Author Topic: Battery Failure Message  (Read 2054 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Battery Failure Message
« on: April 15, 2014, 04:51:50 AM »
Yesterday I received a WeatherCat message that the battery in my ISS failed. The battery is the original and has been going for almost 7 years. I replaced the battery this afternoon. I did a voltage check on the new battery and it read 3.2 volts, which I think is within the acceptable range. Several hours later I received another message that the battery failed and there is a Low battery message on the console. Is there something else I need to try resetting? Are you supposed to power down the console when you change the ISS battery? I didn't so anything other than pop in the new battery.

Here is a copy of the latest message:

WeatherCat Vantage Driver: Station Power Alert. Transmitter battery failure.
ISS battery - Fail.
Transmitter 2 - Good.
Transmitter 3 - Good.
Transmitter 4 - Good.
Transmitter 5 - Good.
Transmitter 6 - Good.
Transmitter 7 - Good.
Transmitter 8 - Good.

Thanks.
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Battery Failure Message
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 05:40:19 PM »
I entered the setup mode on my console and then exited, which cleared the Low Battery message from the console. I have gone about 12 hours without receiving a new message so hopefully my battery is back in the good graces of Davis and the Cat. I would still like to hear from anyone who has further insight.
Blick

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 07:29:31 PM »
Hi Blicj11

I do believe that after changing the battery in the ISS, you may still get a low battery alert until midnight of the day of battery change, then the ISS and console will reset any alerts. 

I think an alternative method is to clear the battery alert by doing what you already did by entering the setup mode and clearing any data collected when the battery was changed by holding down clear on the console.

JC

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 07:50:49 PM »
I do believe that after changing the battery in the ISS, you may still get a low battery alert until midnight of the day of battery change, then the ISS and console will reset any alerts.

JC: thank you for the clarification. In fact, I did receive the last failed battery message at 21:04 on the day I changed the battery. And then, about 90 minutes later (and about 30 minutes after I posted my original message) I received the following email from WeatherCat:

WeatherCat Vantage Driver: ***Station Power Advice*** All transmitter batteries are good.

One does need to manually clear the warning message from the console but apparently the Cat runs a followup to make sure you changed the battery.

Moral of the Story: Don't panic and carry on.
Blick