Author Topic: Hello from near Orinda  (Read 6248 times)

zazzy

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2. Currently using an older iMac but I'll be replacing it. My main computer is a 17" MacBook Pro i7
Hello from near Orinda
« on: September 14, 2018, 04:52:42 AM »
Hello! And yes, we also live in the east bay somewhat close to Orinda. I recently installed a Davis Vantage Pro2. Sooner or later, I'll add a webcam. I've been using Apple computers since 1981 and Macs shortly after that.
I'm still using a 17" MacBook Pro running an i7 chip. Every now and then, I reboot it into Windows 7 and even though it's about 8 years old, it still runs smoother than a couple of a new windows laptops I have to use at work. LOL. WeatherCat is running on a iMac temporarily.

I haven't set up WeatherCat completely yet, since I just bought it this morning. Here's a link to the standard web setup. Not much data yet.

Here's a couple photos from a recent road trip to the Colorado area:

Zaz

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome from South Orinda! (Re: Hello from near Orinda)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 10:53:15 PM »
Dear zazzy and WeatherCat welcome wagon!

Hello! And yes, we also live in the east bay somewhat close to Orinda.

By all means!  Let me be the first to welcome you the WeatherCat forum!

I'm in Southern Orinda not too far from Miramonte High School.

I recently installed a Davis Vantage Pro2.

An excellent choice!  [tup]  Of course it was also - my choice!  [biggrin]

I've been using Apple computers since 1981 and Macs shortly after that.

You've got me beat on that one.  I bought my first Mac in 1988.

I haven't set up WeatherCat completely yet, since I just bought it this morning. Here's a link to the standard web setup. Not much data yet.

Interesting at the moment you are significantly warmer than I am.

Here's a couple photos from a recent road trip to the Colorado area:

I'm envious! . . . . I'm also trying to get into some sort of a travel trailer setup, but I'm going about it da' hard way!  You see my tow vehicle is our family heirloom 1965 Buick Special wagon:

In order to do this of course the car needed a mechanical restoration and repainting.  To make sure to have sufficient power to tow with I "super-sized" the engine:

Of course a 53 year old car should be towing a suitably "mature" vintage travel trailer as well.  This part of the project has yet to be undertaken.

Thanks for sharing and by all once more welcome to the WeatherCat forum!  :)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

zazzy

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2. Currently using an older iMac but I'll be replacing it. My main computer is a 17" MacBook Pro i7
Re: Hello from near Orinda
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 11:25:23 PM »
Thanks.

I read your post about the goat. Beautiful and fun! Did you put the engine on a dyno? I used to be a little more involved in the racing scene - not much anymore. But I still enjoy cars, boats, racing and wrenching.

Regarding trailers, have you looked at any of the Airstream Bambi's? They're beautiful, but expensive.

Although we have a house in unincorporated WC, we live out in Oakley, somewhat near the water. We get a delta breeze and the temps are much cooler than Brentwood and other areas in Oakley. Over the last few years, we've noticed that WC is always about 2 degrees warmer than here. Unlike the Lamorinda area, it stays warm at night during the summer. 

Thanks again for the welcome.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 01:43:18 PM »
Welcome zazzy! I think you will find this one of the friendliest forums on the World Wide Web! I'm a bit concerned about part of your post:
I haven't set up WeatherCat completely yet, since I just bought it this morning
I assume that means you've had the app for at least a couple of hours, so...
What's the problem!!
 :P [lol2]

"Please don't feed the animals!" Especially those that have '65 Buick wagons!!! [rolleyes2] [lol]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 07:29:34 PM »
Welcome to WeatherCat zazzy. 

I took a peak at your website. It's good to have that work right out of the box. Many of us have desired something more than the simple website, so there is lots of help available on the WeatherCat forums for using a template, and some of us have even built something custom from the ground up.

Whatever you decide to do with a site, we are glad to have another WeatherCatter in the Orinda area. Also, love that fifth wheel.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Peril's of expensive tastes . . . (Re: Hello from near Orinda)
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 10:31:40 PM »
Dear Zazzy, X-Air, Blick, and WeatherCat "characters", . . . .

"Please don't feed the animals!" Especially those that have '65 Buick wagons!!! [rolleyes2] [lol]

[wink] . . . . and what is wrong with that? . . . . .  [biggrin]

I read your post about the goat. Beautiful and fun! Did you put the engine on a dyno? I used to be a little more involved in the racing scene - not much anymore. But I still enjoy cars, boats, racing and wrenching.

Alas this engine has been rebuilt not once but three times!  I originally ordered the engine from a builder who was having serious financial problems and skimped on the parts.  He was the only one to put the engine on a dynamometer.  That particular version of the engine topped out at 509 horsepower and 530 foot?pounds of torque.  The two repairs have tamed the engine a bit, but it still should be in the neighborhood of 500 horsepower and about the same amount of torque.

We don't have boats anymore but my Dad was a very enthusiastic sailor.  Our last boat was a Hobie 16 catamaran.   

Regarding trailers, have you looked at any of the Airstream Bambi's? They're beautiful, but expensive.

*Sigh* . . . I have set my sights a bit higher still.  What I really would like is a 24 foot Airstream Tradewind of the mid-60s.  There is a restored one for sale on Airstream classified right now:

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/ads/1966-airstream-tradewind-24-california-3/

Lucky for me I cannot take on this phase of the project.  My wagon isn't quite ready to tow something that substantial and I'm really overwhelmed with too many other duties in my life these days.

Although we have a house in unincorporated WC, we live out in Oakley, somewhat near the water. We get a delta breeze and the temps are much cooler than Brentwood and other areas in Oakley. Over the last few years, we've noticed that WC is always about 2 degrees warmer than here. Unlike the Lamorinda area, it stays warm at night during the summer. 

That does sound much nicer than Walnut Creek these days.  I'm glad you are close enough to the water to get the delta breeze.  That must make all the difference as far as keeping comfortable!

Thanks again for sharing your story and welcome aboard!

zazzy

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 03:16:57 AM »
Thanks again for the kind words. I would have responded yesterday but we did a hike in Yosemite. That meant an early start, a long day, and a late arrival home. We were up at 0300, out the door a little after 0400, on the trail at 0830, back at the car by 1630 and home at 2215. But we stopped in Groveland for dinner.
It was a beautiful day and hike.

I was somewhat at a disadvantage on this day. My wife and Nancy mountain bike often. Nancy recently completed an 8 hour endurance mountain bike race and also did a lot of hiking in the states and Europe. My wife is a retired athlete, has her own fitness studio (fitness training has always been her profession) and works out daily. I'm simply aware of my limitations. LOL.

My wife and ahead of her, Nancy:

Close to the top:

On Clouds Rest looking towards Tanaya Lake: 

Dinner in Groveland (Iron Door Saloon):

A view from our table:

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 04:32:37 PM »
Great photos. Thanks for sharing. I used to bike quite a bit but appreciated your quote, "I'm simply aware of my limitations." Hahaha. Not as many calories burned looking at your weather gauges, but not as much road rash and repairing flat tyres with WeatherCat.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Biking not much fun where it is crowded. (Re: Hello from near Orinda)
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 10:36:35 PM »
Dear zazzy, Blick, and WeatherCat fans of the outdoors,

Thanks for sharing the neat photos!

I wish I could have the free time to get out into the wilderness as you were able to with your wife and friend.

Great photos. Thanks for sharing. I used to bike quite a bit but appreciated your quote, "I'm simply aware of my limitations."

I used to bicycle quite a bit myself.  When I was in Seattle I would ride around lake Washington.  It was a great mix of scenery.  Alas the San Francisco Bay Area is getting very crowded and the mix of bikers is getting dangerous.  When you have everything from newcomers in marginal health trying to bike for exercise to alpha-males looking to break a speed record - being in the bike lane wasn't safe.  Add the reckless drivers and the pursuit looked more like a way to get killed than improve your health.  So I too have shifted to milder forms of exercise and indeed that has increased my limitations!

Thanks again for sharing!  :)

Cheers, Edouard

zazzy

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 05:17:23 AM »
Years ago (and this is dating myself), I bought a decent road bike from Orinda Spoke and Pedal, and lifetime tuneups were included. It was the bike shop - everyone we knew supported them no matter where they lived. Prior to buying the bike, I'd just borrow one of my wife's because she had several road and mountain bikes. For a long period after I bought it, I was riding maybe 400+ miles a week. It was boring, slow transportation. LOL. The only part I'd enjoy was racing cars from stop signs or lights just to see how long I could hang with them, especially if it was a 25 MPH zone. I also tried mountain biking with the girls. It's slower. Ugh - b o r i n g. The downhill part is fun though, even when you wreck. But IMO, the downhill blasts aren't worth the mind-numbingly slow ascents.

Quote from: elagache
...The two repairs have tamed the engine a bit, but it still should be in the neighborhood of 500 horsepower and about the same amount of torque.
There is no substitute for HP.

Quote from: Blicj11
Welcome to WeatherCat zazzy. 

I took a peak at your website. It's good to have that work right out of the box. Many of us have desired something more than the simple website, so there is lots of help available on the WeatherCat forums for using a template, and some of us have even built something custom from the ground up.

Whatever you decide to do with a site, we are glad to have another WeatherCatter in the Orinda area. Also, love that fifth wheel.
I plan to do something custom, sooner or later. I'll probably start with one of the templates though. The fifth wheel is fun too. Fun for glamping and fun for the toys.

Quote from: xairbusdriver
Welcome ... that means you've had the app for at least a couple of hours
I haven't gotten the app yet. My guess is that it has to point at an IP address.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 04:19:33 PM »
But IMO, the downhill blasts aren't worth the mind-numbingly slow ascents.
Can't you ride the chair lift up?! Just try to avoid those towers on the way down! [headbang]

I haven't gotten the app yet. My guess is that it has to point at an IP address.
Now in my normal State of Confusion! [lol] The only app I'm talking about is WeatherCat. It appears you already have web space (spikeengineering), but perhaps that's not 'owned' by you and that page was simply a test? Beautiful dogs, BTW!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
*Sigh*, memories . . . . (Re: Hello from near Orinda)
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 10:27:16 PM »
Dear zazzy and WeatherCat seekers of exercise in the outdoors,

Years ago (and this is dating myself), I bought a decent road bike from Orinda Spoke and Pedal, and lifetime tuneups were included. It was the bike shop - everyone we knew supported them no matter where they lived. Prior to buying the bike, I'd just borrow one of my wife's because she had several road and mountain bikes. For a long period after I bought it, I was riding maybe 400+ miles a week. It was boring, slow transportation. LOL.

We seem to be a of a similar vintage!  I have been trying to bike for commuting as early as high school.  When I started my undergraduate degree at U.C. Berkeley, there was decent commute options.  However, they were soon canceled and I was forced to use BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit.)  Because of how the lines are set up, it would take an hour to cover the 10 miles by road.  Of course parking at Cal is insane so I once more decided to bike to classes.  This was a bit hairy when I was bring a laptop though!  One of the reasons my trusty wagon is still around is that she was almost never used for commuting.  That's what the bikes were for!

Quote from: elagache
...The two repairs have tamed the engine a bit, but it still should be in the neighborhood of 500 horsepower and about the same amount of torque.
There is no substitute for HP.

No disagreement.  Even as a "Mr. Meek" of a driver, she is really fun to drive!

zazzy

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 06:31:47 AM »
Quote from: xairbusdriver
Now in my normal State of Confusion! [lol] The only app I'm talking about is WeatherCat. It appears you already have web space (spikeengineering), but perhaps that's not 'owned' by you and that page was simply a test? Beautiful dogs, BTW!
I thought you meant the iPhone app. LOL. Spikeengineering is my website. So, any future development will be done there.

Thanks regarding the dogs. The photo on the homepage is of Mysti and Devo (CH Westwood's Mystique Mont Cherie and Westwood's True Devotion). Both are no longer with us.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 05:13:08 PM »
"Both are no longer with us." Hope their joyful memories are always with you.