Author Topic: Davis VP2 Questions..  (Read 10089 times)

N8NOE

• Strong Breeze
    • N8NOE-WX
    • KMIWATER7
    • N8NOE's Home Page (WX Link of Front )
  • Station Details: OSX Mountain Lion Server, WMR968
Davis VP2 Questions..
« on: September 02, 2012, 11:59:26 AM »
Hey all, Looking at replacing my WMR-968 with the Davis..
Here are a couple of Questions....
I will need an Inside Sensor for inside my Humidor, along with what (or) where it gets it's information from?
Are there ANY HAMS, using this Davis VP2?......
The reason I'm asking is the WMR-968 is Sensitive to Transmission around 20m Band, and running 2kw makes the Anemometer show about 200mph Winds, or just kills it all  together.

SO, if I get a Davis VP2, what all will I need to Add? Part Numbers and sensors VERY helpful here..
It will have to be the Wireless version also.. But seems there are variation in models and not getting a LOT of information on differences on there site.
I'd even look at a Used one if someone is UPGRADING theirs here.. Another Thought, the original Vantage Pro?..
Jeff-N8NOE

N8NOE

• Strong Breeze
    • N8NOE-WX
    • KMIWATER7
Re: Davis VP2 Questions..
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 12:07:11 PM »
Another Question?.
How does the VP2 Connect to a MAC?..
Never seen the back-side of the Console?......

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Quickie replies . . . (Re: Davis VP2 Questions..)
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 01:01:46 AM »
Hi Jeff,

The weekend yard chores really got me today so this will be quick.

• To get a data from your Humidor, you'll probably need to go with an external temperature/humidity sensor.  The only obvious way I think about doing this is to use the Davis Wireless Temperature/Humidity probe.  You will then need to dismantle the solar radiation shield and remove the probe from that.  That's what you would have put inside the Humidor.  Then you'll need to get probe cable outside to the transmitter.  I'm using the same setup but simply to get my temperature data from under a deck instead of where my rain gauge is located that gets full sun.
  • I wouldn't expect you to have any radio interference problems with Davis hardware.  They have a wireless transmission protocol that seems really bullet-proof.
  • To connect your Mac to your Davis Station you need to buy WeatherLink? for Mac OS X, for Vantage Stations That sounds like you are only buying software, but actually it includes a USB to station interface and data logger.  The software is next to useless (but not quite - don't throw away the disk,) but there is no other way to get the datalogger so that you can connect it to your Mac.

Sorry, really fast replies but hopefully enough to get you going.  Perhaps someone else with less yardwork can add more info soon.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

N8NOE

• Strong Breeze
    • N8NOE-WX
    • KMIWATER7
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 04:25:04 PM »
Edouard;
First off let me SAY so many Thanks for the information on this, being New to any Davis stuff it's not easy..
Short answers are sometimes the best anyway.
But good luck with the Yard work, it's labor day here so I have it off and a lot going on also, but will look into all this and determine Cost and if it's the way for me to go?
The WMR I have had some time and never any issues with it, but had always noticed Humidity readings were so far off, to be useless..
THANKS again..
Jeff-N8NOE

Doc

• Strong Breeze
  • Fly by night Eccentric
    • N9CXI
    • kinnindia
    • N9CXI Eastwood Indianapolis Indiana WX station
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, Mac mini, 2gig Ram 25tb storage, 1 weather web cams.
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 06:24:49 PM »
Jeff, I use a Davis VP2 wireless at my station, the ISS is attached to a fencepost in my backyard, my HF vertical is loaced on the next fencepost on the same chain-link fence along with an end-fed longwire antenna.  I work all bands from 160m to 70cm and all of my antennas are located around the Davis VP2 ISS.  To date I've never had any issues with the Davis while I've been on the air.  So carry on with the new install.  I think Edouard got the rest of your answers for you. 

You can buy some Davis equipment used on e-bay and some of the dealers have used equipment as well.  The only problems you might run into is worn out sensors.  Most of the old equipment that I've rebuilt of late have had sensor issues, some too severe to repair.  Davis does offer a rebuild/refurbish program, depending on the sensor there's a cost to it, but it might be worth it for a used station to be rebuilt if it was cheap enough.  If you plead with them enough they may sell you the parts to do the fixes yourself too.

Good luck
Doc, N9CXI
N9CXI.NET
Take care and have fun!  Slainte Mah!

N8NOE

• Strong Breeze
    • N8NOE-WX
    • KMIWATER7
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 12:03:18 PM »
Thanks Doc!..  Still looking at the Davis and thinking of my WMR968?..
Good to know NO RF issues though.. I run (at times 2.5Kw) and in a tight area.
Cant move a lot so kinda stuck here.
May look into a Factory Rebuild/Refurb if they have one to save some Cash.
I'd need an External Sensor to take apart to install in the Humidor also..
Might just be worth the Effort..
THANKS!..
Jeff-N8NOE

Gman19

• Gentle Breeze
    • KD4TJG
    • KNCKERNE9
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2+, WeatherLinkIP, WeatherCat running on iMac Pro (2017),3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W,64 GB RAM
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 03:01:48 PM »
I just sets up a VP2+, wireless station and have it connected to my iMac via WeatherlinkIP.  After a small bit of tweaking, it seems to be working flawlessly now, even whilst the iMac enters/exits sleep mode.

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 08:00:45 PM »
I am seriously thinking about an upgrade from VW (LaCrosse) to Mercedes Benz (VP2 plus wireless), connecting to my MacBook & WeatherCat via WeatherLinkIP. All I read about WeatherLinkIP in the Home pages of Davis is that it is recommended to be connected with a Modem/Router. Simple question: Is it possible to connect this device directly to my MacBook? Ethernet-Port is available there.
Thanks in advance,
Reinhard
Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Possible, but still "IP" stuff . . . . (Re: Davis VP2 Questions..)
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 11:15:54 PM »
Hi Reinhard and WeatherCat fans,

I am seriously thinking about an upgrade from VW (LaCrosse) to Mercedes Benz (VP2 plus wireless), connecting to my MacBook & WeatherCat via WeatherLinkIP. All I read about WeatherLinkIP in the Home pages of Davis is that it is recommended to be connected with a Modem/Router. Simple question: Is it possible to connect this device directly to my MacBook? Ethernet-Port is available there.

I think the answer is yes, although Stu and others might know better.  To physically connect the WeatherLinkIP, you'll need to use something called a "crossover" cable instead of a standard Ethernet cable.  I believe it simply reverses the order of the connections in the same way a hub or bridge would.

That would allow your MacBook to "see" the WeatherLinkIP, but there will still be a problem because this is an Internet device and it needs an IP address.  What I recall is that there is a default IP address that you can use to reach the device initially and then you can arbitrarily assign it another address using your web browser.  The only thing is that you would need to make sure that address doesn't exist in your home network.  If you have a Home WiFi router, they usually assign addresses using DHCP within a range something like: 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.255  You need to assign your WeatherLinkIP something that can never been assigned to by your WiFi router.  Since everything in the 192.168.x.x range is private and cannot appear on the Internet, you could pick something like: 192.168.2.1 and that would be enough to keep it unique.

Sorry if this is a bit confusing.  I haven't fussed with stuff like this in ages.  By all means if someone can explain this more clearly - jump in!!

P.S.  ;) By the way Reinhard, you've got your upgrading analogies all wrong.   Upgrading from a LeCrosse to a Davis isn't like upgrading from a VW to Mercedes . . . . . it is like upgrading from a Chevy to a . . . Buick!!

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 07:24:57 AM »
Thanks, Edouard, for your remarks. Anybody else out here who can confirm that a direct connection can be established between WeatherLinkIP and Computer?

Thanx, Reinhard
Reinhard

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 05:03:49 PM »
I haven't tried it myself but you can probably get away with a normal cable - the ports these days will switch as needed (auto MDIX) so you shouldn't need a crossover cable.

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 07:56:16 PM »
Reinhard,

Stu is correct, the Link should come up but note you'll manually have to configure IP addresses, netmask and such - as Edouard was saying - to make WC communicate with WeatherlinkIP.

And how will you upload data to the Internet if the only Ethernet port is in-use?  ???
You MacBook will normally not function as a router, passing traffic from Ethernet to Wi-Fi or something like that (although there may be special SW around to allow for that - they come up with crazy things these days).

Anyway, much simpler to buy a small (and cheap) 4-port router.

Jos

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
I feel so *old* . . . . . (Re: Davis VP2 Questions..)
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 08:23:17 PM »
Howdy Stu, JosBaz, Reinhard, and WeatherCat fans,

I haven't tried it myself but you can probably get away with a normal cable - the ports these days will switch as needed (auto MDIX) so you shouldn't need a crossover cable.

;) What are ya' trying to do Stu . . . . make me feel old?   [lol2]

And how will you upload data to the Internet if the only Ethernet port is in-use?  ???

I was assuming that Reinhard was going to use WeatherCat for all Internet uploading as he does now.  Therefore, he would not be using any of the direct access to the Internet stuff that WeatherLinkIP can do.  It may seem a little odd, but there is one reason to go this route: no more USB driver voodoo.

Is that correct Reinhard?  If so, perhaps you should still consider going with with the regular USB interface and save some money.  While Davis clearly cannot manage to keep up with Apple, Silicon Labs seems to updating the drivers promptly.  So far, everyone who has been using the USB interface to the data-logger has been able to upgrade to the latest versions of OS-X without having to wait long for updated drivers.

However, I've thought about jumping to the WeatherLinkIP just to escape this driver dependency concern.  So I can certainly respect making an extra investment to avoid problems down the road.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: I feel so *old* . . . . . (Re: Davis VP2 Questions..)
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 05:07:50 PM »
Howdy Stu, JosBaz, Reinhard, and WeatherCat fans,

;) What are ya' trying to do Stu . . . . make me feel old?   [lol2]

[biggrin]

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
Re: I feel so *old* . . . . . (Re: Davis VP2 Questions..)
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 12:16:02 PM »
I was assuming that Reinhard was going to use WeatherCat for all Internet uploading as he does now.  Therefore, he would not be using any of the direct access to the Internet stuff that WeatherLinkIP can do.  It may seem a little odd, but there is one reason to go this route: no more USB driver voodoo.

Hi Edouard,
Understood and agree that for WLIP there is no problem. However, I thought there could not be two simultaneously active network connections on the MacBook running WC: one being the Ethernet cable to WLinkIP, another one to the Internet for uploading (using WiFi).
But it seems I was wrong and there is a fairly easy way to do this: http://www.macinstruct.com/node/118
In this example it's the other way around - access Internet through cabled connection - but the principle is clear.
Jos