Author Topic: iOS Client-Server Connection  (Read 26639 times)

embayweather

• Strong Breeze
    • DW3656
    • lENGLAND128
    • Lancastrian Imaging
  • Station Details: Oregon WM928, Intel Mac 2.5Ghz, I5 Quad core, Met Office spec manual instruments, Cat, WD, 1-wire, Labjack, Lightning Radar
iOS Client-Server Connection
« on: May 22, 2012, 08:16:12 AM »
I was happily able to access my data via the Local link, and was trying to get data over the internet as well. that was an ongoing experiment but the whole program has now simply refused to start. I get a nice picture of a muggy, and then it simply folds in on itself and you have to try again, with the same result.
At the moment I have deleted it from my phone, and I will try a re install when i get back to my daughter's studio. Has anyone experienced something similar, or have I just been unlucky?

Best wishes

Mike

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
Re: Stopped Working
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 06:23:12 PM »
I was happily able to access my data via the Local link, and was trying to get data over the internet as well. that was an ongoing experiment but the whole program has now simply refused to start. I get a nice picture of a muggy, and then it simply folds in on itself and you have to try again, with the same result.
At the moment I have deleted it from my phone, and I will try a re install when i get back to my daughter's studio. Has anyone experienced something similar, or have I just been unlucky?

What are you using for the Internet URL?

There are instances where a valid URL may not lead to a valid WeatherCat server. This caused version 1.0 to shut down and refuse to restart. Version 1.1 handles this case better. Install WeatherCat 1.1 (now in the iTunes App Store).

embayweather

• Strong Breeze
    • DW3656
    • lENGLAND128
    • Lancastrian Imaging
  • Station Details: Oregon WM928, Intel Mac 2.5Ghz, I5 Quad core, Met Office spec manual instruments, Cat, WD, 1-wire, Labjack, Lightning Radar
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 10:09:09 AM »
I was using my dns address, embayweather.dyndns(DOT)org. The device said it found the computer but could not find the details. I am at the studio now. I have deleted and reuploaded the software but in view of oyur comments I will get hold of version 1.1 and try again.

Thanks for your advice.

Best wishes

Mike

embayweather

• Strong Breeze
    • DW3656
    • lENGLAND128
    • Lancastrian Imaging
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 11:03:20 AM »
All is now well. Downloaded the new version, and remembered (after Stu had reminded me), to change the IP address in my router after a reboot.

Sooooo happy now.

Thanks once again

Best wishes

Mike

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
Connecting using WiFi or Cell
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 08:40:27 PM »
A WeatherCat App user reported to me that they couldn't connect to a weather server over their office WiFi. However, they could connect using a cellular connection. Does anyone have any ideas about what would cause this?

(By the way, this topic should be titled "iOS Client-Server Connection". How can I change it? Create a new topic named "iOS Client-Server Connection" and merge this topic into it?)

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
iOS Client-Server Connection
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 08:43:19 PM »
Use this topic for questions, problems, and discussions about connecting the iOS Client to a WeatherCat Server.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 08:52:01 PM »
It could be a firewall on the wifi blocking the needed ports.

(Please see http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Rename_topics with regards to renaming a topic - there are a couple of ways).

Cheers,
Stu.

N8NOE

• Strong Breeze
    • N8NOE-WX
    • KMIWATER7
    • N8NOE's Home Page (WX Link of Front )
  • Station Details: OSX Mountain Lion Server, WMR968
Re: iOS Client-Server Connection
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 01:19:48 AM »
Seems I was looking and this would be where:
QUESTION,
What ports are needed to have the iOS app connect outside to the WC server?..

Jeff-N8NOE

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 05:25:12 PM »
Seems I was looking and this would be where:
QUESTION,
What ports are needed to have the iOS app connect outside to the WC server?..

Jeff-N8NOE

The answer is in in the WeatherCat Wiki http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Port_Forwarding

N8NOE

• Strong Breeze
    • N8NOE-WX
    • KMIWATER7
    • N8NOE's Home Page (WX Link of Front )
  • Station Details: OSX Mountain Lion Server, WMR968
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 11:32:45 AM »
Ports have been set, and Individually Numbers apposed to a Range..
Just seems to work when it wants to?

AlexinDC

• Calm
  • Hey, I just work for the Augie!
    • KVAARLIN23
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 (since 2004!): MacBook Air OSX High Sierra 10.3.2; WeatherLink
New User Seeks Help
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 03:28:16 PM »
Hello, I am new to the iOS app and am having difficulty connecting via the internet (no difficulty running on local network).  Would appreciate any help the community could offer.

As for the preliminaries, I have read the entirety of this forum + support pages + manual. Which means: (1) I have assigned a static IP address to the laptop running Weathercat; (2) forwarded ports 49250-49254 (Verizon FIOS gateway/router) to that laptop's static IP address; (3) entered the router/gateway's WAN IP address in the iOS client (if this matters, I used just the address, no prefix such as http://, although I tried that too for a while); and (4) wasted countless hours trying to get the foregoing (and variations thereof) to work.

I'm hoping someone can soon put me out of my misery.   [sweat2]

Many thanks, Alex

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 05:04:39 PM »
Alex:

This is just a shot in the dark, but you appear to have an external IP address assigned in the field labeled Private IP Address in your IPv4 Port Map for Weather Station. On my setup, I assigned an internal IP address in that field. If all of your internal addresses start with 192, then you can ignore this paragraph.

For my iOS network connection, I use dyndns.org to create a proxy for the external static IP address I use for remoting in to my home network. Then in the WeatherCat iOS client, I simply list the name of the dyndns.org proxy name (without any prefix).

If you have static IP for your home network (you would obtain this from your ISP) simply enter that IP address without any prefix in the network setting on the client. If you don't have static IP, you either have to use dyndns (or a similar proxy service) or you enter the dynamic IP address for your router, but realize that it may change if you have to renew your lease (reboot) your router.

Assigning a static IP address to a computer on your home network is typically an internal IP address, not the external IP address you obtain from your ISP.
Blick

AlexinDC

• Calm
    • KVAARLIN23
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 (since 2004!): MacBook Air OSX High Sierra 10.3.2; WeatherLink
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 07:36:08 PM »
Blick,

Thanks so much for your help and your interest.  Responding to your points:

1.  In fact, all my internal LAN addresses do start with 192.  My gateway/router's current external DHCP address starts with 173.  But I'm curious, how/where did you find an external IP address in the "Private IP Address" in my IPv4 Port Map??  I couldn't find anything like that anywhere.  I am reasonably proficient computers, but not at the level of most of the posters here.

2.  I took your advice and set up a static external proxy IP address for my router/gateway and entered that address in the appropriate field in the iOS client.  That didn't work.  I also checked with my internet provider (Verizon) and they are not blocking the relevant ports.  Although, a port check app I downloaded from no-ip.net says that it can't see the ports.  So that's a clue.

The rest of the information you provided regarding use of static external and internal IP addresses doesn't seem to be relevant at this point or, in the case of assigning a static internal address for my mac laptop, as I mentioned before I have already done that.

Thanks, Alex

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 03:03:38 AM »
Alex:

Try killing your iOS app and restarting it. Then see if you can see your data on the Network setting. I have noticed that in iOS 7 once the Network setting says it can't connect, even though I know my settings are correct, it will never connect again until I kill the app and start fresh. Then it starts working again.

If that doesn't work, then I'm stumped. Your settings for port mapping are the same as mine. And the router's gateway IP address (WAN) is what should do the trick in the iOS Network Client. Hopefully someone else will catch what we are missing here. It ought to work as you have described.
Blick

AlexinDC

• Calm
    • KVAARLIN23
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 04:55:02 AM »
Blick:

Thanks for your second reply and your help.  I really appreciate it.

Sadly, I already noticed that the WeatherCat iOS client hangs frequently and have been "killing the app" (although, as is evident, the app is "killing me") all along as I have tried different configurations of my external IP address.  So that doesn't work for me.

Anyone else have a thought or suggestion?

Thanks, Alex