Author Topic: NEW! ? Shaka Weather Station Weighs 0.34 oz or 9.7 g - 5 Parameters  (Read 18168 times)

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
I just ran across this and thought there would be more than a few here who might be interested. (Link below) The Shaka Weather Station records wind speed, wind direction, temperature, pressure and humidity. It plugs into the iPhone or other smart phones and works with an app to display, record and share instrument readings. Available with wind speed, direction and temperature now for $69.90. Available with all parameters in February for $99.90.

http://shakaon.net

(Discount link in post below)
At checkout, I discovered in the confirmation email that they have a referral program. 5% off to both referrer and referee.
Herb

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re: NEW! ? Shaka Weather Station Weighs 0.34 oz or 9.7 g - 5 Parameters
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 09:17:38 PM »
Hi Bull Winkus
 Thanks for the info it is amazing the new weather stuff they are coming out with for smart phones

cheers

[cheers1]

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 09:27:50 PM »
Yep! It is amazing. The instrumentation is just getting smaller and smaller. I'm sure the price on this one will eventually fall, but still. $99.90 isn't too bad to be getting 5 measured parameters from a pocket size anemometer. That's assuming you already have the smartphone.  [lol]
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
CRAZY - man!! (Re: NEW! ? Shaka Weather Station)
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 10:27:05 PM »
Dear Bull Winkus, Randall, and WeatherCat gadget freaks,

The Shaka Weather Station records wind speed, wind direction, temperature, pressure and humidity. It plugs into the iPhone or other smart phones and works with an app to display, record and share instrument readings.

;)

Crazy man!!   I'm sure everybody will want one!!  [bounce]

Actually, I think Tim Cook should buy this company immediately and give one of these stations to everyone buying an iPhone.

Why you ask?

Have a look at the video that Shaka provides of their station.  How many of you have actually sailed a catamaran?  (never mind the rest!!  :o )

If some idiot actually tried to hold up his iPhone to get the wind speed while on a speeding catamaran . . . . . . . .  they would lose that iPhone in a hurry!  

Now just think of the number of extreme sports yokos who would be having to buy a new iPhone after nearly every outing they make!!

Apple wouldn't be able to make enough iPhones to keep up with demand!!
  [lol2]

Seriously, it does look kind of neat, but honestly, I'm sure more iPhones will meet an untimely end thanks to this device than we would expect of reasonable people ::)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 12:06:27 AM »

[thermo] Hey! If anyone decides to buy one, use this link!

http://shaka.refr.cc/WFX23G3

It's good for a 5% discount, and I think I get a 5% credit as well, but I don't know how I'd use it. I already bought mine! I'm getting the new one coming out in Feb.

[thermo] We've got extreme temperature ranges going on here. Nighttime in low 20's; daytime high of 60?F. Clear and windy!
Herb

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 03:19:14 AM »
Hey Edouard! I was thinking the same thing but with a little twist. I was thinking of all the people who might be holding it out the window of a car going down the interstate trying to measure the airspeed velocity of Detroit Big Iron!

"I'M GETTING TOO MUCH BUFFETING FROM THIS REAR VIEW mir? uh oh."
Herb

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 02:22:23 PM »
Thanks for the link.  [tup]

Have been looking for something like this for hiking and skiing trips. Interesting is this from their FAQ:

Q: Does it work with audio cord extension?
A: Yes, but then you can?t see accurate wind direction because for that we use the smartphones internal compass.

Extension cord allows for keeping the iPhone warm while the 'sensor suite' (6x3x1.5cm only) is somewhere outside to still get reasonable temperature readings.  [biggrin]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: CRAZY - man!! (Re: NEW! ? Shaka Weather Station)
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 03:31:52 PM »
How many of you have actually sailed a catamaran?

Raises hand.
(Racing on inland lakes in Virginia and North Carolina, Chesapeake Bay, and once in the open Atlantic off Virginia Beach)

These and the basic anemometer version have been heavily advertised for some time. I'd like to see a review of one compared to an accurate weather instrument. For temperature, the sensor would need to be out on the open so the temperature of the phone and the hand holding it doesn't bias the readings.

For comparison, Kestrel makes a wide variety of handheld weather instruments, so you can select which features you might be interested in and find a model that suites you. Note that the thermo/hydro sense is out in the open. These are designed for active use, military, enviro-science, sports, etc. and are completely waterproof (and float.) Pricey, but can be found for a lot less than retail at some online retailers. You can see mine in my avatar.

http://www.nkhome.com/kestrel-products/instruments/
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Sailed cataman - without camera! (Re: CRAZY - man!!)
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 10:20:08 PM »
Howdy Steve, and WeatherCat sailors,

How many of you have actually sailed a catamaran?

Raises hand.
(Racing on inland lakes in Virginia and North Carolina, Chesapeake Bay, and once in the open Atlantic off Virginia Beach)

The last family sailboat was a Hobbie 16.  My Dad and I sailed in once in a reservoir and it could go from one end to the other in about 10 minutes!!  From then on we only sailed in San Francisco Bay.  That still relatively sheltered compared to open ocean, but 5 foot chop was possible.  Also, we always departed from Berkeley meaning the winds from the Pacific would blow straight at us through the Golden Gate.  It was a plenty rough ride!!

When I was trying to collect photos of my trusty wagon for my first classic car show, I only found 3 photos of Biquette towing any boats and no one of Biquette with the Hobbie 16.  I was a little puzzled about this at the time, but looking back on it, Dad and I were way too scared of losing a camera to ever take one sailing with that boat!!

I still think the Shaka Weather Station will end up boosting smart phone sales . . . . da' hard way!!

I'd like to see a review of one compared to an accurate weather instrument.

Ditto!

For comparison, Kestrel makes a wide variety of handheld weather instruments, so you can select which features you might be interested in and find a model that suites you. Note that the thermo/hydro sense is out in the open. These are designed for active use, military, enviro-science, sports, etc. and are completely waterproof (and float.) Pricey, but can be found for a lot less than retail at some online retailers. You can see mine in my avatar.

Definitely this market is getting interesting.  If indeed Shaka Weather Station is as accurate as claimed, it might give Kestrel a run for its money.  On the other hand, the Kestrel products are undeniably more rugged.

Has there been any changes in the way Apple support Bluetooth on iOS?  For us Apple loyalists, it is a real drag that you can't access the Kestrel weather data on an iPhone or iPad.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 11:08:51 PM »
You can see mine in my avatar.

I have wondered what that was. I figured it had something to do with weather but didn't know for sure. Thanks for sharing.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
Re: Sailed cataman - without camera! (Re: CRAZY - man!!)
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 06:09:28 AM »
Has there been any changes in the way Apple support Bluetooth on iOS?  For us Apple loyalists, it is a real drag that you can't access the Kestrel weather data on an iPhone or iPad.

A little. With the iPhone 4s in addition to regular Bluetooth, the phones support Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). It is a short range Bluetooth communications protocol that uses (guess what?) very little energy. You could have instrumentation planted in hard to reach places powered by coin batteries that last for years, giving regular readings over BLE.

Does the Kestrel use a wireless communications protocol?
Herb

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 08:47:54 AM »
Lets not forget the Shaka cost about ?44 (UK) the Kestral 4000 costs over ?300 (UK), from Joe Public's point of view you can see what they would think of buying first.

JC

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Yup, definitely appealing price-wise (Re: Shaka Weather Station)
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 09:23:12 PM »
Dear JC and WeatherCat gadget fans,

Lets not forget the Shaka cost about ?44 (UK) the Kestral 4000 costs over ?300 (UK), from Joe Public's point of view you can see what they would think of buying first.

Yup, that's an important point.  If this device really can deliver accuracy comparable with the Kestral it is a game changer.  For many folks, the Shaka just has to be in the good enough ballpark of data that you can use for whatever purpose you want.  For lots of hobbyists and participatory sports, this might suit their needs.

However, the Shaka guys are making quite a claim that it would be usable for folks trying to develop wind power.  If they can back up that claim, Kestral may be in real trouble.

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 07:08:53 AM »

I think Kestrel is already in real trouble. Not because they don't have a good product. They do! No, the issue is that electronics is getting cheaper and smaller. First the transistors replaced the vacuum tubes, then the microchip, then the integrated circuits, then VLSICs, ? And after that I lost track, but miniaturization just keeps coming.

I really don't see the Shaka device as a serious threat to Kestrel. They are going to play in different markets to fill different needs. But the tide is coming in for Kestrel, Fluke, Omega, Extech, Ashcroft and a number of other high quality players, including Davis Instruments, in the instrumentation field. Same old, same old isn't going to cut it much longer. They had better start innovating.

The Shaka device is just an iPhone dongle for weather geeks like us, to play with until we get tired of it or it quits working. I doubt that anyone seriously contemplating the purchase of a Kestrel handheld for professional use is going to switch to using their iPhone. But, a lot of people who have an iPhone might develop an interest in watching the weather!
Herb

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 03:52:48 PM »
You can see mine in my avatar.

I have wondered what that was. I figured it had something to do with weather but didn't know for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook