Author Topic: Webcam Video Loop on Wunderground  (Read 2527 times)

ColdnFrosty

• Strong Breeze
    • AS918
    • KNHSTRAT15
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2, iMac Pro, MacOS Ventura 13.5.1, WC 3.2.0 (364)
Webcam Video Loop on Wunderground
« on: August 29, 2018, 01:58:35 PM »
Is anyone else having issues with their webcams and video loops on Wunderground?

When I select Webcam on my PWS main screen, there is a Missing Webcam error. However, when I select View Webcams on WunderMap, I can see my current webcam image. This issue has existed for a few weeks.

Thanks.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Webcam Video Loop on Wunderground
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 03:47:41 PM »
WU issues are well-documented. Unfortunately, they are not responsive to email as they once were. They are obviously receiving your uploads. They (WU) started a thread for communicating on issues but stopped responding to it after a few weeks. My advice is to wait 'em out for another few weeks and see if it corrects itself.
Blick

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 08:55:20 PM »
Hi
 I had to delete my current one and re-add it to get mine going again and takes 24 hours for it get going again
hope this helps

cheers

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Looks like migration issuez (Re: Webcam Video Loop on Wunderground)
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 10:23:55 PM »
Dear ColdnFrosty, Blick, Randall, and WeatherCat faithful,

Is anyone else having issues with their webcams and video loops on Wunderground?

I just checked and my webcam looks okay on WU, but recently I observed the sporadic FTP upload errors that usually means Weather Underground is once more shuffling servers around somehow.

My advice is to wait 'em out for another few weeks and see if it corrects itself.

I second that motion as a first response.  No reason to fuss with their system given how unreliable it has been lately.  Throwing effort at WU is rather like shouting at the wind - all you'll get a hoarse voice! . . .

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

ColdnFrosty

• Strong Breeze
    • AS918
    • KNHSTRAT15
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2, iMac Pro, MacOS Ventura 13.5.1, WC 3.2.0 (364)
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 10:37:15 PM »
Thanks for the inputs guys.

ColdnFrosty

• Strong Breeze
    • AS918
    • KNHSTRAT15
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 02:54:40 PM »
Seems to be working now.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 03:11:19 PM »
I know it doesn't make any sense, but WU has loads of problems and for the past several months the best approach when those problems impact your station is to wait. Almost every time, eventually the issue is resolved and your station reports go back to normal on their site. In my opinion, they are in a long, slow, death spiral and have alienated a lot of their PWS uploaders. It's a shame as they are the oldest and largest gatherer of backyard weather station data in the world.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
A very twisted plot . . . . (Re: Wunderground)
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 11:43:06 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat frustrated WU users,

I know it doesn't make any sense, but WU has loads of problems and for the past several months the best approach when those problems impact your station is to wait. Almost every time, eventually the issue is resolved and your station reports go back to normal on their site. In my opinion, they are in a long, slow, death spiral and have alienated a lot of their PWS uploaders. It's a shame as they are the oldest and largest gatherer of backyard weather station data in the world.

Your points are all well-taken but there is one very curious twist in the plot.  The Weather Channel bought Weather Underground.  Then IBM bought the Weather Channel.  The plum they were after was - believe it or not - Weather Underground!  The scuttlebutt at the time was that IBM was very interested in using Weather Underground data to see what their Watson artificial intelligence system could do with it as far as improving forecasts.

It has been a long time since the acquisition and clearly IBM has lost their enthusiasm for the acquisition.  However, perhaps the reason has nothing to do with Weather Underground, but instead has everything to do with overoptimism about what Watson could do with the data.

As part of my Ph.D. I relied on Hubert Dreyfus's interpretations of the world of Heidegger.  Based on Heidegger's philosophy, Dreyfus wrote three critiques of artificial intelligence:

1972. What Computers Can't Do: The Limits of Artificial Intelligence. ISBN 0-06-011082-1

1986 (with Stuart Dreyfus). Mind Over Machine: The Power of Human Intuition and Expertise in the Era of the Computer. New York: Free Press.

1992. What Computers Still Can't Do: A Critique of Artificial Reason. Cambridge, Massachusetts: MIT Press. ISBN 0-262-54067-3

I haven't read the 3rd book, but the first two are quite compelling.  The Wikipedia article on Dreyfus's critiques indicate that after years of ignoring it, artificial intelligence has been force to reconsider their assumptions in light of these Heideggerian-based criticisms.  It is well worth pondering how realistic machine intelligence really is as we are seeing another revival sadly driven mostly by advances in computing power.  Dreyfus pointed out over 40 years ago, no matter how much computer power is applied, machine will not be intelligent in the way that humans are.

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 03:28:14 PM »
[A] machine will not be intelligent in the way that humans are.
Considering the current predicament of our "intelligence" I don't put my faith in humans. [rolleyes2] [banghead] But I do agree with your point.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
So true! . . . . (Was: Webcam Video Loop on Wunderground)
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 10:15:23 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat observers of our present predicament,

[A] machine will not be intelligent in the way that humans are.
Considering the current predicament of our "intelligence" I don't put my faith in humans. [rolleyes2] [banghead]

Sad but definitely true! . . . .  :(  Nobody has felt the need to develop artificial stupidity.  There is always way too much of the natural kind!! . . .

Cheers, Edouard