Author Topic: Yosemite  (Read 15522 times)

ColdnFrosty

• Strong Breeze
    • AS918
    • KNHSTRAT15
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2, iMac Pro, MacOS Ventura 13.5.1, WC 3.2.0 (364)
Yosemite
« on: September 25, 2014, 02:54:13 PM »
I noticed that the current released version of WeatherCat crashes every 24 hours while running on Yosemite on my Mac. It does automatically restart, but I do see the WeatherCat crash window every morning.

bob2k2

• Gentle Breeze
Re: Yosemite Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 05:46:59 PM »
Is 2.0 Yosemite Beta complaint? This info seems to be not very clear.  With the release of the Yosemite in the next week or to some info this would be enlightening. 

I too have experience crashes at least one a day  - then there is a restart ( this is on two Vantage Pro2 machines and 2 houses), but I wasn't sure if the was because on an automator I set up years ago (which file I cannot locate on my hard drive) or because of the 2.0 program.  I also thought this might be related to my USB driver and I reinstalled it to be sure - to no avail. [snow]

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re: Yosemite
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 07:05:11 PM »
Hi WeatherCat Friends
Stu does not like to try to make the Cat compatiable during all the new beta testing  of a new OS because there is so much code that does not work right with the code after they get ready to release the new OS they send all developers the release notes that tells what needs to be done to make their software ready to use with it or something like that

cheers
 [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
There are "issuez" . . . (Re: Yosemite Compatibility)
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 10:05:21 PM »
Dear Bob and WeatherCat leading edgers, . . .

Is 2.0 Yosemite Beta complaint?

Stu isn't around to give an answer, but I can offer a rumor that there are issues with software drivers and Yosemite.  So even if WeatherCat is Yosemite Beta complaint, not every weather station will be able to run until third party software is updated for Yosemite.  At the risk of ruining your whole day, yes Davis stations are explicitly mentioned in the rumor.

Sorry . . . .

Edouard

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 05:16:56 PM »
We've had WeatherCat 2.0 running here for a couple of weeks (on a clean install of 10.10) with no issues seen. However, we have to run over WeatherLink IP because the SiliconLabs driver does not work on a clean install (no comms port available). I'm guessing they'll update the driver for 10.10.

We have one crash on support, which we're looking into (sadly it's an OS routine that's crashing), so we're sending the reports to Apple and asking for more information to see if we can reproduce it here.

However, until the final OS ships, we won't know for sure what's changed and how it affects WeatherCat.

The best advice is to hold off until more is known and any drivers you are reliant on are at least known to be fully working on 10.10.

bob2k2

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 02:46:29 AM »
Thank you.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 05:15:29 PM »
Quick update on this one, 10.10 GM3 (14A388a) seems to fix the problem with the Silicon Labs driver.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Interesting . . . (Re: Yosemite)
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 09:04:16 PM »
Howdy Stu and WeatherCat USB Davis users,

Quick update on this one, 10.10 GM3 (14A388a) seems to fix the problem with the Silicon Labs driver.

Hmm, that's interesting.  That suggests that Apple broke the Silicon Labs driver and somehow was aware of it.  Oh well, doesn't make any difference for us users of that driver, as long as it works.  Still, it is a curious change of affairs.

Thanks for the update Stu!!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 08:33:59 PM »
I haven't had any luck getting the Yosemite update yet, the App Store is still claiming no updates available despite being 2? hours after the live Apple event.

bob2k2

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 04:51:13 AM »
assume you have Yosemite by now - but you can directly download the app from the store - bypass the "Update" if you installed the Beta as it does not show up.  the full app d/l was there from the get go and i just did a total reinstall.

Aside from my problem listed below Yosemite is rock solid.

RE: the Crash fix - I am still having the problem w/ intermittent WeatherCat crashes with 2.0 on 2 machines (one at home and at a 2nd home - both use Davis Vantage Pro 2's) - I have installed LingOn X to restart the app when it crashes  with varying degrees of success (unless someone has a simpler and more elegant solution - I gave up on trying to decypher setting up an Automator workflow).
Very frustrating, as at one site is for our homeowner association and may use the data especially in the winter as it is w we are atop a WV mountain.http://athena.trixology.com/Smileys/default/rainy_luck_emoticon.png

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 08:43:56 AM »
Hi bob2k2,
First remove LingOn X so that it won't try to restart WeatherCat and reboot the machine. Next, if you are running a USB logger, check you have the latest SiliconLabs drivers installed (V3.1 currently) - you can get them at http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/pages/usbtouartbridgevcpdrivers.aspx.
If it's a serial logger, check with the manufacturer of your USB to serial adaptor for the latest drivers,

Once you've done this, launch WeatherCat and switch on 'Monitor And Restart WeatherCat' in the 'Units/Misc 1' pane of its preferences. This will restart it if it detects any problem it can't fix or if it unexpectedly quits.

If it's still crashing after doing this, email us the following information (http://trixology.com/contact-us/):
a). A description of your set-up. We need to know your Mac model, what peripherals are attached, what weather station hardware and what data logger you are using (USB, serial, IP)
b). The latest crash report. To find the crash report, please see http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Console_application.
c). When the problem started happening - is it related to any particular event, new hardware, software addition etc.
d). Any other information you think may help.

Thanks  [tup]

leonrossouw

• Gentle Breeze
    • iGauteng95
    • Elandsbergweather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue , Macbook 13 inch early 2008
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 09:58:48 AM »
Weathercat 2.0 running perfectly on Yosemite....no issues.
I do have issues with weathercat 2.0 and Lion os (10.7.5)
My custom gauges would not load to my custom web pages ....if I run the very same thing on Yosemite no problem ! Anyone experiencing the same problem ?
I use my old macbook with Lion os as a server for my weather station and cannot update the software any further.
Any suggestions ?
Regards,
Leon Rossouw, South Africa.
www.elandsbergweather.com

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 01:13:46 PM »
This morning, updated to Yosemite on the Mac mini that runs my weather-related software and can add to the positive reports...WeatherCat 2.0.0 is running just fine.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 03:25:22 PM »
Here's my post from the WC 2.0 release thread from a couple of days ago.

Running on a fresh upgrade to Yosemite! (Not a clean install.) Everything is running just fine.

Computer: Late 2011 27" iMac 2.7 GHz i5, 16 GB RAM
Hardware: Davis wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus w/24 hour FARS, wireless anemometer transmitter, Leaf & Soil Temp/Moisture Station, Weatherlink USB data logger
WeatherCat version: 2.0.0 (build 4475), USB driver: CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller.

I have not had a single problem with any of my normally used software since, and running all the same applications I normally have running, I'm seeing more free RAM. The constantly growing mdflagwriter that would often grow to several GB is now jut 1.2 MB

For those of us still using the (better) old version of EvoCam (v.3.7.6) note that it still works as it did under Mavericks. (In my case, that means it stops on its own twice a day, which is why I have an AppleScript to check and relaunch it.) Even the temperamental
BOINC/Quake-Catcher Network software works fine after a reinstall.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

awilltx

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 07:28:44 PM »
Another happy Yosemite upgrader here ;)  One little hiccup with server port not found, but reboot seemed to fix.