Author Topic: Midwest WeatherCatters - ready for record breaking cold?  (Read 3776 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Midwest WeatherCatters - ready for record breaking cold?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 03:50:09 PM »
Thanks for the tip Weatheraardvark. I just shared it with my sister in Chicago, who can't get her inside temperature to rise about 53? this morning. She obviously needs more than a filter, but every degree will help.
Blick

jennajon

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW2882
    • KMEGLENB7
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus With FARS, Solar and UV sensors, MAC 27 in. Retina, WeatherCat vers. 3.05 build 27
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2019, 12:46:20 PM »
Although i live in Maine (and we never get as cold as Midwest), I thought I would share this photo my sister sent on 1/30 of the car temperature in Elgin, IL. She was on her way to work!

We did finally break 0F here this AM, low was -2.1F. However, Mainers take that as a sign to challenge the weather, I witnessed one at the local Wal-Mart the other day (10F) in shorts and short-sleeved shirt.
As we say here, "It's a Maine thing".

[freeze]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks for sharing. (Re: Midwest WeatherCatters - record breaking cold?)
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2019, 10:44:55 PM »
Dear Jenna and WeatherCat users to have to deal with extremes,

Although i live in Maine (and we never get as cold as Midwest), I thought I would share this photo my sister sent on 1/30 of the car temperature in Elgin, IL. She was on her way to work!

Thanks for sharing.  I'm also on a small classic Buick forum with a lot of members in the effected areas.  It obviously really effected their lives.  However at least one continued to work on his Buick restoration through the cold.  Even his heated garage got rather chilly!  [freeze]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2019, 04:48:49 PM »
Weatheraardvark:

After my sister in Chicago changed her furnace filters, the temperature inside her home raised from 53?F all the way to 68? (12?C to 20?). Thanks again for the tip - because of you I am her furnace hero.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2019, 09:46:46 PM »
We're having some remodeling done and I'm waiting until they finish before changing the filters. But just thinking about it them has changed the outside temps to 71.9! [lol]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Furnace filters affected by atmosphere (Was: Ready for record breaking cold?)
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2019, 10:58:58 PM »
Dear Weatheraardvark, Blick, X-Air, and WeatherCat home maintenance personnel,

:
After my sister in Chicago changed her furnace filters, the temperature inside her home raised from 53?F all the way to 68? (12?C to 20?). Thanks again for the tip - because of you I am her furnace hero.

It is important to keep an eye on your furnace filter and not simply assume they should be replaced after a fixed period.  We run some extra capable 3M filters to keep the contaminants down in the house.  During the worst of the wildfires last year, I had to replace the filters early because of the ash and other fire related particulates.  The Camp fire plugged a filter after only 2 weeks!

More modern furnaces are also more fussy about their filters.  Modern high-efficiency furnaces need more careful maintenance to maintain they energy efficiency.

We're having some remodeling done and I'm waiting until they finish before changing the filters. But just thinking about it them has changed the outside temps to 71.9! [lol]

[wink] . . . . Hmm, is that a case of mind over matter? . . . . .  lol(1)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]