Author Topic: Banner  (Read 2198 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Banner
« on: August 14, 2013, 06:46:44 PM »
Can someone please answer a couple of questions?
  • What value is returned in the banner generator for Precipitation Total? Is it MTD or YTD?
  • Any thoughts on which format to create the banner with: jpg, png or gif?
Thank you.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Two answers for you. (Re: Banner)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 08:22:22 PM »
Hello again Blick,

What value is returned in the banner generator for Precipitation Total? Is it MTD or YTD?

Actually it appears you can add either.  Just scroll down on the list of available values.

Any thoughts on which format to create the banner with: jpg, png or gif?

I don't believe it matters, but I could be wrong.  I always use JPEG because . . . . . that's what I've gotten used to and it works!  I cannot recall ever having a problem using JPEG.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Banner
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 10:20:41 PM »
Just scroll down on the list of available values.

Duh! I guess I was just too lazy to scroll all the way to the bottom. Thanks for scrolling down there for me, Edouard.

And if you don't mind asking, how did you append your jpg background to include those cool lines that separate the data on your banner?  [tup]
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Banner tutorial and Canvas Illustration program (Re: Banner)
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 09:12:14 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat fans,

Duh! I guess I was just too lazy to scroll all the way to the bottom.

Ah yes, good things come to those scroll!!  [bounce]

And if you don't mind asking, how did you append your jpg background to include those cool lines that separate the data on your banner?  [tup]

Well there is a tutorial I created that sort of explains what I did.  You can find it on the WeatherCat Wiki:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Photo_to_active_banner_tutorial

However, to more specifically answer your question, I used multi-purpose technical illustration program called Canvas:

http://www.acdsee.com/en/products/canvas-14

I have been using this program since the early 1990s and am very addicted to it.  It is very versatile and can do anything from Photoshop type image manipulation to reasonably sophisticated 2-d CAD.  I did all the illustrations for my Ph.D. using Canvas.  I created photo creating cards for a open-source project I put together for web e-cards.  Now I'm using it to design parts for my 1965 Buick Special wagon.

Alas, Canvas was discontinued for Mac many years ago and never made the leap from PowerPC to Intel.  As a result, my Mac is imprisoned at OS-10.6 so I can still use it.  A new Mac version is due to become available in the Spring of next year.  Sure hope I can limp along at Snow Leopard until then.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]