Author Topic: Photos of Spring 2016 taken by the WeatherCat community.  (Read 9317 times)

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Photos of Spring 2016 taken by the WeatherCat community.
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2016, 04:52:26 PM »
Love your weed-free ground cover too. I assume it for holding in moisture. Does it work well?

That's a photo from the attached link, so that's not our garden. But yes, we have used straw as a weed barrier and to retain moisture, and it does work well for the latter. But for weed prevention, it depends on the straw. Some contains weed seed, so you end up with more weeds than had you not used any ground cover at all. In the weather station photo, you'll see that some of our verge garden has pea gravel as a ground cover between the raised garden boxes. This works pretty well, but we need to spray occasionally to keep weeds and volunteer plants at bay. The newer boxes just have grass between, which is wide enough to get with the mower, and the occasional string trimmer use.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Photos of Spring 2016 taken by the WeatherCat community.
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2016, 05:06:06 PM »
My Dad taught us all a great deal about gardening when we were little boys way back in the last century. Where I live now is in mountainous terrain and we only have access to enough water for indoor use only. Deer, porcupines and moose eat everything that grows outside except daffodils and blue spruce, but our "yard" consists of wildflowers and trees. This time of year it is extremely green and beautiful. But I remember the joy of gardening that produces fruits and vegetables. Thanks for sharing.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks for explaining . . (Re: WOW! How do you lke the D750!)
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2016, 10:52:17 PM »
Dear Steve and WeatherCat shutterbugs,

Sorry here is my belated reply.

The D200 compared to the D750 is like comparing a Mac Quadra to your current Mac. *Everything* is better!

Wow!  I can see you are extremely pleased!

On my D200, I used the Nikkor 18-200mm f/4-5.6 the vast majority of the time. It was one of the better midrange lenses offered at the time. With the crop frame sensor, the image coverage was the equivalent to 27-300 (1.5X crop correction.) With the D750's improved quality, it would show the shortcomings in the full-frame 24-300mm lens, so I opted for the much better quality 24-120mm fixed aperture f/4 lens. Again, this will fill a vast majority of my needs.

Our experiences seem to mesh on this lens range.  Indeed it makes sense to get the best possible quality lens you can get for this range - it will get the vast majority of use.

On the D200, I'd switch to my 300mm f/4 (450mm crop equivalent) if I needed longer reach for critters or something I couldn't get physically closer to. That's what the 150-600mm will be used for, too, in spades. In Florida, I took a photo of an alligator's mouth, not just the alligator. On our western trip, I could have zoomed way in on the grizzly we saw, or the bison and elk. Just a lot more options.

Okay, I see your point.  For vacations a longer telephoto has a place.

On the long end, there were always scenic views I couldn't get in one frame, and couldn't back away further, especially out west. We were at Crater lake, and I don't have a single photo of the entire lake. Just several with 1/2 or 2/3 of the lake. Having a 9mm wider lens will make those possible.

I've never been a big fan of wide vistas but perhaps that was simply because I never had the tools for the job.  Okay I see your point.

Interior shots, too, such as churches, museums, and such. Anyplace where I can't get everything in frame that I want. Some of this could be done with multiple photos and stitching, but I'd rather do it in one shot.

Actually this is what I was expecting from you initially.  I don't take a lot of photos like this, but I'm still not traveling much either.  So this too may change!

Thanks for sharing your insights!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]