Author Topic: NWS WILL STOP YELLING AT US!!!  (Read 2244 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
NWS WILL STOP YELLING AT US!!!
« on: April 12, 2016, 02:22:47 PM »
<...and Use Lower-Case Letters in Alerts>. "Except, Buchanan said, IN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS SITUATIONS, WHEN CAPITALIZATION WILL REIGN[sic?]." No mention os font colors, styles, weights or sizes...
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re: NWS WILL STOP YELLING AT US!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 09:56:26 PM »
no now I will have to wear my reading glasses all the time [biggrin]

cheers

[cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 11:37:18 PM »
"command" and "+" makes the text (and everything else, at least in the browser and many other apps) bigger... [tup]

BTW, you can also set your minimum font size in Safari (and probably other browsers) to something a bit larger. I've had mine at 16pts for ages and I never noticed any problems until I visited a few weather sites that uses a particular Template. There is a count down timer on that one and I could only see the units digit. Yet the instructions claimed it was a 30 second counter! A couple of "command" and "-" key strokes and I could see both digits... unfortunately, I then couldn't read much of the other stuff! [banghead] I did manage to finally find the hard-coded size for box and added a few pixels to it. [rolleyes2] That's one of the reasons I don't use that (or any other) "Template"; too many details that require way too much searching to make the pages less restrictive. And even then, the site will be a fixed size! Flexible web design has been around for decades now...  [banghead]

So happy that the NWS only took a century+ to discover that teletype machines are no longer the only way to communicate. [cheer] Makes one wonder if they are still using Netscape! [lol]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 01:45:47 AM »
My favourite line is, "The switch will happen on May 11, after the required 30-day notification period to give customers adequate time to prepare for the change."

What are people going to do to prepare for the change? Practice reading in a book? See if they can read a newspaper? Look at every other government agency website in the world? Make sure the CAPS LOCK key can be turned off? Worry about how to work with lower case letters? Pray? Eat a container of ice cream?

I believe WeatherCatters are smarter than the average weather enthusiast and, therefore, will wait right up until midnight on May 10 to prepare ourselves for the big change. If you feel differently DEAL WITH IT.  :)
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 04:27:04 AM »
What are people going to do to prepare ... CAPS LOCK ... turned off? ... how to work with lower case letters? Pray? Eat a container of ice cream?
I thick I'll take your last suggestion! Maybe one "container" per day?! [cheer]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 03:47:16 AM »
Perhaps my "SCREAMING" has brought results! Or the NWS has finally accepted the 'standards' of the 1980's. I've noticed that the few 'warnings/advisories' this new year are now using the shiny, new lowercase alphabet! For example:
...Light Snow Possible Across The Mid-South Thursday and Friday... Light snow accumulations are possible across the Mid-South Thursday through Friday evening. Snow totals are forecast to range from a light dusting up to 1 inch. Impacts are expected to be minor given the anticipated light accumulations.
What might happen next?! Bold text?!! Different fonts?!!! Maybe I should send them some copies of the atrocious results of multiple font choices created by the first Macintosh... Where is Robin Williams when we need her?!

Apparently, this forecaster is new to the area; the usual "impact" of even the mention of 'snow' is a run on the grocery store shelves!! The mere mention of the forbidden (by several local and state ordinances), four-letter word may mean a search for a replacement forecaster is in order...

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 01:14:01 AM »
Apparently the "screaming" continues for Advisories. It may be only Weather Statements that 'speak softly'.