Author Topic: New weather satellite launched  (Read 1881 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
New weather satellite launched
« on: November 18, 2017, 05:58:55 PM »
First of it's kind, with three more to follow, weather satellite launched this morning.

https://www.space.com/38766-jpss1-weather-satellite-launch-success.html
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks for sharing - looks like a needed upgrade! (Re: New satellite launched)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 10:38:35 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat weather tech observers,

First of it's kind, with three more to follow, weather satellite launched this morning.

Thanks for sharing.  I didn't know that NASA was upgrading the polar orbiting satellites as well as the geosynchronous weather satellites.  Looks like the upgrade was needed.  I do hope the other 3 satellites will in orbit soon as well as the geosynchronous satellite for the west coast.

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: New weather satellite launched
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 12:44:29 AM »
I think it's NOAA that is upgrading the satellites, NASA just provides the rides. ;) As mentioned, there is only one more Atlas available. I assume that means of the originals. ULA has re-built some using Russian (RD-180 rocket motors). At any rate, disposable/expendable rockets are wasting lots of money on one shot 'tricks'. OTOH, this is another method of incentivizing miniaturization! ;) And, of course, commercialization of re-usable vehicles. ThU5:-)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Some space trivia (Re: New weather satellite launched)
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 11:07:20 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat seekers of space-based trivia . . . .

I think it's NOAA that is upgrading the satellites, NASA just provides the rides. ;)

It isn't like it really matters but supposedly the satellites are operated in a "partnership" between NOAA and NASA.  I do hope government agencies can get along in situations like this, but one can never be too sure.

As mentioned, there is only one more Atlas available. I assume that means of the originals.

Again mostly trivial pursuits, but the launch vehicle in this case was actually a Delta II.  It is a venerable design that dates all the back to about 1960!

ULA has re-built some using Russian (RD-180 rocket motors).

This is where there is a point worth pursuing perhaps.  The story behind the Russian RD-180 rocket motor is fascinating and if you have Netflix streaming there is a neat documentary on the development of that motor:

https://www.netflix.com/title/80119093

Anyone interested in the space program and how rocket engines works will really enjoy it.

Cheers, Edouard