Author Topic: "Winter's" last gasp?  (Read 1704 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
"Winter's" last gasp?
« on: March 09, 2017, 03:37:42 PM »
So far, we've but one 'hard freeze' the entire Fall/Winter. Not good for the six legged beasts, we'll pay for that later this year. Although we usually fire any weather man that allows snow to stay around more than 48 hours, at least one is trying to help extend what passes for Winter. At first I thought the following warning was a typo similar to what happened at Amazon last week, but I fear it will not be a good weekend for man nor (hopefully) beast!
...A developing storm tracking along the Gulf Coast this weekend will draw in freezing temperatures across the Midsouth counties Saturday and saturday night. Overrunning precipitation will likely start off as a cold rain in the morning...mixing in with sleet and possibly some snow along the MO/KY borders...
At least some NWS servers seem to be allowing lower case characters... at least with the "minimal threat" alerts. [lol] [snow]

EDITED: Saw the missing "t" in one "the". That key is becoming a bit flakey, just like me! [blush]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
Re: "Winter's" last gasp?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 04:27:26 PM »
We typically get around 30 inches of snow per season (not unusual to hit 40) and the three- and five-inch soil temps go below freezing (32?F) for at least a month.

This year we've had a grand total of 1.6 inch of snow split between two 'storms.' And the three-inch soil temp never got below 37?.

Result, I've got varieties of lawn weeds coming up I've never seen before. And I suspect the crawly lawn critters will be worse than ever.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: "Winter's" last gasp?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 05:49:53 PM »
On the other hand, we have had a record-breaking snowfall this winter, clocking in at just over 27 feet (8+ metres) of snowfall, which ended a rather serious drought in the Mountain West. We still have more than 5 ft (1.5 metres) on the ground this morning. We moved here from Texas to get out of the heat. It worked.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Back to a "normal" winter? (Re: "Winter's" last gasp?)
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 11:26:16 PM »
Dear X-Air. Felix, Blick, and WeatherCat climate watchers,

So far, we've but one 'hard freeze' the entire Fall/Winter.

. . . .

At first I thought he following warning was a typo similar to what happened at Amazon last week, but I fear it will not be a good weekend for man nor (hopefully) beast!

As Blick mentioned, the West has been unusually wet.  However, since last weekend we have been getting a much needed warm weather spell.  However, any hope of rain keeps getting pushed to the end of the forecast grid.  This does remind me of the usual drought - "storms few and far between" - waiting game.

Two weeks of dry weather will be welcome.  The rains can easily wait that long.  However, with La Ni?a supposedly gone.  We might return to our "regularly scheduled weather" . . . . .

Cheers, Edouard