Author Topic: WeatherCat for Apple TV  (Read 17369 times)

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
WeatherCat for Apple TV
« on: October 27, 2015, 06:11:03 PM »
WeatherCat is coming to the big screen! Just heard from Apple that my 9th app, WeatherCat for Apple TV, passed review and will be in the App Store for the launch of the new Apple TV. I was thrilled to be selected by Apple to receive a pre-release Apple TV for development and thrilled again to make it into the App Store before the new Apple TV ships.

If you are a WeatherCatPad fan, then WeatherCatTV will look very familiar, but with a simplified feature set. It has 3 pre-defined layouts that you can customize by selecting the style of indicator and it's location on the screen. Here is a quick tour. These examples are much, much smaller than the big, crisp, full-size 1080p images you will see on your television.

The Settings let you select one of the three pre-defined layouts, the server, the interval and units:

Here is layout 2:

To edit a layout (layout 3 in this example), swipe the Apple TV Remote track pad to the Edit button and click the track pad to start editing.

The Edit button changes to Editing and the indicators are outlined. Swipe the Remote to select the indicator you want to edit. Once you have selected the indicator, you can either click once to edit its options or hold down the track pad until the indicator starts wiggling. When the indicator is wiggling, tap or swipe the track pad to move the indicator. Click to stop the wiggling. Tap the Remote Menu button to return to the layout.

If you click on a selected indicator, you can edit its options. All indicators have Show/Hide and Small/Medium/Large sizes. Most indicators have Round/Text/Digit styles. You can also select 1 of seven colors for the Text and Digit styles. Tap the Remote Menu button to return to the layout.

Like the WeatherCat iOS apps, WeatherCatTV is localized for English, French, German, and Italian. I hope you enjoy WeatherCat on the big screen.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Congratulations! (Re: WeatherCat for Apple TV)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 08:42:52 PM »
Dear Grand and WeatherCat boob tube viewers, . . . .

WeatherCat is coming to the big screen! Just heard from Apple that my 9th app, WeatherCat for Apple TV, passed review and will be in the App Store for the launch of the new Apple TV.
. . .

Congratulations on the new product!  [tup]  It looks really neat! 

Alas, we have been a TiVo family for around 15 years, so we'll probably defer on the Apple TV purchase for now.  However, I'm sure there are a few "WeatherCatters" who will snap up this software.  If I recall correctly, Herb was standing in line for a new Apple TV.

Cheers, Edouard

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
Re: WeatherCat for Apple TV
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 08:55:57 AM »
I've been trying to decide if I should order the new Apple TV (and which size) and here I am mid-week after the official kick-off and still no decision. But should I upgrade from my present Apple TV and relocate it to an inglorious position on a less-frequently-viewed TV in the house, I'll be sure and download WeatherCatTV on the new one. Thanks for a great product, Grand.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 04:32:55 PM »
Very nicely done!

I think you'll like the RCP coming in WC3.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Ooh!! I like hints like this! (Re: WeatherCat for Apple TV)
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 08:43:17 PM »
Dear Stu and WeatherCat feature-o-holics . . . . .

I think you'll like the RCP coming in WC3.

Ooh!!  I like when Stu drops hints like this!!  [bounce]

Thanks for all the hard work Stu!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 09:22:49 PM »
Why are the Royal Canadian Police interested in WC3!? Have they confused "Consortium" with "conspiracy"?! :o
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 10:01:50 PM »
Oh my. Had decided not to purchase the new AppleTV. However, this announcement of a WC client for AppleTV is quite tempting. Hmm, Christmas isn't too far off.

By the way, what is "RCP?"

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 05:42:10 PM »
Aplogies, RCP is rich client protocol.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 09:28:22 PM »
All that means that is you should be nice to your customers! Think you've already got one that covered! [tup]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 06:31:43 AM »
Grand:

Looks great, and congratulations. I have an Apple TV 2nd Generation that constantly reboots during use. I plan to procure the new one before the end of the year. I need some time to figure out how to use AirPlay now that the optical audio out port has been removed by Apple. Looking forward to the WC Apple TV app.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 07:41:37 AM »
I like it Grand! And, it's only the first iteration. Can't wait to try it out.

I'm dying to pull the trigger on a new Apple TV purchase, but for right now my money's stuck in traffic. Stock market is ramping up though. Payday should happen by the end of January.

I may not be able to wait that long, however. Christmas you know.

Herb

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 06:59:08 PM »
Aplogies, RCP is rich client protocol.

You have got me excited . And if it's NSPropertyListXMLFormat_v1_0, I'm thrilled .

Send me your RCP specification after it's frozen and I'll get started on the upgrade .

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 05:13:51 PM »
My Apple TV4 just arrived yesterday, and I am so impressed with it. Makes my ATV3 seem ancient (but not as ancient as the ATV1 in the garage.) Now that Plex is available, I don't even need to use my Roku anymore. Looking forward to seeing my backyard current conditions on my TV from my family room, which looks out on the backyard. :)
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 05:19:04 PM »
Welcome back Steve! Hope your trip was all you hoped it would be.
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 05:25:54 PM »
Welcome back Steve! Hope your trip was all you hoped it would be.
Thanks, see the trip thread for just a small sample of the photos we took.

[EDIT] Oops, I see you already found them. :)
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook