Author Topic: Web cams in use  (Read 20366 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Web cams in use
« on: May 06, 2015, 08:23:49 PM »
The listed cameras are simply ones I found in a search of the forums. There could be more, but these are all from ~2013 and later. There are a couple of threads asking for recommendations and you are encouraged to post there, also.

It would be great if you would post about how you have the camera connected to your weather site; USB/Ethernet/WiFi/uploaded to a hosting service/any combination. Details such as resolution, Infrared capabilities, access to image controls like contrast, saturation, etc., and would you recommend the camera?

Thanks!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
9000 works but is crummy. (Re: Web cams in use)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 10:38:32 PM »
Dear xairbusdriver and WeatherCat TV broadcasters,

It would be great if you would post about how you have the camera connected to your weather site; USB/Ethernet/WiFi/uploaded to a hosting service/any combination. Details such as resolution, Infrared capabilities, access to image controls like contrast, saturation, etc., and would you recommend the camera?

I bought the Logictech 9000 years ago and honestly it is about the weakest solution out there.  It's one advantage is that it is easy to set up and interface to WeatherCat.  However, I think any USB webcam will do that.  The downsides are poor image quality and the fact that the optics are actually near-sighted.

I'll be watching this thread because I'll have to replace my webcam someday!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. I also have problems with the Logictech getting "lost."  I have to unplug and plug it back in to the USB hub to get it recognized again.  Although this could be a hub rather than a camera issue.  Yet, another thing, I need to straighten out someday . . . .

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Web cams in use
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 11:08:27 PM »
Sorry to hear about that problem. I recall reading about fixing a "near-sighted" camera... I don't think we can expect too much in resolution at the <$100 price range, but it shouldn't be so bad that we have to resort to an optometrist! :D

USB hub
Is that a buss or self-powered hub? Many of the wireless cams I've looked at have a power supply rated at .5 amps, just to power the camera. If the camera is just connected via USB it may have a pretty high draw and gets dumped ("lost") by the OS. [banghead]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 11:36:36 PM »
You're poll is too limiting. I need to check three of the boxes. :) I picked Sharx

I have a Logitech 9000 USB camera with diopter correction, two Sharx 3905, and an Olympus SP-500UZ still camera running SebecTec Webcam software on Windows XP under Parallels.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 11:56:33 PM »
You're poll is too limiting.
Aren't they always!? :P

Seriously, I see no way to allow selecting more than one choice without introducing double(triple)-dipping. This is a limit of the forum s/w, I think. It might be possible for an Admin with super-powers to 'adjust' the numbers (like we can in WC). Hopefully, others will make use of the posting option to add the data like you did. It would be even better if members would include which, of multiple cameras, they thought were best/worst, and why. After all, poll answers are often too limiting in their answers! [lol2]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 05:38:04 AM »
I created a poll once and everyone responded by posting and not clicking on the poll so I assume this is the way WeatherCatters do it.

I am using a Sharx internal camera, which was not an option in the poll. I have the SCNC2900.
Blick

awilltx

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 11:51:48 AM »
I'm using the Sharx SCNC2900 internal WiFi as well and absolutely love it. Yes, it is pricey but I have found you (usually) get what you pay for. I do not have a public live stream, but post the WeatherCat hourly movies on my site, along with a static picture link.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 07:54:03 PM »
everyone responded by posting
Some people may never see the poll, depending on how the forum s/w works. Coming to this thread via the "new" button in a thread list probably takes you to the first post you haven't seen in that thread. The first time you should see the poll, but if you don't vote and come back later, you may not even remember to scroll back up to the top.

Forum s/w is notoriously non-standard, so what worked in one may not in another. Some may just decide to post something minimal and be done with it. 'Course, clicking a radio button is about as 'minimal' as it gets... [rolleyes2]

Sorry you missed the radio button for "Sharx" Blick, it's just to the left of "Others". :P But there actually is one with "Sharx", it just doesn't have any model numbers, I just copied that from the thread I saw it in. There seem to be close to 3,825 different models of "web cams" out there. I figured I'd get banned from the site if I made the list too close to that number/ [computer] [coffee]

So, looks like the 'sharks' are circling the pool... I mean poll?! [blush]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 08:23:47 PM »
OK, in a valiant attempt to please everyone, I have changed the poll LABELS. You are now voting only on a BRAND. Please continue to post about the model that you use.

Thanks for you participation!

Note: British voters can wait till next week, since they may be tired of all the choices they had on 5/7/2015! ;)

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 08:35:56 PM »
I'm using an Axis M1004-W Network camera. Small size, HD with Wifi, and manually adjustable focus. Very happy with it.

Jos

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 10:11:25 PM »
Sorry you missed the radio button for "Sharx" Blick, it's just to the left of "Others".

I didn't miss it, it just didn't fit my situation. Before you modified the poll, when I first saw it, it was labeled External and mine is internal so I didn't click on it. Now that you have widened the scope out I have now clicked on the button.
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 10:15:21 PM »
Note: British voters can wait till next week, since they may be tired of all the choices they had on 5/7/2015! ;)

Just to clarify. British voters had those choices on 7/5/2015 as 5/7/2015 won't roll around until July.  :)
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 12:20:03 AM »
I have a Logitech 9000 USB camera with diopter correction
I think I've seen something about this in another thread. Is this the "near-sighted" condition some have referred to? I'm wondering if it was an intentional design. Using these cams for 'back yard' weather shots may not be what some models were designed for. After all most are for mounting on ones monitor or literal desktop to be used for "video chats". That means they would usually be well within 36" of the "subject". I'm just guessing, here, of course. [removed link to the now castly photobucket.com site] Having the background out of focus could be a blessing! Of course, for some of us, having all of our image out of focus might be best!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 05:42:28 PM by xairbusdriver »

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 03:16:29 AM »
I think it's got something to do with the autofocus only working on Wintel machines. I bought one, way back when. When I found that out, it went into the dust bin.

[rolleyes2]
Herb

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 02:07:31 PM »
Quote from: Bull
...it went into the dust bin
...I don't suppose it's still in there... I love to take things apart that are already broken/replaced! ;)