General Category > Web-site/Forum news

(1/4) > >>

WCDev:
I've just enabled Karma on the forum - this means you can 'Applaud' or 'Smite' someone for a post (sorry, I didn't make these terms up, that's what the forum software calls them).

So, if someone answers a question for you or does you a favour, or you just want to thank someone for a post, you can now 'applaud' them.

I would suggest no 'smiting' unless it's truly warranted (i.e. as in 'is humorous') :)

We'll see how it goes - if it doesn't work out, I'll turn it off.

You can leave any feedback/thoughts in this thread.

Cheers   [tup]

elagache:
Dear Stu and WeatherCat visitors to the "brave new world" of social media.

--- Quote from: WCDev on February 17, 2016, 09:41:19 PM ---So, if someone answers a question for you or does you a favour, or you just want to thank someone for a post, you can now 'applaud' them.
--- End quote ---

Hmm, yes I'm familiar with this concept from other social media like NextDoor.  I know this does strike a cord in particularly young people who never have enough time to do anything, but perhaps we should give the matter some thought before clicking.  It doesn't take that much longer to type the words "thank you."  You might even contribute to the ongoing conversation by adding another insight.  I think this is definitely a case where you get back what you put into such systems.  If you didn't have to do more than click a link, don't expect more in return.

Edouard

Blicj11:

--- Quote from: WCDev on February 17, 2016, 09:41:19 PM ---I've just enabled Karma on the forum

--- End quote ---

I just applauded you; hope this results in many blessings poured out upon your head.

xairbusdriver:
Opinion (even though unasked for): [rolleyes2]
I don't "do" 'social media', but I have seen a few tech sites that have "thumbsup/down" buttons. At the tech site I help admin, we have never enabled that, even on the "community" (non-tech) forums. Never understood the need to 'smite'/'diss'/'mock'/'criticize'/'denigrate'/etc. a poster, even in a private message. After all, most forums have a "Report to Admin" link on every page.

As for a word of praise or thanks, I think they should be direct, public and personal from the thankor(sp?)! Certainly worth a minute setting up a automatic text insertion shortcut in Typinator or TextExpander...

I was once fired from my admin job, but later 're-hired'. [lol] Of course, these settings are totally up to the board owner. Perhaps he has been asked to moderate more than he thinks he should have to. I also assume that the board owner (Admin) has the capability to remove temporarily or permanently, any member who ignores the few simple rules of etiquette of this forum. [tup] Seeing a few 'smites' may be enough to correct the problem before that becomes necessary. ;D

I might be nice to have a couple of animated icons instead of the rather plain text buttons, however. Maybe a pair of clapping hands and one with a hammer banging something...  :P [cheer]

dfw_pilot:
Word on the street is that if I get three smites, I can then walk across a bed of hot coals and get them reset back to zero . . .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version