Author Topic: Scenes of Spring 2017 captured by the WeatherCat community.  (Read 9554 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
A tale of two California poppies (Re: Scenes of Spring 2017)
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2017, 11:42:22 PM »
Dear WeatherCat watchers of the seasons turning,

I spotted an even more extreme example of California poppies growing out of a seemingly impossible location:

These flowers are literally growing through the stone wall behind them and are looking perfectly healthy.  In contrast here are some poppies dueling it out with wild grasses:

Given that poppies can't outgrow grass, they do best in places were grass cannot grow.  So a stone wall will due if they can run a shoot beyond the rocks.

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Scenes of Spring 2017 captured by the WeatherCat community.
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2017, 06:14:48 PM »
I awoke to 6 inches of fresh snow this morning and we had a hard freeze overnight so the green buds on the Aspen trees and other promising signs of Spring are buried under a blanket of white stuff and some ice.
[cold]
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Yesterday's cold front? (Re: Scenes of Spring 2017)
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2017, 11:36:52 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat observers of the seasons . . . . going yo-yo!

I awoke to 6 inches of fresh snow this morning and we had a hard freeze overnight so the green buds on the Aspen trees and other promising signs of Spring are buried under a blanket of white stuff and some ice.

It probably has something to do with the spell of cold weather we had these past few days.  There was a trough of low pressure and small storms traversing through it.  The last one came through yesterday and was mostly to the North and East of us.  As a result we didn't get any rain at all, but perhaps it provided your snow.

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Scenes of Spring 2017 captured by the WeatherCat community.
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2017, 05:35:17 PM »
We got another two inches of snow last night and the overnight low set an all-time record for the month of May: 11?F

Fortunately, I removed my snow tires last week and turned off the boiler for the summer season. It is currently 58?F inside the cabin. #goodplanning  :)

[freeze]
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
The best made plans . . . . . (Re: Scenes of Spring 2017)
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2017, 11:43:32 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat strategic planners, . . . .

We got another two inches of snow last night and the overnight low set an all-time record for the month of May: 11?F

Fortunately, I removed my snow tires last week and turned off the boiler for the summer season. It is currently 58?F inside the cabin. #goodplanning  :)

[freeze]

That reminds me of another Murphy-ism:

The best made plans of mice and men are . . . . . . . about equal!

We are headed into a heat wave for the weekend and normal to above normal temperatures after that.  So perhaps you are "enjoying"  [cold1] the last gasps of the cold spell we had in mid-May and perhaps the heat will reach you shortly.  [sun2]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]