Author Topic: Steel Gauges  (Read 222174 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Steel Gauges
« Reply #405 on: August 10, 2016, 03:56:56 PM »
I am looking at your js file as well. I'll let you know if I see anything.
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #406 on: August 10, 2016, 04:03:37 PM »
Don't know if this is it, but try this. On line 281 enter a space between the comma and the comment. Like this null), // Wind
Blick

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #407 on: August 10, 2016, 05:28:16 PM »
Thanks Blicj,
it was something other (line 265ff there are no underlines _ any more).
But now I get another error. Maybe Mark can help.

UPDATE:
I reworked all with a complete new gauges.js file from Github and now it works.  :-[
Thanks, Blicj!
No need to investigate, Mark!
Reinhard

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #408 on: August 10, 2016, 06:07:53 PM »
By the way,

I would like to add a feature request: WeatherCat provides the possibility to output user defined current conditions via it's built-in Current Conditions Calculator. It would be nice if someone could display this info on the Live Gauges Page (current conditions are current = live  :) ).
I am thinking about if this info could be placed additional to the scrolling weather forecast, maybe like: Current Conditions are xxxx - Current Forecast is xxxx
The tag for the realtimegaugesWC.txt is: "CurrentConditions":"CC$"

What do others think about this?
Reinhard

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
« Reply #409 on: August 10, 2016, 06:29:14 PM »
Dear Community,

forgive me my dumbness - shame on me. The feature I requested is easily to realize:
If anybody wants it in its steel series gauges just modify the realtimegaugesWC.txt file to
Code: [Select]
"forecast":"Current Conditions -- CC$ *** Current Forecast -- CF$ --",or something similar.

[rock]
Reinhard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #410 on: August 10, 2016, 07:13:24 PM »
Glad to see you have them up and running again, Reinhard. Upgrading versions is an exercise in very careful editing.

Here is a quote from the WeatherCat SteelSeries Wiki:

... you can use any WeatherCat tag in the ticker that makes sense to you. However, just because it makes sense to you does not necessarily mean that it's a good idea. After all, how many "good" ideas of yours has your wife shot down?

More good stuff about these gauges at ==> http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Steel_Series_Gauges
Blick

mcrossley

• Gale
  • Sorry, I'm not a WeatherCat user!
    • ICHESHIR25
    • Wilmslow Astro Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 + home brew
« Reply #411 on: August 10, 2016, 09:37:55 PM »
Glad you guys worked his out.
Yes, you only need to replace the gauges.js file from .11 to .15
And yes, put whatever you want in the ticker - so long as you have tags for it. Mine for instance has the date/time, sun hours, and min/max temps for the day.
http://weather.wilmslowastro.com/gauges-ss.php
Mark

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #412 on: August 10, 2016, 11:46:12 PM »
Thanks Mark. I have a question about the Cloud Base gauge. I know I read this somewhere but I can't find it. I think the gauge rounds off to the nearest hundred feet after it gets above a certain altitude, to prevent the needle from bouncing around too much. Can someone tell me where I read that or what the details are? 
Blick

mcrossley

• Gale
    • ICHESHIR25
    • Wilmslow Astro Weather
« Reply #413 on: August 11, 2016, 09:14:02 AM »
The cloudbase rounding is pretty arbitrary, but currently defined as...

Metres: <1 000 m round to 10 m, >1 000 m round to 50 m

Feet: < 2 000 ft round to 50 ft > 2000 ft round to 100 ft

I'll probably add an option to the next release to turn rounding off/on (default on)
Mark

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #414 on: August 11, 2016, 05:33:35 PM »
Hi Mark and Blick
 So what all is involved to upgrade from 2.5.4 to the latest version
I know it will involve a little more since I changes my gauge sizes and changes my background and so one

cheers
 [cheers1]

mcrossley

• Gale
    • ICHESHIR25
    • Wilmslow Astro Weather
« Reply #415 on: August 11, 2016, 06:05:02 PM »
All I can do really is go by the change log, though you could do a diff between the versions on GitHub I guess.

Changed files (that matter to WC users)...

gauges.js - of course!
language.js/language.min.js
steelseries.js/steelseries.min.js/steelseries_tween.min.js
Mark

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #416 on: August 11, 2016, 06:25:37 PM »
Randall:

Download 2.5.15 from Github. Make all of your same edits in whatever files you edited in 2.5.4, and replace all of your uploaded SteelSeries files on your site with the new ones. Hopefully you have kept a record of what changes you have made. Most of them will be in gauges.js, but you may have tweaked the following:
  • gauges.js
  • gauges-ss.css
  • gauges-ss-basic.htm
  • realtimegaugesWC.txt
The first three files are on your website and the last one is in your WeatherCat Set HTML Source folder.

The line numbers have changed since 2.5.4, but your edits will be in a line number that is very close to the original. I think my edits in gauges.js were about 3 or 4 line numbers off from the original.

The other thing I did that was helpful, I renamed the 2.5.4 SteelSeries directory on my website so that it was all still intact in case something went wrong with 2.5.15. I didn't delete the old one until I had the new up one and running.

Be extremely careful in your edits. Both Reinhard and I made a simple editing error and it is hard to track down a missing comma or an extra bracket. If you make the exact same edits in the new files, it will work fine.

Go for it.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #417 on: August 11, 2016, 06:32:49 PM »
First, I encourage only editing a copy of any file. That way. you can always revert to the original new or old file.

Second, many here use <TexyWrangler> (free) or it's big brother BBEdit because they have an outstanding file comparison function. Open two files, choose "Compare two front windows..." and they'll show two panes, side by side, plus a lower pane listing all the differences, down to the character level! You can then chose to change either file to match the other for each listed difference or simply to see what was changed. Highly recommend both apps!

Another benefit of using a dedicated editing tool is that they color code important words. If you make an edit and all the later colors change or go away, you can bet your bottom dollar you made a mistake! It's command-z to the rescue until you figure out what you need to do. [cheer]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #418 on: August 11, 2016, 06:34:35 PM »
The cloudbase rounding is pretty arbitrary, but currently defined as...

Metres: <1 000 m round to 10 m, >1 000 m round to 50 m

Feet: < 2 000 ft round to 50 ft > 2000 ft round to 100 ft

I'll probably add an option to the next release to turn rounding off/on (default on)

Thanks Mark, I had read that in the comments in the gauges.js file but for some reason it didn't register that those comments were what I was looking for. I like the planned option for rounding. Easier than commenting out parts of the code, especially when one doesn't know what one is doing. For us novices, it's kind of scary to edit things that are below this warning in the gauges.js file:

Code: [Select]
        // ==================================================================================================================
        // Nothing below this line needs to be modified for the gauges as supplied
        // - unless you really know what you are doing
        // - but remember, if you break it, it's up to you to fix it ;-)
        // ==================================================================================================================
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #419 on: August 11, 2016, 06:41:28 PM »
Good point Xair, I used the compare feature yesterday in the new release of TextWrangler. I like it better than BBEdit because it is free. I am a confirmed capitalist and "free" appeals to me on all sorts of levels.
Blick