Author Topic: Saratoga weather template instructions  (Read 4904 times)

weathernowcast

• Gentle Breeze
  • mac convert
    • C2862
    • KNJHAWTH1
    • weatherNOWcast
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 iMac: Processor 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 8GB 1600 MHz using WeatherCat... converting from a PC running VWS
Saratoga weather template instructions
« on: December 28, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
SO I am confused about one section in the saratoga.org instructions for the website templates:

http://saratoga-weather.org/wxtemplates/install.php

Step 13:

Now you can upload ALL the files/directories to your website using FTP (ASCII mode for all .php, css, .js and txt files, BINARY mode for all .gif, .jpg, .png). Make sure that ALL the files/directories are uploaded to your website.
View each new page of your site starting with wxindex.php and use the navigation links to navigate all pages. Your website should be ready for use.

Do I use the FTP server on weathercat to do this?  All the files?  all the time?

If no?

Which files ( found on the WCT-plugin.zip files) should I be transferring from the "HTML Source"?
 just the WCTtags.php file --or more?

Did I get that right?  Then everything else should be uploaded via FTP just once using my websites FTP server?

I am confused on which files are uploaded jut once and which files are uploaded "all the time."

Forgive me as this may my VWS bias.....

old site: http://weathernowcast.com

current effort:
http://www.weathernowcast.com/WCTtags.php?sce=view
http://weathernowcast.com/WCTtags.php?sce=dump
http://www.weathernowcast.com/WeatherCat_test.html

Perhaps rephrasing:

Which template and/or php files should be in the directory serviced by the "Set html Source" and which ones should I upload separately?
Which php files need to be on my computer and which ones need to be on my website and in which directory? 

Thank you very kindly in advance.
Brian Lubbert, CCM

saratogaWX

• Strong Breeze
  • Weather website programming enthusiast
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
  • Station Details: Davis VP1 +, iMAC 21, OSX 10.6.8
Re: Saratoga weather template instructions
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 02:48:45 AM »
Hi Brian,

Sorry you're experiencing issues with the AJAX/PHP template set.  Maybe this will help explain a bit more about what the template set needs from WeatherCat.

1) the vast majority of the scripts/images included with the Base and WCT-plugin distribution .zip files are 'static' -- they exist on the website and need to be uploaded there once (usually by a FTP client, not by WeatherCat).  So for Step 13 in the directions, you should use a FTP client (like FileZilla on the PC) to do this upload, and not WeatherCat

2) WeatherCat needs to routinely upload the WCTtags.php file and graphics files it creates to your website -- the WCTtags.php file contains all the weather data from your station that the template set needs to display your conditions.  You can optionally have WeatherCat upload a WCT_realtime.txt file at shorter intervals than 5 minutes (I use 0.2 minute uploads), and this file can be used by the AJAX script (ajaxWCTwx.js) to update some of the data displayed on the home-page dashboard and in the gizmo at the top-right of each page.  These two files and the graph files created by WeatherCat are the only files you need to have WeatherCat FTP upload.

Hope this helps...

Best regards,
Ken

Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis Vantage Pro Plus - FARS, Boltek-PCI/NexStorm, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteohub, WeatherSnoop, WeatherCat
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

weathernowcast

• Gentle Breeze
  • mac convert
    • C2862
    • KNJHAWTH1
    • weatherNOWcast
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 iMac: Processor 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 8GB 1600 MHz using WeatherCat... converting from a PC running VWS
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 04:18:32 AM »
Ken That is very clear now.  Thank you.

Does it matter which directory the static files are uploaded to when I FTP them?
Brian Lubbert, CCM

saratogaWX

• Strong Breeze
  • Weather website programming enthusiast
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
  • Station Details: Davis VP1 +, iMAC 21, OSX 10.6.8
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 06:30:34 AM »
The files in the distribution .zip packages should be uploaded while preserving the subdirectory names and contents.  The main scripts should be in the document root of your website, with the subdirectories preserved.  When finished, the document root will have the .php, .js, .css, .txt, .html files,
./ajax-images/ will have .gif, .png, .jpg files
./cache/ will be writable by PHP and used to store data from forecast, advisory, and other scripts
./forecast/images/ will contain images used by the forecast program

I highly recommend using FileZilla for doing the uploads.. It's free, and works on Macs too :)

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis Vantage Pro Plus - FARS, Boltek-PCI/NexStorm, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteohub, WeatherSnoop, WeatherCat
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

weathernowcast

• Gentle Breeze
  • mac convert
    • C2862
    • KNJHAWTH1
    • weatherNOWcast
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 07:48:12 PM »
Filezilla rocks!
Brian Lubbert, CCM