Author Topic: Apple Updates the Recent Updates... without changing the version numbers  (Read 1825 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
The only way to see a difference between the macOS 14.6 Supplemental update earlier this month (Aug 2, 2019) and the "Emergency" macOS 14.6 Supplemental this week, is to look at the file size info. Apparently, Apple managed to re-introduce a security bug in the earlier Supplemental update. So, even if you installed a "Supplemental" update recently, you should re-visit Apple's site and download and install it again. The earlier "Supplemental" update weighed in at  954,791,166 bytes. The new "Supplemental" is significantly larger at 1,262,252,749 bytes.

Quote from: TidBITS, Aug 26, 2019
Apple actually released macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Supplemental Update a few weeks ago, saying at the time that it fixed ?an issue that may prevent certain Macs from waking from sleep properly??see ?macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Supplemental Update? (2 August 2019). Apple?s description now says that this updated version ?resolves an issue that may cause certain Mac notebooks to shut down during sleep.?

Software Update may or may not report your Mojave macOS 10.14.6 as "up to date". The only way to know for sure is to re-visit the Supplemental download page and run the installer.

Despite my reluctance to allow automatic detection and installation of OS updates, I have turned that function on for my Watch, iPhone and Apple TV. (My iPad is so old it hasn't been updatable since iOS 9 something! [blush] ). I am still n ot allowing that on my iMac! [rolleyes2]

Personally, I think it is less than courteous of Apple to create fixes and use exactly the same name for more than one of them. Apparently they are assuming that we simply allow automatic updates of critical software... despite the their own mistakes of providing "updates" that include old problems and security risks! Where is quality control?! Why was old, proven vulnerable code allowed to be near to published updates?! Where is versioning control/verification?!
"Who's on first?..."
[banghead]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
More info on MacInTouch. (Re: Apple Updates the Recent Updates)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 11:11:58 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat faithful,

The only way to see a difference between the macOS 14.6 Supplemental update earlier this month (Aug 2, 2019) and the "Emergency" macOS 14.6 Supplemental this week, is to look at the file size info.

Oh Joy! . . . .  [banghead]

Thanks for sharing.  There is more info on this situation on MacInTouch:

https://www.macintouch.com/community/index.php?threads/macos-10-14-mojave.1223/post-20587

Oh well, . . . . . Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
I went into Preferences | Software Update and it popped up as an available download.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Apple Updates the Recent Updates... without changing the version numbers
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 01:00:24 AM »
Apple has probably got their act together on this by now... that's why I said "may or may not"... and provided a way to skip the uncertainty. :)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system