Author Topic: Da' dreaded ISS battery "eatin'" syndrome . . . .  (Read 27761 times)

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
Re: Da' dreaded ISS battery "eatin'" syndrome . . . .
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 07:03:44 PM »
Here ya go, Blick.

[interesting]
Product Data Sheet - Duracell Ultra DL123A.

Found on this page.

? what is the acceptable range of voltage? ?

I take it that you mean "what is the lowest acceptable end of the range of voltage?"

From the data sheet, 3.2 to 3.3v is new battery voltage. The acceptable range of voltage to the device using the battery is from that voltage at the outset to the cutoff voltage designed into the device. My measurements (if memory serves me correctly) of the voltages of removed batteries, after the device no longer functioned, were somewhere close to 2v, give or take. It will differ slightly between devices.

In the graph below you'll see that in a continuous discharge use, the voltage drop off is rather quick after full discharge, but a battery with 3v can still have considerable life in it if the discharge rate is low, which should be the case for the ISS.

Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Ought to be something broken (Re: ISS battery "eatin'" syndrome . . . . )
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 09:32:45 PM »
Hi Doc, Blick, Herb, and WeatherCat Davis station caregivers,

Edouard, well, I hope the new board does the job.  But if I may offer another possible solution??..

Thanks for the thoughts, but it really seems unlikely that the problem is the batteries.  This station just had its 5th anniversary and I've never had problems like this before.  Since this station is located in mild northern California, the 123 battery isn't even close to its operating limits.   The lowest recorded temperature since the station has been up is 30.4˚ F.

The replacement ISS circuit board and enclosure are supposedly on the mail truck as I type.  As soon as it comes in I'll make the swap.  However, I won't be sure that things are really cured for another 5 days.  The sensor errors have always happened about 5 days after a fresh 123 battery was installed.  I just hope that indeed I've been jinxed by a factory board with another bad super capacitor and this new board will finally break the jinx!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. Thanks Herb for getting the battery specs.  It is more than I probably would ever care to know, but it is interesting to see how these batteries perform.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Fingers crossed!! (Re: Da' dreaded ISS battery "eatin'" syndrome . . . . )
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2014, 11:19:26 PM »
Dear WeatherCat subscribers to my Davis station "mellar-drama."

The replacement ISS circuit board and enclosure arrived this afternoon as the tracking number promised.  I've swapped in the new part and so far everything is looking good.  However, I've got to get past that dreaded 5 days of battery eatin' to be absolutely sure.  So I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2014, 02:48:06 AM »
Hi edouard
 Hope all goes well you might want to cross your toes too  [biggrin]
Let hope this takes care of it

cheers

[cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2014, 03:23:42 PM »
Thanks for the battery information Herb. I was looking at similar charts for a dozen different brands.

In all the tests I saw, the Duracell 123 performed at or near the top. There is less of a difference in performance between brands at low discharge rate than at a high rate. I cannot see that there is any difference in specifications between Duracell Ultra and Duracell Procell. They appear to be the same battery in different pajamas. The manager of a local batteries and bulbs store told me there is only one plant that makes all 123 batteries and that all are alike so buy the cheapest one you can find. However, the data suggests that brands perform quite differently in the field so after taking all this into consideration, I will be purchasing the Duracell Ultra. It performs well, is easy to find and I don't have to buy them in 8 or 12 packs (I don't have any devices that use this battery other than my ISS).

That being said, I live in a harsh winter climate and my original battery from Davis lasted 7 years before I replaced it. Davis told me the average life of their battery is 2-3 years.

Edouard, I hope you have nailed this thing finally and that you get it running properly, just in time to records what's happening during a rain storm.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Okay after 24 .. . (Re: Da' dreaded ISS battery "eatin'" syndrome . . . .)
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2014, 10:05:47 PM »
Dear Randall, Blick, and WeatherCat station caregiver support group . . .  :)

Thanks for the sympathy!  So far everything is working fine but that was expected.

Edouard, I hope you have nailed this thing finally and that you get it running properly, just in time to records what's happening during a rain storm.

We aren't expecting rain until Thursday.  I took advantage of the limping along situation to do some maintenance of the wooden brackets supporting the ISS.  They sure needed a few coats of varnish.  I'll try to repaint the bracket for the anemometer before the rain hits - it also could use some "luv" . . . .

After that I indeed hope to leave the station alone and have it collect lots and lots and lots of rain!!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Hurray!!! (Re: Da' dreaded ISS battery "eatin'" syndrome . . . . )
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 11:03:28 PM »

Can you believe it!?!?! Day 6 after once more swapping the ISS circuit board and enclosure and this time . . . . no more batteries being eaten!!  [tup]

I varnished the bracket supporting the ISS.  I've repainted the bracket supporting the anemometer so everything is buttoned up for winter.

Better still, we got a little rain today!

Now all I need a whole lot more of da' stuff!!!   [rain2]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Hurray!!! (Re: Da' dreaded ISS battery "eatin'" syndrome . . . . )
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 11:09:20 PM »
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Doc

• Strong Breeze
  • Fly by night Eccentric
    • N9CXI
    • kinnindia
    • N9CXI Eastwood Indianapolis Indiana WX station
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, Mac mini, 2gig Ram 25tb storage, 1 weather web cams.
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2014, 08:03:08 PM »
Good news then, glad it's working out!

Doc
Take care and have fun!  Slainte Mah!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
No Mor'!!! (Re: Da' dreaded ISS battery "eatin'" syndrome . . . . )
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2014, 10:08:50 PM »
Howdy Doc and WeatherCat station caregivers, . . . .

Good news then, glad it's working out!

It's been two weeks since swapping the second ISS board and enclosure and everything is working as it once did.  I don't have to worry about the station anymore!  [bounce]

That's good, because there are - always - things to worry about!  [rainyluck]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
*Sniff* another battery bits da' dust (Re: ISS battery "eatin'" syndrome . .)
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2014, 11:13:17 PM »

*Sniff* I gave the all clear too soon.  This morning once more sensor errors from the temperature/humidity probe and the anemometer.  The event lasted for about 30 minutes started at 1am and once more there was exactly the same number of errors for each instrument.

We got some rain this morning so I couldn't check the battery until around noon.  Under load the battery was down to 3.03 Volts.  This battery has been in the station for only 12 days, so it looks like the same scenario.  I have another thread on the WXForum:

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=24426.new;topicseen#new

However, this time I've decided to try something else.  I have two temperature/humidity probes.  So this afternoon I swapped the data cables.  If it is the probe under the deck that is causing my problems, it should kill the battery in the Wireless Temperature/Humidity Station instead while leaving my ISS alone.  If the battery still dies, that strongly suggests that my anemometer or perhaps the rain gauge or solar sensors are to blame. 

Of course I obligingly put another battery in.  Sure hope you are enjoying your battery commissions Herb!

Oh well, . . . .

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2014, 11:29:40 PM »
Dang! Sorry to hear this. Keep us posted. Even Herb will be unhappy to hear this.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2014, 01:09:15 AM »
Sorry 'bout that, Edouard. Two boards down and a peck of trouble to go. Keep going, though. You'll find it. I guarantee it'll be the last thing you check!

[tup]
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
What to do . . . (Re: Da' dreaded ISS battery "eatin'" syndrome . . . . )
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2014, 10:56:10 PM »

Thanks Blick and Herb for the sympathy.  I have successfully stumped the crew on WXForum as I suspected I would.  It is definitely time to call the folks at Davis Instruments and see if they have heard of anything like this happening.  Beyond that I must confess to have that itch to buy a whole new set of instruments and ISS to get this nightmare to go away.

Oh well, . . . . .

Cheers, Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Could I be this unlucky? (Re: ISS battery "eatin'" syndrome . . . . )
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2014, 11:22:43 PM »

I just got off the phone with Davis Instruments tech support.  I asked the fellow if there was any way that the sensors could be causing the battery to drain.  He flat out said that is just not possible.  There is precisely one way for a Davis ISS to exhibit the symptoms I'm seeing: yet another defective super-capacitor.  Could I have been so unlucky that I would have gotten two replacement ISS circuit boards with bad super-capactors?

I just sent an email to Ryan Wilhour at Scaled Instruments.  I'll be very interested in learning what he think this . .. . . . . .

Stay tuned!!