Author Topic: Pictures of winter in Orinda . . . .  (Read 10444 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Pictures of winter in Orinda . . . .
« on: December 16, 2014, 11:40:34 PM »
Dear WeatherCat shutterbugs, . . . .

A number of us like to capture our world with a camera, so I thought I would share a picture or two of winter in Orinda.  Perhaps you'all might want to join in with threads of your own.

Rain is on the way and the sky this morning left no doubt:

Before the rain started this afternoon, I couldn't resist taking a photo of these picturesque group of wild mushrooms:

The heat waves of summer seem very far away now-a-days!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
First weather shot - Canon EOS 70D (Re: Pictures of winter)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 09:31:25 PM »
Dear WeatherCat photographers,

As lamented, like my father, Christmas has become a very hard time for me to bare.  However, that fact didn't go unnoticed for the rest of the household.  As a partial compensation for the endless stream of things I need to do to keep the house going, I got a very nice Christmas present indeed.  My old Canon DSLR had become less capable than my new iPhone 6 and that was obviously a bit discouraging.  The one feature that I was really missing on my old DSLR was the High Dynamic Range (HDR) algorithm.  In my 35mm film days, I got used to pushing the dynamic range of film close to the limit and my old Canon wasn't capturing what I was seeing.

I know the top-flight photographers on this forum are Nikon diehards, but Canon recently introduced a new camera with the first real CMOS image sensor upgrade in 5 years: the EOS 70D.  It is an expensive camera, but I guess the household decided I really needed the pick-me-up.  I had hoped the controls would be similar to my old Canon, alas, it isn't as much as I would prefer.  Still, this morning I saw some interesting cloud formations.  So I went to my usual vantage point to photograph the anemometer and I took my first such photo:

I hope I had HDR enabled!   Anyway, as I finally get used to this new camera, hopefully I'll start to have some even more interesting photos than in the past.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Pictures of winter in Orinda . . . .
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 10:27:25 AM »
Oooh, nice! I'm guessing currently you're pretty impressed by the low light sensitivity - I know I was when I got my D600.

Talking of wintery pictures, here's what my Davis solar sensor currently looks like. Now if you're like me, you're probably extremely critical of your photos - in the attached I could write reams on everything that's wrong with it, but in my defence, it is -4 out there and I was in a t-shirt and sandals (no socks obviously) :)

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 07:29:05 PM »
Nice pics...

We had a couple of inches of snow yesterday here in the Netherlands, and (although this is an older picture (it's dark right now ::)) this is what the anemometer kinda looks like right now.
So don't be surprised if the wind speed is stuck at zero. 8)

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 07:41:25 PM »
Cool [freeze] pictures!

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 09:47:50 PM »
Nice pics...

We had a couple of inches of snow yesterday here in the Netherlands, and (although this is an older picture (it's dark right now ::)) this is what the anemometer kinda looks like right now.
So don't be surprised if the wind speed is stuck at zero. 8)

Very nice! I'm guessing it'll be a few days before that's working again :)

Cool [freeze] pictures!

Cheers,
Reinhard

Groan. Of course, we are now all expecting a suitably winterish weather station pic from you Reinhard  [bounce]

(Sorry Edouard, not sure if we aren't hijacking your thread a little here... they are wintery and they are of weather station bits however :) )

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
No worries - love da' pics! (Re: Pictures of winter in Orinda . . . .)
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 10:16:41 PM »
Dear Stu, JosBaz, Reinhard, and WeatherCat photographers,

Oooh, nice! I'm guessing currently you're pretty impressed by the low light sensitivity - I know I was when I got my D600.

This Canon had rave reviews and it can do all sorts of things.  For example, you can use an iPhone app to use it to do time-lapse movies.  I've always wanted to do that.

Talking of wintery pictures, here's what my Davis solar sensor currently looks like. Now if you're like me, you're probably extremely critical of your photos - in the attached I could write reams on everything that's wrong with it, but in my defence, it is -4 out there and I was in a t-shirt and sandals (no socks obviously) :)

;) . . . Well, . . . okay . . . we'll let you off the hook - this time! [biggrin]

(Sorry Edouard, not sure if we aren't hijacking your thread a little here... they are wintery and they are of weather station bits however :) )

No worries, I like the pictures as much as the rest of you!  [bounce]

Here are a few more taken this morning:

I finally figured out how the EOS 70D allows you to tweak the auto exposure:

Unfortunately, Canon sure needs to take a few classes in user-interface design from Apple!  ::)

Keep posting d'em pics!!

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro Plus via Keyspan Serial/USB adapator running on 10.9.4
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 02:42:20 AM »
Here is winter in Colorado (female Cassin's Finch).  Snow storm last week and it is snowing again.  Finally had to gas up the snow blower [roll]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 09:47:18 AM »
Great shot! She is looking so happy with the world :)

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
Re: No worries - love da' pics! (Re: Pictures of winter in Orinda . . . .)
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 09:48:54 AM »
Dear Stu, JosBaz, Reinhard, and WeatherCat photographers,

This Canon had rave reviews and it can do all sorts of things.  For example, you can use an iPhone app to use it to do time-lapse movies.  I've always wanted to do that.

;) . . . Well, . . . okay . . . we'll let you off the hook - this time! [biggrin]

No worries, I like the pictures as much as the rest of you!  [bounce]

Here are a few more taken this morning:

I finally figured out how the EOS 70D allows you to tweak the auto exposure:

Unfortunately, Canon sure needs to take a few classes in user-interface design from Apple!  ::)

Keep posting d'em pics!!

What was the difference in the first two?

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Answers and more pics (Re: Pictures of winter in Orinda . . . .)
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 09:39:49 PM »
Dear Jeff, Stu, and WeatherCat "shutterbugs" . . . .

Here is winter in Colorado (female Cassin's Finch).  Snow storm last week and it is snowing again.  Finally had to gas up the snow blower [roll]

Thanks for the pretty bird!  Glad the respite from rain we are getting is helping you out!  [WCSmall]

What was the difference in the first two?

;) . . . . sufferin' succotash Stu, why do you have to ask such embarrassing questions! . . .  :-[

Well, I double-checked and the photos were taken two minutes apart.  So that didn't give the clouds too much time to change.  I suppose I was a little too excited trying out the new camera!  [bounce]

I have a few more photos.  I took this photo of a birch tree just after sunset:

It was amazed at how white the trunk appeared in the darkening sky.  This photo at least hints at that.

Here is another one of those fiery sunrise photos around the anemometer:

Since then I've decided to put the camera away until the UV minus filter for the lens shows up tomorrow.  Up to now I've been shooting "naked" and sufferin' succotash, I managed to spray a bit of the air duster residue when I tried to remove some dust.   >:( Anybody know what's the best way to clean a fancy lens like this?  Since I all my lenses have the UV minus filter, I've never had to clean a lens itself.

Cheers, Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
UV and polarizer has arrived. (Re: Pictures of winter in Orinda . . . .)
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 09:58:33 PM »
Dear WeatherCat shutterbugs,

Happy New Year!  Have you made a resolution to photograph your weather instruments some more?  At least that shouldn't be - nearly - as hard as most of the typical resolutions!

The UV minus and circular polarizer filter for my new camera arrived yesterday so it finally was allowed to come out of hiding.  Here is a photo of clouds and both the anemometer and the ISS:

;) . . . Awe shucks you guys . . . can't you at least take some pictures through the window without going outside?  . .  [freeze]

SeanA

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW3381
    • INLANARK2
    • northlanarkshireweather.co.uk
  • Station Details: Davis Instruments Vantage VUE /MAC MINI/WeatherCat
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 10:27:58 PM »
Nice Pics.
One from the West of Scotland.
Cheers

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 08:15:41 AM »
Here's a picture I took during a skiing trip over Christmas in the French Alps. This Fog bow picture (with a bit of 'Glory'😇) is a composition of multiple pictures I took with my iPhone.

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 04:49:45 PM »
When winter strikes in Georgia, USA, it often is with ice! I don't have a heater on my rain gauge, but could have used it during this winter storm.