Author Topic: Harvey (and it ain't no rabbit)  (Read 7396 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Harvey (and it ain't no rabbit)
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 05:52:42 AM »
He lives in Port Aransas, which was hit hard and heavy. Many buildings flattened, roofs gone, catastrophic destruction. Power lines indeed down and might be for weeks/months. Sure hoping to hear from him. Our kids lives in Houston where there is much less wind damage but serious flooding. They are both safe and dry, so far, but it's still coming down and no end to it yet in the forecast. Mother Nature is furious.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 04:40:15 PM »
High ridge pressure now from Canada to Mexico in central US. Hoping Harvey will now get a kick-in-the-rear and start moving east a bit faster.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

TechnoMonkey

• Strong Breeze
    • EW9323
    • KTXARANS6
    • TechnoMonkeys Weather
  • Station Details: La Crosse WS-2315 / High Sierra Server / Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8GB Ram / OS 120GB SSD / Home Folder 500GB FireWire / DATA 8TB RAID 5 / 1TB TIME CAPSULE
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 01:28:19 AM »
Alive and well. House survived, but trees and shingles did not. No power yet. Probably a week or so out. Minimal Internet and phone.

We got hit by the west and south wall. Hearsay is the edge of the eye was 100 feet north of us.

I WILL NEVER EVER ride out another.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2017, 01:38:23 AM »
Minimal Internet and phone.
Maximum thanks from here that you've survived! Thanks for letting us know! Enjoy the lack of SPAM! [lol]

Hopefully the storm surge had minimal effect on your house. Assuming you still got water damage from loss of shingles?
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2017, 01:50:16 AM »
So glad to hear from you and that you are safe! I lived in Houston for 30 years. I evacuated for Katrina but sat out the rest. The evacuation took 13 hours to drive to Dallas. Had to go up the back roads so I could find gas. Still better than sitting in your house waiting to be killed. Again, what a blessing that you are safe and still have a house.

Our two children that live in Houston came though blessed as well. So many around them were flooded. Both of their homes are high enough that water never came inside, although it came close. One son will need a new roof. The other one said his biggest problem was underestimating how quickly the Peanut M&Ms would go. They have been helping people who were less fortunate muck out for 4 days now.

Very inspiring to see people pull together to help people.

It will be nice to get your station back online. Best of luck!
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Glad to hear from you! (Re: Harvey (and it ain't no rabbit))
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 12:03:18 AM »
Dear TechnoMonkey, X-Air, Blick, and WeatherCat faithful,

I'm sure glad to see you made it one piece and managed to get back the forum!  :)

Alive and well. House survived, but trees and shingles did not. No power yet. Probably a week or so out. Minimal Internet and phone.

You have plenty of things to do, but when you get a chance - what happened to your weather station?

Cheers, Edouard

TechnoMonkey

• Strong Breeze
    • EW9323
    • KTXARANS6
    • TechnoMonkeys Weather
  • Station Details: La Crosse WS-2315 / High Sierra Server / Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8GB Ram / OS 120GB SSD / Home Folder 500GB FireWire / DATA 8TB RAID 5 / 1TB TIME CAPSULE
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 01:39:08 AM »
The 6 inch light pole, to which it was mounted, snapped. The wind and rain broke when the pole went down. Got spare equipment, but still waiting on power and Internet. All I have is generator and smart phone for now.  And smartphone service is intermittent at best.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2017, 06:55:09 PM »
I ran on generator power for 2 weeks after Katrina. Miserable in the heat. Hang in there.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Expected and glad you have spares! (Re: Harvey (and it ain't no rabbit))
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2017, 10:32:08 PM »
Dear TechnoMonkey, Blick and WeatherCat station caregivers,

The 6 inch light pole, to which it was mounted, snapped. The wind and rain broke when the pole went down.

I didn't think it could have survived that sort of a storm but I was curious to know what happened.

Got spare equipment, but still waiting on power and Internet.

I'm glad you have replacement parts for your station since I assume it has been long discontinued.

All I have is generator and smart phone for now.  And smartphone service is intermittent at best.

Hang in there!  Surely the worst has passed and you'll be able to soon put your life back together again!

Cheers, Edouard