Author Topic: Hurray! An early start to the 2014-15 rain in Northern CA!  (Read 7370 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Hurray! An early start to the 2014-15 rain in Northern CA!
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 06:13:57 AM »
Edouard:
Really nice sunset photo and quote from the New Testament.

Herb:
You never cease to amaze me. Thanks for sharing that little bit from your past.

Myst People:
  • Last month, I played realMyst with two of my grandsons on my iMac running Mavericks (at the time). It was just as cool as it was back in the day.
  • If you are not already aware, Rand is developing a new game called Obduction. http://obductiongame.com His brothers Robyn and Ryan are also involved.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
More on Myst (Was: 2014-15 rain in Northern CA!
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 08:29:28 PM »
Howdy Herb and WeatherCat Mac old-timers,

OK, let's all join hands and sing, "It's A Small World." At the time Myst was being developed, I lived in Tyler, Texas. Cool, huh?  What? Oh. I was a member of TAMU, Tyler Area Macintosh Users.

Yup, I've been part of a few Mac user groups.  I was even part of the world famous Berkeley Macintosh User Group or BMUG.  It was an amazing organization in its hey-day.  They needed to use the largest lecture hall on the Cal campus.  By day it was used to teach the introductory Physics and Chemistry courses for freeman, but one night a month it was filled to the brim with Mac lovers,

Rand Miller was one of our members. He showed me Manhole, his first foray into adventure gaming in Hypercard. It was before color Macs, even. So, when he and his brother finished Myst, I had to run out and buy it! At the time, it was awesome!

Okay, I tip my hat to you Herb!

Amazingly, Myst has gotten a new lease on life thanks to iOS.  If you want to play it on your iPad you can get it from the Mac store:

http://cyan.com/games/myst/

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 10:21:16 PM »
 [snow]
Thanks Blick, Edouard! Thanks for reminding me of that little episode in the past. I was a computer salesman at that time. It was kinda funny how I was introduced to TAMU. One day in the store, these 3 guys burst through the front door with a great plan to boost the membership in their Macintosh user's group. They wanted me to give them the contact information for all the people we had sold Macs to. I told them I couldn't do that. It was unethical; a violation of the customer's right to privacy. Well, one of them started getting mad about it, then there was some discussion and they left after I agreed to put a poster in the window and hand out flyers to Mac users. Later, when the next meeting came up, I was there. They had a good group of about 20 or so people. I kept going to all the meetings and became good friends with many in the group. Then one meeting, to my great surprise, I became nominated and then was voted in as President of the group.

[rainyluck]
Unfortunately, before I could preside over even one meeting, I had a falling out with the store owner, lost my job of 4 years and ended up moving elsewhere to find work. It was terrible. I left a great bunch of people there high and dry without a President and I have a great deal of angst about that. I wish I could apologize to them, but that was long ago. I'm sure they made the best of it and elected someone else.
Herb

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 10:54:54 PM »
We had Manhole for my daughter. What a huge departure from other games at the time, and a clear idea of what was to come in Myst. I had a Performa 405 (LC-475) at the time, which did not have the CD drive. So I went out and bought Myst, plus the Apple system that was an external SCSI CD ROM drive plus a pair of AppleDesign speakers. So I spent something like $49 for the game, and $600 for the drive to play it on. And never regretted it for a minute. My eldest daughter and I spent way too many evenings solving those puzzles
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook