Author Topic: Pete from GA looking to upgrade  (Read 2634 times)

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
  • Station Details: iMac, Davis Vonage Pro
Pete from GA looking to upgrade
« on: May 24, 2012, 01:38:21 AM »
I am running LWC2 on a dual core 2.4 Ghz, OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) iMac with a Davis Vontage Pro 2, usb connected. I have forgot how long it has been running without a problem. All I use it for is uploading to weather underground. The webcam has a web interface so I don't use LWC2 to upload video frames.

I am looking to upgrade to WeatherCat, is it as easy as an LWC2 update. If I stop LWC2 and start WeatherCat, will WeatherCat read my LWC settings, find the Vontage Pro 2 and continue to upload to weather underground without reentering the settings? I read the time and date on the VP2 should match the computer. My station has be running without attention so long, the VP2 is 13 minutes slow. I don't see an easy way to keep the time correct on the VP2, is this an issue for me to be concerned about?

Thanks

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
da' Cat just like upgrading LWC (Re: looking to upgrade)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 03:30:37 AM »
Hello Pete and welcome to WeatherCat forum!

I am looking to upgrade to WeatherCat, is it as easy as an LWC2 update. If I stop LWC2 and start WeatherCat, will WeatherCat read my LWC settings, find the Vontage Pro 2 and continue to upload to weather underground without reentering the settings?

In a word: YES!!!!  [bounce]

Switching to WeatherCat is just like upgrading from one version of LWC to another.  Essentially, all your settings will be imported.  There is a file in the WeatherCat Documentation folder: WeatherCat_LWC_Differences.rtf that gives you all the details about the differences.  The only thing I vaguely remember is that you might need to put back some email settings.

I read the time and date on the VP2 should match the computer. My station has be running without attention so long, the VP2 is 13 minutes slow. I don't see an easy way to keep the time correct on the VP2, is this an issue for me to be concerned about?

Actually LWC and now WeatherCat can automatically keep your station clock in sync.  It is an option under Station Hardware Options.  Is there some reason you couldn't use that option?  That's the easiest way to solve that problem and I don't think it will affect your data at all.

Again welcome and if you have any problems upgrading be sure to let us know about them.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
  • Station Details: iMac, Davis Vonage Pro
Re: Pete from GA looking to upgrade
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 08:40:57 PM »
Thanks, I am installing now. Sounds like the station sync is what I need. I will check it out after the install.