Author Topic: Weather Cat version 2.4.4 MacOS Higher Sierra 10.13.3 bug  (Read 24818 times)

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
  • Station Details: iMac, Davis Vonage Pro
Re: Weather Cat version 2.4.4 MacOS Higher Sierra 10.13.3 bug
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2018, 11:20:04 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, the new Pro 2 will be her Wednesday.

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2018, 11:36:59 AM »
The old weather station is working fine after I ordered a new Pro2. I have a question about the Davis Data Logger. Davis call it the weather link data logger. I have used one for 10-15 years, can't remember how long I have had the Pro 2. It stores the data from the console when the computer is not connected or WC is not running and WC uploads the data to Weather Underground when it starts. I was wondering if you can you use a Pro 2 without the data logger. Thanks

Dave13

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW7890
    • KTNPARSO2
    • ParsonsWeather.com
  • Station Details: Davis VP2
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2018, 02:19:13 PM »
Yes you can use the Pro2 without a data logger, it is an optional add-on.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2018, 03:39:35 PM »
can you use a Pro 2 without the data logger
I'm not sure I understand your question about not using a data logger. Without the data logger, you will only see/use the wx info on a Davis Console, right? You can, of course, have as many Consoles as you can afford. ;) You can also use the Envoy, but I think it has the logger (RAM) built-in so you can connect to a computer (USB) and use software to analyze/display/upload the data to other places?

I'm probably just confused about this part of the equipment, also... [blush] [rolleyes2] Maybe I can learn something! [lol]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2018, 04:04:30 PM »
I was thinking if you plugged the usb cable in the port where the data logger goes, WC might read data the same as with the data logger except the stored data feature.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2018, 09:18:40 PM »
I don't remember the type of connection on the Console that the data logger plugs in to. I do remember seeing something about not removing the data logger while the Console is powered (with either batteries or the 'wall wart'), so, unless I can find where that is wrong, I'm not um=nplugging my logger. However, I see one mention of a "USB-to-Serial (DB-9) Cable (#8434)" in "Optional Accessories" in the Console User Manual (no publication date - got mine back in 2015). I suspect the DB-9 port is for an RS-232 serial output. That's a very old format used in electronic equipment for decades, well before even the Apple ][. I don't think Apple ever directly supported it, however, going instead for ADB, SCSI, FireWire, ThunderBolt, and probably some I've left out! Those early Apple cables may have simply been adaptors to use RS-232 signals while creating a 'unique' product for Apple. [rolleyes2] You can easily find BD-9 to USD cables.

However, I think you'd still need a driver in the Mac to interpret the signals. There seem to lots of RS-232 drivers around, also. But you still would not have the 'logger' portion, so you would have to settle for wx info only for when the computer is running. Plus, I think you'd also have to use the Serial version of WeatherLink from Davis (not even sure if they make a Mac version of that software). And this is all assuming that the cable and drivers did what the data logger does.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2018, 11:10:41 PM »
Dear N4KHQ, X-Air and WeatherCat system caregivers,

I was thinking if you plugged the usb cable in the port where the data logger goes, WC might read data the same as with the data logger except the stored data feature.

The Davis data logger looks like this:

If that is what you are referring to as the USB cable, then yes you can use your old data logger in your new Davis console.  I don't think there is any conflict.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Dave13

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW7890
    • KTNPARSO2
    • ParsonsWeather.com
  • Station Details: Davis VP2
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2018, 11:46:25 PM »

The port the data logger connects to in the console is not USB, it is a 20-pin port specifically for the data logger to interface with the console. You need a data logger to connect the console to a computer.

If that is what you are referring to as the USB cable, then yes you can use your old data logger in your new Davis console.  I don't think there is any conflict.

You may run into an issue with your old data logger and new console. Davis did make an internal change to the data logger sometime within the last 5 years. I found this out the hard way when the board in my console died back in 2016 after 9 years of service. I installed a new console board, connected the data logger, and when I powered it up a message appeared at the bottom of the console "Incompatible Data Logger". I contacted Davis and they swapped it out for a fee of $50.

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2018, 01:31:18 AM »
OK thanks, I ordered a new data logger to go with the new Pro2. The old one is still working perfect after the reset.

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2018, 12:18:42 PM »
Here is a followup on the Weather Underground (WU) PWS. After WU fixed the server issues, and replacing the wireless sending unit (Solar cover turned white and cloudy days it stopped working on around 3 am) and finally discovering the automatic download of updates was stopping WC from sending data to WU, I had a week of success. The next problem was dashes on the console the console for outside data. I stepped through the setup process and it worked about 24. Stepped through setup again and it worked to about 4 am.  I removed a battery, the console beeped when I replaced the battery or power supply, can't remember which. Stepped through the setup process, console retained my settings, does it have a internal battery? I ordered a new Pro2 and datalink which arrived yesterday. The Pro2 has performed perfect since I removed the battery for a few seconds. I assume all the console needed was a microprocessor reset. If that is the case, it will be a first is 10 plus years. Guess I will leave the new Pro2 in the box for backup.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2018, 01:45:06 PM »
I removed a battery, the console beeped when I replaced the battery or power supply, can't remember which. Stepped through the setup process, console retained my settings, does it have a internal battery?
"removed a battery" from where? The ISS has one battery. It supplies power if the large capacitor did not store enough energy during the previous day(s) from the solar cell charger. Davis claims that battery should last 9 months if the capacitor/solar cell system is working efficiently. Many have seen the battery last much longer. Most of us replace it at least once a year just to be safe... and avoid a trip in freezing rain/hurricane-force winds/etc. 8)

does it have a internal battery?
My Console has three C-cells. I tend to forget them but have received an alert that they needed replacement. That message had the word "Console" in it and I read it several days before I realized what it was talking about... and English is my native language! [banghead] [blush] [rolleyes2]

Coincidence?! Returned home a couple of hours ago to find two Admin messages:
    WeatherCat Vantage Driver: ***Station Power Alert***
Console voltage is low - actual value is 3.885 Volts. WeatherCat TimeStamp: 01:27:03 11-Apr-18
WeatherCat Vantage Driver: Station Power Advice. Console voltage is now good - actual value is 4.775 Volts. WeatherCat TimeStamp: 01:28:03 11-Apr-18[/list]Perhaps if I wait long enough the voltage would get even higher?! I'm not sure you could expect more than 4.5 volts from 3 C-cells... I just decided to change the Console and the ISS batteries. [rolleyes2]

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2018, 07:44:36 PM »
I removed one of the three batteries form the console. My first ISS battery lasted 9 years before I got a low ISS battery warning on the console and replaced the ISS battery. Never had a single problem on the first ISS battery. My 3 console batteries are 10+ years old and still working. I leave it plugged in to AC all the time but over the years we have had power outages.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Best not to leave batteries too long (Re: Weather Cat version 2.4.4 bug)
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2018, 10:13:47 PM »
Dear N4KHQ, X-Air, and WeatherCat station caregivers,

I removed one of the three batteries form the console. My first ISS battery lasted 9 years before I got a low ISS battery warning on the console and replaced the ISS battery. Never had a single problem on the first ISS battery. My 3 console batteries are 10+ years old and still working. I leave it plugged in to AC all the time but over the years we have had power outages.

The topic of how often to replace batteries has come up before and I don't think there was any consensus.  Still, leaving batteries for multiple years runs the risk of a battery leak which can destroy the contacts forcing you to replace the device (or motherboard if available.)

I replace all the batteries every year simply because I have it as part of my annual maintenance routine.  It seems too much of a hassle to create calendar events to replace batteries say every 5 years.  I'll be the first to admit: "waste not want not," but replacing a battery is a very small price to pay to protect an expensive piece of equipment which you want to have operating 24/7.

Hopefully at least some food for thought.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2018, 01:14:05 AM »
WC and Weather Underground PWS are going on two week without a restart and everything is work it should with one exception. My PWS does does not show on Weather Underground map when first loaded. My PWS appears after a couple of minutes when the page refreshes or if you force a refresh by changing a from Wind/Temp to Temp it my station appears.

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2018, 02:23:33 AM »
The old Pro2 lost connection to the ISS again about 3 am yesterday morning. Now I am pretty sure I did not need to replace the wireless sender. As noted by Edouard, I think the problem was the console and not the replaced wireless transmitter (Sensor Interface). I am surprised at how little changes have been made to the Pro2 in the last 10 years. I thought surely by now, Davis would have added a Sensor Interface switch to turn the transmitting off. I wanted to use the default channel 1 on the new unit. I climbed the 30 tower disconnect the solar charger and battery and just as I suspected the capacitor keep the old station transmitting on channel 1. I set the channel on the ISS and Console to 2 and it seems to be working fine.