Author Topic: Available Backup Not Visible  (Read 2040 times)

geoffdickinson

• Calm
  • Station Details: Aercus WS3080
Available Backup Not Visible
« on: May 21, 2014, 12:09:06 AM »
Can anyone help me with this:

1. I have recently acquired a pre-used MacBook that my wife used at her school
2. I installed Weather Cat and used it for about 1 month.
3. To get rid of unwanted settings, programs and data and to get the OS properly updated I had to reformat and reinstall Mavericks.
4. I therefore made a backup of all my Weather Cat data and parked it in Dropbox.
5. I formatted the Mac and installed Mavericks and everything works fine.
6. I have reinstalled Weather Cat and that works fine as well.
7. I now want to restore the data from my backup but when I try to do this, the backup I made is not showing as available. I have tried moving the backup into the Weather Cat folder but nothing doing.
8. My station has only been operational since the start of this month so it is no big deal for me to start again but I would like to get the data into Weather Cat if possible.

Solution anyone?

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Two possible solutions. (Re: Available Backup Not Visible)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 09:21:16 PM »
Hi Geoff and WeatherCat fans,

Can anyone help me with this:
7. I now want to restore the data from my backup but when I try to do this, the backup I made is not showing as available. I have tried moving the backup into the Weather Cat folder but nothing doing.
8. My station has only been operational since the start of this month so it is no big deal for me to start again but I would like to get the data into Weather Cat if possible.

Well there are two things you could try.  WeatherCat backups should be found in the following folder:

~/Library/WeatherCatBackups

That's in UNIX convention and the ~ refers to your user home directory.  WeatherCat may not be able to restore any backup unless it is located in that folder.  You need to make your Library folder visible so that get access to it.  Instructions on how to do that can be found here:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2057221/how-to-view-the-library-folder-in-mavericks.html

If that doesn't work, there is a more laborious way.  WeatherCat doesn't modify the files it backs up at all, so you can simply quit WeatherCat, put the backup files where they belong, and then start up WeatherCat and it should start up as if nothing was missing.  Locating where all the files need to go will take a little detective work, but I think you can figure this out by referring to the instructions for moving a WeatherCat installation from one computer to another on the WeatherCat Wiki:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Moving_a_WeatherCat_installation_from_one_computer_to_another

Just check where you find files like WC_Maintenance_schedule1.txt and replace any files that you find with the equivalent file from the backup.

If you need more help, go ahead and post a more detailed question here.

Hope this enough to get you started anyway.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

geoffdickinson

• Calm
  • Station Details: Aercus WS3080
Re: Available Backup Not Visible
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 12:01:32 AM »
Brilliant. All data restored. Back to normal. Thanks for your help.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Glad you are back in business! (Re: Available Backup Not Visible)
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 09:53:48 PM »
Hi Geoff and WeatherCat fans,

Brilliant. All data restored. Back to normal. Thanks for your help.

Glad you were able to get your data back!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]