead] Just want to confirm my understanding of your quite simple statement that WC can't use a file (basically) while it's being created.

Thanks!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 10:27:14 PM »
This is referring to a camera connected directly to the computer running WeatherCat. If the camera is Mac/Quicktime compatible and typically these days this means UVC (USB Video Class) then it'll be made available in the Camera pop-up in the webcam preferences. WeatherCat will then control the camera directly.

The other two options allow an image to be picked up either from a file on your hard drive or via a URL. Many IP based cameras make an image available via a URL - if this is the case, you can enter the URL into the 'File From URL' field, and the image will be picked up there. Note, the image must be available via a simple URL - typically any URL involving passwords or usernames generally won't work.

Alternatively, if the camera can FTP the image somewhere, again so its available via a URL, you can pick it up from there again with the 'File From URL' option, but note that if it's FTPing the image, then there's a chance you will occsionaly pick up a partially formed image unless the camera supports uploading with a temporary filename then renaming it when the upload completes.

Alternatively, you can use something like EvoCam to grab an image from the camera and store it somewhere on your hard disk - in this case use the 'Set Path' button in the webcam preferences to point WeatherCat at the image file on disk. In all cases, the file needs to be a snapshot/image (typically a jpg or png) and not a movie file.

Hope that helps  :)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 01:32:48 AM »
Thanks! Especially the "no passwords" part. This camera does have a 'cloud' service (seems most do, and there are also some paid sites). 1. I'm not sure I'd want to use my own hosted space without any P/W required. 2. I'm sending the camera back ASAP, anyway. The 'language barrier' is bad enough, but the set up, even when it claims was successful still refused to store anything on the web; it wouldn't even make a backup of the settings! Why can't things 'just work' like they do with WC?! [removed link to the now castly photobucket.com site] ;D

I've communicated with the Evocam Dev, also (my trail has expired while I 'messed' with the two different cameras).

I think I can accept simple jpeg images, stored locally, rather than fighting more cameras that create large (even when good codecs are used) videos when the only "action" is wind-moved leaves! [lol] But I absolutely want good quality images! Equal to the quality of your software!!

Thanks, again! Hope you have a great weekend (fixing your car?). On this side of the pond, we'll be celebrating an event that occurred right after we left some Empire where the Sun never set! :D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 05:27:59 PM by xairbusdriver »
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system