Author Topic: Unable to verify server  (Read 8620 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Unable to verify server
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2020, 03:53:32 PM »
Yes. Use version 2.0 of the WeatherCat client. Install (copy) it on your MacBook. If your port forwarding is setup correctly, the Client will pull up your WeatherCat data on your MacBook.

I'm not sure about running the old version of the WeatherCat iOS app on your setup. I deleted mine when I upgraded to the RCP version.

However, I do have an idea (which doesn't happen very often). On your router, make sure you are forwarding ports 49250-49255 to the internal IP address of your Mac Mini. It is much simpler if you assign an internal static IP address to your Mini so that it doesn't have the ability to grab a new IP address every time you reboot it. Then in the iOS app, enter your DYNDNS address for Internet 1. It doesn't really matter whether you enter it in Internet 1 or 2 but leave the Trixology address in one of them and put your's in the other one. You want Trixology so you can test to make sure the app works correctly. If it does, that narrows your issue down to something on your end.

I suspect that if your Mini does not have a static internal address, the reason your iOS app isn't working is because you rebooted your Mini at some point and it grabbed a different IP address from your router. So either give it a static internal IP by assigning the MAC address of the Mini to one of the addresses in your internal range, or find out what internal IP address the Mini is currently using, and forward the ports to that address and it should work, until you have to reboot.

If you are not using a static IP address on your Mini, it won't necessarily grab a new one on every reboot, but it can, if something else (either mobile or your Mac Book) came along and grabbed the old IP address of the Mini whilst it was turned off, or was rebooting.

Hope this helps.
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2020, 04:17:11 PM »
Here is another way to test all this that may be helpful to you.

On your Mini, do the following:
  • To find your internal IP address, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click Network, then select which network service your using, either Ethernet or Wi-Fi, depending on how your Mini is connected.
  • Open the Network Utility app, located in the /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications folder.
  • Click Port Scan, enter the Internal IP address of the Mini, then check the box for Only test ports between, enter ports 49250 and 49255, and click the Scan button.
  • Be patient whilst the scan is running - it takes longer than you think it will, but eventually it will return the results and you can see which of those ports are open.
About the port range, if you are not using RCP, only one of those ports will be open. This is normal. WeatherCat does not need all the ports open. It just needs one of the ports in the range, but you forward the entire range to allow Weathercat to grab one if some other software has grabbed the first one in the range. If you use the RCP version of the iOS app, you should have two ports in the range open, one for the Client and 49255 for RCP.

I have attached a screenshot showing the results of my port scan. Your internal IP address are probably not using 10.0.1.x as that is how home networks are setup if you started out using an Apple Time Capsule router. Everyone else in the world uses, either 192.168.x.x or 172.16.x.x.
Blick

Terryap

• Gentle Breeze
    • IPENYRHE3
  • Station Details: Aercus WS3083
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2020, 08:46:25 PM »
Thanks Blick and Xairbusdriver

Updating the WeatherCatClient app did the trick.  As you say xairbusdriver, how it worked after upgrading to Catalina is a puzzle ?!?!

When I get 5 minutes I will download the RCP version and check your other recommendations Blick.

Many thanks for the time you put into this, much appreciated.   👍👍👍👍👍
Best wishes

Terry

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2020, 07:48:23 PM »
This is one heck of an impressive technical support team!  ThU32:-)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2020, 03:46:03 PM »
I love it when a WeatherCatter is able to resolve an issue. Good work Terry.
Blick