Author Topic: WC running in the background  (Read 2201 times)

@p@t

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Maplin N96GY(WH1080) / MacMini Intel
WC running in the background
« on: March 15, 2014, 07:32:38 PM »
Hi!
I have an issue whereby I have installed Weathercat on my macbook air which is currently starting up during login on muy (administrator) account. However the macbook is also used by my wife who regularly logs-in with her account. What I have noticed is that the WC stops posting to WUngerground. If I logbac to my account and restart WC it all comes back to normal.

Any ideas?

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Don't think this can be done. (Re: WC running in the background)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 08:01:18 PM »
Dear @p@t and WeatherCat fans,

I have an issue whereby I have installed Weathercat on my macbook air which is currently starting up during login on muy (administrator) account. However the macbook is also used by my wife who regularly logs-in with her account. What I have noticed is that the WC stops posting to WUngerground. If I logbac to my account and restart WC it all comes back to normal.

I believe this issue has come up at least once before and unfortunately there is no solution.  Stuart Ball, the WeatherCat developer, would know the precise details, but roughly WeatherCat has not been designed with separate components such that the updates could happen while the graphs, gauges and so on have no console to display on.

You certainly might want to ask for this feature to be added.  You could do this here:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?board=4.0

However, it might not be the sort of thing that would be easy to do and I suspect there isn't much demand for it.  Most of us run WeatherCat on a machine that can run WeatherCat 24/7 in order to submit data continuously to many services like CWOP and generate custom weather websites.

For the moment, only Weather Underground can deal with historical data, so there is real incentive to run WeatherCat all the time.

Sorry, at least i don't know of anything that could help you.

Edouard

P.S. On second thought, if you are only uploading to Weather Underground and your weather station has a data logger so that no data is lost while your wife is using your computer, then you won't lose anything.  WeatherCat will upload the historical data as soon as it reactivates.  The only thing you might have to do - oddly enough - is quit WeatherCat before your wife goes to work.  I don't know if WeatherCat does historical uploads after being suspended.  On the other hand, it always does historical uploads after been started again.

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re: WC running in the background
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 12:49:18 PM »
Hi @p@t
if you log out or some one else logs in on your mac it is just like quitting WeatherCat.
Just make sure that in the Weathercat preferences  that you have at Online Wunderground PWS  Enable Historical Uploads ticked and you should be find as Edouard said when it starts back it will send the data to Wunderground

cheers
 [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: WC running in the background
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 08:38:55 AM »
One additional thing: If you use fast user switching rather than logging out and then logging back in, you don't have to restart WeatherCat each time.
Blick