Author Topic: RS232 to USB Driver?  (Read 6229 times)

SRS

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0056
    • KWASPOKA56
  • Station Details: OS WMR968 / WeatherCat
RS232 to USB Driver?
« on: February 15, 2018, 04:58:19 PM »
Hello,  I just received and am setting up my new Imac and need help.  I cant get it to recognize my weather station (OS WMR968) which uses a RS232 - USB.  I know I need to install some type of driver for the RS232 to USB and was wonder if anyone knew which one?   Thanks

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Depends on your Serial to USB dongle. (Re: RS232 to USB Driver?)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 12:28:02 AM »
Dear SRS and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Hello,  I just received and am setting up my new Imac and need help.  I cant get it to recognize my weather station (OS WMR968) which uses a RS232 - USB.  I know I need to install some type of driver for the RS232 to USB and was wonder if anyone knew which one?   Thanks

The software driver that you need will depend on the brand of RS232 to USB dongle you have.  These are usually 3rd party devices and you would need to see if the particular product you have is still being supported.  There is some information on these devices in the section titled "Serial To USB converters" in the WeatherCat manual at about page 21.  There is also a list of available drivers in Appendix 3 of the manual which occurs about page 206.  If none of these drivers work, you might want to consider purchasing a new dongle which includes macOS support.  These devices are now extremely inexpensive.  The best ones don't require any software driver at all.  That would spare you making another driver search sometime in the future.

Cheers, Edouard

SRS

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0056
    • KWASPOKA56
Re: RS232 to USB Driver?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 08:29:39 PM »
Edouard,  Thanks for the feed back and advise. 1) There is no name or brand on the RS232 cable I have, How do I find out if the cable is still supported? 2) any suggestions on a  new macOS supported cable?  Thanks again

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Amazon has one for $9 (Re: RS232 to USB Driver?)
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 11:49:33 PM »
Dear SRS and WeatherCat station caregivers,

Edouard,  Thanks for the feed back and advise. 1) There is no name or brand on the RS232 cable I have, How do I find out if the cable is still supported?

Unfortunately, without any markings, all you could try is downloading some drivers and see if they work.  It could be time-consuming and ultimately futile.

2) any suggestions on a  new macOS supported cable?  Thanks again

Honestly, I don't have any personal experience, so I can't really recommend.  However, on the USA Amazon website I found this item in about a minute:

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Converter-Prolific-Chipset-CB-DB9P/dp/B00IDSM6BW/

It does not require any software drivers and supports many Mac models.  At 9 dollars it isn't much more expensive than a cup of Starbucks coffee.  You might need to shop around and do some research to confirm that model you buy will work with your station.  For example make sure you have the correct connector on the RS232 end (male or female depending on your station.)  Still, with a few minutes of searching you should be able to find something that will allow you to reliably connect to your station once more.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

SRS

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0056
    • KWASPOKA56
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 12:07:55 AM »
Yes, I found the same one and have it in my check out box.  However, here is some more info. I just checked my old mac (2010) to see what driver I had installed PL2303 1.4.0 from Prolific (plugged weather station back into it and it worked).  Checked new mac (2017 H Sierra 10.13.3) I have the driver PL2303 1.6.1 installed, down loaded new weatherCat 2.4.4 and still can not get connection?? 

SRS

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0056
    • KWASPOKA56
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 12:15:20 AM »
Something new that just came up from weatherCat "WeatherCat has detected your hardware has changed. Please check any custom/current condition rules and custom graphs as it's possible the channels available on the new weather station are different to the channels on the old station." ???

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 03:21:48 PM »
With respect to recognising the USB-RS232 dongle:

I'm using a USB-RS232 dongle to connect my Mac Mini to my VP2. Not on High Sierra yet but some tips/suggestions nevertheless:

- Your Prolific 1.6.1 driver should support High Sierra (https://plugable.com/drivers/prolific/), so that is good a start.  :)  However, there seems to be a catch. Did you check the "How to fix extensions blocked by Gatekeeper" comment on this web page?
- On your new Mac, have you run the "Weathercat -> Tools -> Configue Station Comms"?
- If still no luck; are you seeing the adapter in the MacOS Preferences -> Network settings? Don't worry if it is showing 'unconfigured'. Main thing is it is there...

Hope this helps a bit towards a solution.

Jos

SRS

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0056
    • KWASPOKA56
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 04:08:21 PM »
Jos,  Thanks for the fed back.  Im pretty sure I fixed the extension block by going into and allowing the download not sure if thats the same place as Gatekeeper?  I have gone through "Weathercat -> Tools -> Configue Station Comms" and yes I believe Im seeing the adapter in the MacOS Preferences->USB.  Im not seeing anything listed as 'unconfigured'.  Not Sure, still no weather station found when I launch WeatherCat?

Hoping to get this thing up and running today I have some great weather showing up.  Snowing now:  high winds, rain, ice, thunder, and then more snow all expected for the next few days (GoodTimes).  I do have my weather station running on my old mac so I will be able to gather all the different weathers readings that are coming, I was just hoping to watch it on my new computer.  again thanks any other ideas would be great? 

SRS

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0056
    • KWASPOKA56
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 04:46:44 PM »
Something New discoverer.  On my old mac while going through WeatherCat "Weather Stations Communication Set-up " . Under the Comms Port: it gives me the option to select the "USB-Serial Controller" which I do not have that option on my new mac. What would that mean?     

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Hardware perhaps too old for driver? (Re: RS232 to USB Driver?)
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 10:30:04 PM »
Dear SR5, Jos, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Something New discoverer.  On my old mac while going through WeatherCat "Weather Stations Communication Set-up " . Under the Comms Port: it gives me the option to select the "USB-Serial Controller" which I do not have that option on my new mac. What would that mean?   

Unfortunately it means that something isn't working between the software driver and the actual hardware.  You could check this by trying to install the latest drivers on your older Mac and see if the problem also occurs there.  However, that would put collecting weather data at risk.  Unless somebody else comes up with a more clever idea, perhaps you should make the modest investment in a new adapter and resolve the matter once and for all.

Sorry, that's all I can think of.

Edouard

SRS

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0056
    • KWASPOKA56
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 04:04:58 AM »
Thanks for the feed back. I have ordered a new RS232 cord should be here in a couple days. Hoping that works. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pbeaudet

• Strong Breeze
    • WD6FGE
    • KCABURNE1
    • Burney Weather
  • Station Details: Dedicated Mac Mini 2014, 2.5GHz 8 GB DRAM 12.6.5, Davis Vantage Pro2, Solar, UV, Soil & Leaf, and the wireless Remote Anemometer / SHARX SCNC3905 Camera /Bloomsky 2 with Storm / PurpleAir Air Quality Sensor
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 09:45:41 PM »
I am using the Silicon Labs USB driver with my Mac Mini and WC.

https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers

Philip

SRS

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0056
    • KWASPOKA56
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 05:35:53 AM »
Phillip,  Thanks does it matter what type rs232 connector you need?(https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers).    I purchased a new sabrent USB to serial connector with a prolific chip so i down loaded the latest driver from prolific and Im still haveing NO luck.  When I start up weathercat it keeps coming up no weather station found??  Any other ideas??

SRS

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0056
    • KWASPOKA56
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 04:23:00 PM »
The USB connector is mac compatible, The latest driver for a prolific chip listed as For Mac OS High Sierra (version 10.13) has been install (I THINK?) and while down loading permission was granted under my security & privacy settings but it does NOT show up in the comms port available in WeatherCat?s Station Communications window? And it does NOT show up when I run a terminal program check: this is what comes up ls: tty.usbserial*: No such file or directory (Not really sure if I doing the check correctly) However, the USB connector does show up or is listed under my USB connections devises on my mac?  Still having no luck any other recommendation or suggestions would be great!

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 10:06:56 PM »
Try searching in the black Apple Menu: Option-click that menu and the first item changes from "About This Mac" to "System Information...". That brings up all the hardware/software info you ave installed. Close the "Hardware" and "Network" sections and click the "Extensions" item in the "Software" section. Look for "Prolific", "PL2303" or anything else that might be in the name. Hopefully you will see what is actually installed and its version, as well as the path to it. My Silabs driver is in /Library/Extensions/... Hope that helps.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system