Author Topic: "What's *that* file for!?!?" - Server Cleanup  (Read 2861 times)

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
"What's *that* file for!?!?" - Server Cleanup
« on: November 06, 2017, 08:19:12 PM »
Okay, old-timers. I'm trying to clean out my Custom Web folders, and the files that are on my server. I've tried a bunch of stuff over the years, and finding things that I don't know what they are for, or if I still need them.

The realtime gaugesWC is for the SteelSeries, gauges, right?

And I know the LWC_uploader was a carryover from WeatherCat before it did its Phoenix act. But I can't remember what script it was used for and if I still need it.

On the server side, I have a couple of files that I don't know why they are in there.

Arial.ttf  - Obviously I added a font for something. Was this the SteelSeries Gauges? Meteotemplate? (which I have removed)

Image_upload.html - which contains the following tags:

Code: [Select]
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>image_upload</TITLE>
<META http-equiv="Content-type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">

GRTEMPO$<BR>
GRDEW$<BR>
GRHUMO$<BR>
GRWINDCH$<BR>
GRHEATI$<BR>
GRSOLAR$<BR>
GRUV$<BR>
GRWINDD$<BR>
GRWINDS$<BR>
GRPRESSURE$<BR>
GRCLOUDB$<BR>
GRRAIN1$<BR>
GRRAIN24$<BR>
GRHUMI$<BR>
GRTEMPI$<BR>

</BODY>
</HTML>

I haven't a clue what those were for!

On a side note, Eduard's scripts finally stopped working a couple of months ago. Not associated with any updates or any changes that I could figure out. They just started throwing errors and quitting. I'm not sure that I want start over with them or not, yet. I definitely miss the station status.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: "What's *that* file for!?!?" - Server Cleanup
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 09:02:54 PM »
Steve:

I can shed some light on part of this.

RealtimeguagesWC is the data file for SteelSeries Gauges.

It's probable that you uploaded Arial.tff for the SteelSeries as well. The Gauges have a default font and if you don't like it you can upload a tff font of your choice. I uploaded Arial.tff and ArialBold.tff

Image_upload.html is also for the SteelSeriesGauges. It is a one-time upload to your website of the WeatherCat tags for the popup graphs so that WeatherCat can replace them with the actual graph as it updates with new data.

Don't know about LWC_uploader and have never had any luck getting Edouard's scripts to work so no help there.
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 10:52:10 PM »
Thank you, John!

I still need to update SteelSeries Gauges to the latest version. I'm at least a couple behind. So I need to leave the image_upload.html on the server, right? It isn't in my upload folder, but the file on the server is dated last November. I've had SSG working a lot longer than that.

I think maybe LWC_uploader.txt might have been associated with the old WOW uploads. I'll pull it out of the folder and see if anything breaks.

I just removed the remainder of Edouard's scripts. The only one still being used on my web page was the station status, and it hasn't worked since late September. I was really the only one who cared if that was working or not. I doubt any of my viewers looked at it, or if they did, probably never looked again. That menu option has been removed from my web page.

Thanks again!
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 11:09:13 PM »
What does/did the "station status" script provide... Well, Jim, I'm betting it displayed the Station Status, you idiot! OK, dumb question, even dumber answer.. Rephrase, exactly what kind of information does/did the "station status" display? Text? Uptime? Dirt in the Rain Gauge? Dust on the Solar panel? [goofy] In 543 words or less, please. [tup]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Sorry to hear about the AppleScripts (Re: "What's *that* file for!?!?")
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 11:31:04 PM »
Dear Steve, Blick, and WeatherCat AppleScript fans,

On a side note, Eduard's scripts finally stopped working a couple of months ago. Not associated with any updates or any changes that I could figure out. They just started throwing errors and quitting. I'm not sure that I want start over with them or not, yet. I definitely miss the station status.

Sorry to hear that the venerable AppleScripts gave up the ghost for you.  They are still working here.  If you want some copies of the original files to start over let me know.

Cheers, Edouard

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 01:05:00 AM »
what kind of information does/did the "station status" display?

Here's Edouard's active example. http://www.canebas.org/Weather/Canebas_status.html
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 03:40:54 AM »
Thanks, Steve (and Edouard). Lots of "status" from that script. I like the bit of humor the Professor worked into the page: "Errors should be very infrequent." Or is that just a working philosophy! cmu:-) [tup]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 09:13:05 PM »
I see that your SteelSeries is now at 2.6.3 so you are up to date. In fact 2.6.3. is two versions newer that Mark's Wiki at Cumulus.

So do I understand you correctly that you are no longer running the other template (Meteotemplate)? If you don't mind me asking, what's your reasoning for not pursuing it? Just curious.
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 10:40:55 PM »
John,

Yep, everything is now updated, broken links fixed, bad radar hidden, etc. It was sorely in need of some site maintenance and server cleaning. I was fiddling with replacing the current conditions on the front page with a mini set if SS Gauges, but didn't like the look. I'll play with some WeatherCat custom gauges to see if I come up with something I like. Odd how you get set with what's there and don't like to change things.

I like Meteotemplate a lot, and it is very versatile. I had a bunch of problems getting cron jobs working, and then months later out of the blue, they stopped. I messed with them a while and couldn't get cron jobs working again. That killed a lot of the data coming into MT. Then there were a couple of major upgrades and a lot of block updates that I didn't keep up with. Doing everything at once, broke a lot of stuff. So I simply deleted the entire directory.

I might try again over the winter with a minimized set of blocks. But for now, I like the simplicity of what's worked well for over six years, even if it isn't flashy.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 10:48:05 PM »
... had a bunch of problems getting cron jobs working, and then months later out of the blue, they stopped. I messed with them a while and couldn't get cron jobs working again.
Do you use an app to create those? Or maybe just the offerings at your hosting company? I really like LaunchControl.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 10:58:48 PM »
Do you use an app to create those? Or maybe just the offerings at your hosting company? I really like LaunchControl.

I had to end up using cron-job.org, because anything else I tried that folks here suggested didn't work for me. And then that stopped working...
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
The twisted story of my AppleScripts (Was: "What's *that* file for!?!?")
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 01:11:02 AM »
Dear Steve, X-Air, Blick, and WeatherCat old-timers,

Thanks, Steve (and Edouard). Lots of "status" from that script. I like the bit of humor the Professor worked into the page: "Errors should be very infrequent." Or is that just a working philosophy! cmu:-) [tup]

Like many things associated with WeatherCat there is a story behind that phrase and it is somewhat unexpected.  My AppleScripts probably would have never been created except for an extremely unfortunately first choice for getting my data from my console to my Mac.  The console was in the nook about 50 feet away from my Mac.  I discovered that you could get USB over Cat-5 adapters.  Unfortunately, these adapters don't work very well with Davis data loggers and I would frequently lose the connection with the station.  Eventually I wrote some AppleScripts that would detect this and use Growl to "bark" out a warning using the Mac speech system.  Since my Mac also serves at the household jukebox the warning could be heard about anywhere I would rush over to reconnect my station to my Mac.  From that first humble AppleScript eventually the entire collection grew.

Eventually I gave up on the USB over Cat-5 setup in favor or a Davis Weather Envoy.  Alas the trauma of losing the station connection never completely left me . . . . . 

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]