Author Topic: Weather Cat version 2.4.4 MacOS Higher Sierra 10.13.3 bug  (Read 24800 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Trick to discharge old transmitter. (Re: Weather Cat version 2.4.4)
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2018, 10:38:19 PM »
Dear N4KHQ and WeatherCat station caregivers,

The old Pro2 lost connection to the ISS again about 3 am yesterday morning. Now I am pretty sure I did not need to replace the wireless sender. As noted by Edouard, I think the problem was the console and not the replaced wireless transmitter (Sensor Interface).

Sorry to hear you are in this predicament.  I've been there and it is really hard to troubleshoot these systems because they are quite complex.

I am surprised at how little changes have been made to the Pro2 in the last 10 years. I thought surely by now, Davis would have added a Sensor Interface switch to turn the transmitting off.

Davis doesn't do that but there is a trick that is close to it.  If you turn on the #4 DIP switch that causes an LED to flash every time a signal is sent.  This does discharge the capacitor rapidly so this is recommended only for troubleshooting.  However, if you want to rapidly discharge the capacitor - that is a relatively easy way to do that.

I wanted to use the default channel 1 on the new unit. I climbed the 30 tower disconnect the solar charger and battery and just as I suspected the capacitor keep the old station transmitting on channel 1. I set the channel on the ISS and Console to 2 and it seems to be working fine.

If you are in a suburban or denser population center it is actually a good idea to avoid using transmitter ID #1.  If a newbie installs a Davis station near you there is a risk of interference since of course they won't fuss with the transmitter ID.  Picking anything other than #1 immediately buys you some piece of mind.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Weather Cat version 2.4.4 MacOS Higher Sierra 10.13.3 bug
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2018, 11:09:06 PM »
N4KHQ:

These problems are so frustrating. I replaced the wireless transmitter on my ISS three times a couple of years ago. It had the unfortunate experience of having mine fail and the first two replacements I bought were faulty. Of course it took months to figure out eventually that I was on the right track but I don't envy you trying to isolate the cause of your lost connections. You might consider moving your console, if that is an option. I had to move mine after it worked perfectly in the original location for several years. One day it just would not connect. Moving it to a different location solved the problem.
Blick

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
  • Station Details: iMac, Davis Vonage Pro
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2018, 01:02:49 AM »
My PWS stopped receiving data about 9 am today. When I returned home about 30 minutes ago, WC was in starting mode for sending data to weather underground. I had the starting mode problem a lot over a month ago but have not see the problem for over a month. All other functions of Weather Cat seemed fine. and it was getting the current temperature from the all new Pro 2. The only thing I did not replace was the usb cable from the console data logger to the computer. I restarted WC and it started uploading historical data to Weather Underground and was in Running mode on the online/Weather underground preference page. As you can see from the attached graph Weather Underground filled in the graph but with a lot of straight lines. Looks like some good data was uploaded about 5 to 6 pm.  When the Pro 2 was loosing connection with the ISS, the graphs never filled in. Is weather underground having problems again.?

Thanks

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2018, 04:58:07 PM »
As you can see from the attached graph Weather Underground filled in the graph but with a lot of straight lines. Looks like some good data was uploaded about 5 to 6 pm.  When the Pro 2 was loosing connection with the ISS, the graphs never filled in. Is weather underground having problems again.?

What is your data logger interval set to in WeatherCat | Tools | Station Hardware Options ?
Blick

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2018, 07:13:16 PM »
one minute any suggestions?

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2018, 09:45:45 PM »
I misunderstood the question, the Data Loggin Interval is 30 Minutes. 1 minute uploads to Weather underground. Any suggestions on either setting?

Thanks

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Best to match WeatherCat sampling interval (Re: Weather Cat version 2.4.4)
« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2018, 10:54:52 PM »
Dear N4KHQ, Blick, and WeatherCat Davis station caregivers,

I misunderstood the question, the Data Loggin Interval is 30 Minutes. 1 minute uploads to Weather underground. Any suggestions on either setting?

The Davis data logger is effectively a weather data backup when WeatherCat isn't running.  So if you want to keep your WeatherCat data uniform, the best choice is to set your data logger to the same value that you have WeatherCat's data sampling interval.  The sampling rate is set in the Misc2 pane of the preferences and is described on starting on page 169 in the WeatherCat 3 manual.  Setting the data logger is described on page 69.  We also have a WeatherCat Wiki entry that explains the trade-offs in setting the Davis data logger:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=Capacity_of_the_Davis_data-logger_to_store_weather_data_depending_on_the_chosen_sampling_interval

I have my sampling interval and data logger set to 5 minutes.  That means if WeatherCat or my computer are disabled, I can go for almost 9 days before I would lose any data.  With the speed of commerce, I would hope that's enough time to make whatever repairs or replacements are necessary.

Cheers, Edouard

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2018, 11:23:59 PM »
Thanks I understand

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2018, 12:59:46 AM »

That's why some of your lines appear flat. Your logger is only storing 2 data samples per hour. So if you have to upload history files to WeatherUnderground to recover from being disconnected you are only getting one data reading every 30 minutes from your logger.
Blick

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2018, 02:56:48 AM »
Seems like every 36 to 48 hours WC quits sending data to Weather Underground. Tonight I caught it after about 3 hours of not reporting to the my PWS. WC was not hung is starting mode as usual but the log showed Wunderground driver appears to have stopped. Any suggestions as to where to look. Restarting the iMac fixed the issue as usually. I probably should use the scheduled in Energy preferences to schedule a shut down at 12 midnight and a restart at 1 am.

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2018, 03:59:51 PM »
I set the iMac to shut down at 1 am and restart a 1:30 am. We will see if WC keeps sending data to WU PWS more than 3 days. If it continues to fail I think I will replace the WC preferences. Any tips on the best way to replace the preferences? Thanks

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2018, 07:59:45 PM »
Replacing prefs is really about re-naming them. Before you do that, however, it will save lots of time if you make a screen shot of every single preference panel that the app has. [computer] WC has over a dozen separate pages of prefs. And there are dozens of .plist files. The one you don't make a screen shot of is the one you'll forget how to set.  [lol] [rolleyes2] [blush] Secondly, make sure you know/find every .plist the app uses. The basic one(s) should be in your User/Library/Preferences directory. Be aware that WC also has a dozen or so in User/Library/WeatherCatData. Additionally, there may be a coupl in User/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatTemp. They usually have the name of the developer and/or the name of the app in what is basically a reverse url format: com.apple.Mail.plist, com.trixology.weathercat.plist, etc. but sometimes it is something like WeatherCatDaily.plist,

1. Shut down the app that uses the Pref(.plist). If you don't quit the app, it will probably just re-create the old plist info when you do quit it next.
2. Change the name of the .plist to something really creative... like adding "-OLD" to the end of the name. Probably best to add it at the end of the name and just before the ".plist" part. That will keep it in the same relative position in your files and make it easy to find once you determine if it was the problem.
3. Restart the app and start re-creating the prefs settings... If you have a fast drive, it won't hurt to make a complete restart of the OS, but that's not usually necessary.
4. Recreate all the prefs the way you want or had them.

Be very careful when entering the info. I found a problem recently where I had typed in the url for my camera as http://10.0.1.10/live/0/jpeg.jpeg when it should have been: http://10.0.1.10/live/0/jpeg.jpg See the one letter erer?! I blame it on Microsoft because they never had a really effective way for apps to know which files they should open because they limited suffixes to 3 letters. Apple used four, plus they used Creator and Type values... or at least they did until they caved in to the M$ hoards. [rolleyes2]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2018, 10:06:11 PM »
Thanks very much, i did not realize the complexity, Maybe the restarting will work.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2018, 11:55:22 PM »
You can probably just re-create the main plist (user/Library/Preferences/com.trixology.weathercat.plist). Most of the others are pretrty specific about what they do. But it is certainly worth creating a collection of the main Pref screens for future reference, life is uncertain, be prepared to re-enter pref data! [lol]

Since you seem to be mostly concerned with uploads to WU, you might just look at the "Modified" date/time of the user/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatTemp/WeatherCatLastWundergroundUpload.plist. It's not so much what's in it, but the modified date/time of that file might help indicate when it last uploaded info. That would then provide a time to look near in Console logs for a possible error report.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2018, 12:38:23 AM »
good ideal, thanks