Author Topic: WeatherCat Scripts *BETA* of 2012-04-26  (Read 11854 times)

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: WeatherCat Scripts *BETA* of 2012-04-26
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 01:48:28 AM »
Hi Edouard,
After seeing an "end of the day" Twitter discussion over on the Weather Display forum, I got to thinking. And I think by now you know that that is both painful and dangerous. ;)

Could I make a second instance if the Twitter AppleScript, rename it, and set the delay to 24 hours. Then launch it at, say, 11:00 PM like the evening news. And create new conversions in the Tag Processor AppleScript to come up with Daily Hi, Low, precipitation, wind speed, etc?

I'm not asking for you to do this, just if it sounds reasonably feasible. If so, I'll give it a go and see if I can learn a bit more about AppleScript by the tried and true method of trial and error. :).

Any suggestions from everyone what might be a good daily summary for the general public? I was thinking along the lines of:

News at 11: Avon-Weather.com daily summary. Temperature Max 77 F, Min 51 F; Precipitation .13 in; Average Wind 13 MPH, Highest Gust 23 MPH

That's 138 characters, so throw a couple minus signs in there and I'd be maxed out. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Yes that might work. (Re: WeatherCat Scripts 2012-04-26)
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 12:55:28 AM »
Howdy Steve and WeatherCat AppleScript fans,

Unfortunately the situation around here has gone from bad to worse, so unfortunately I don't know if I could offer you much help, but . . .

Could I make a second instance if the Twitter AppleScript, rename it, and set the delay to 24 hours. Then launch it at, say, 11:00 PM like the evening news. And create new conversions in the Tag Processor AppleScript to come up with Daily Hi, Low, precipitation, wind speed, etc?

Just thinking it over, I think it will indeed work.  The only thing I'm not sure of is how the authentication would be handled.  I think you would have to give this second version of the script permission to access your Twitter account and then everything would be the same.

So sure, give it a try.  Seems plausible enough.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 03:09:00 AM »
Thanks Edoaurd,

Whatever's up at home, don't concern yourself with us. I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping things are OK or as best as can be, and we're sending best wishes your way.

Take care,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Sis' got the worse of a skunk. (Re: WeatherCat Scripts 2012-04-26)
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 12:36:59 AM »
Howdy Steve and WeatherCat fans,

Whatever's up at home, don't concern yourself with us. I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping things are OK or as best as can be, and we're sending best wishes

Well the "little mishap" turned out not to be so little after all.  My sister who lives in the house was surprised 2 weeks ago by a skunk in the predawn darkness.  She was so startled that she tripped and fell on her back which was already hurting her.  Basically it has taken two weeks for the doctors to finally realize that she has a broken vertebrate that will never heal properly on its own.  So she is finally scheduled for an operation.  But that operation cannot happen until December.  Until then, she is really cripple and is on some heavy duty pain medications.

So indeed my time is really getting stomped on these days.  I'll do what I can, but life is plenty complicated these days.

Cheers, Edouard

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 10:44:46 AM »
Sorry to hear about your sister Edouard, sounds really painful! Hope everything works out OK.

Cheers,
Stu.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 02:19:33 PM »
Ouch! I can see why you've been otherwise occupied. I hope your sister has a full recovery without any complications.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2012, 05:01:16 PM »
Hi Edouard
 Sorry about your sister blew 2 in my lower back 3 years ago never had any thing hurt so bad wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemy hope she gets better family first
 [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Thanks gang for your support (Re: WeatherCat Scripts 2012-04-26)
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2012, 09:31:27 PM »
Dear Stu, Steve, Randall, and WeatherCat fans,

Thanks for your support!  [tup]

Afraid it is just one day at a time around here.  December sure seems like a long, long time to wait for a problem like this.  But, . . . what can ya' do?

Thanks again,

Edouard

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 12:00:28 AM »
A question for you, Stu,

As noted in the first post of this thread, I've taken Edouard's Twitter script, duplicated it into a Summary script and the preference file, revised any links so that it points to my new Summary script, and tested with just the basic scripts. But now that I go to enter the AppleScript tags for my daily summary information, I find that there isn't an AppleScript equivalent of the day's max/min temp or max wind gust. Nothing in WeatherCat's AppleScript library or working channels or the manual to indicate that something like this exists. I know I could add tags to Edouard's Tag Processor, but that only converts for web tags, not something I can use in AppleScript.

Am I missing somewhere that I can call out daily temp max/min and wind gusts?

Thanks,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 08:38:03 AM »
Hi Steve,
Correct, it isn't possible to run a query through the AppleScript interface at the moment. It is possible via the native SDK and there are plans to extend it to AppleScript in later releases.

Stu.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 03:36:08 PM »
Stu,

Thanks for that info. I'll wait until AppleScript can handle that and then modify Edouard's existing Twitter AppleScript.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA