Author Topic: About the iOS App  (Read 104452 times)

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
About the iOS App
« on: April 09, 2012, 09:17:45 PM »
The iOS App communicates with the WeatherCat host software to display real-time weather data on your iOS device. It can communicate with a host on your local area network or with a remote host over the Internet.

The App uses a single table-based view to display the basic weather data from the host. You can edit which rows you want to see and the order of the rows. The host is polled every 5 seconds. The Local host is the default. Change to the Internet host in the Settings. The default Internet host is a test site set up for WeatherCat testing. You can edit the URL to query a different host. You can also change the units in the settings.

You can find the WeatherCat App at: itunes.com/app/poohbahindustries

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Works great on an iPhone 4!! (Re: About the iOS App)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 10:23:14 PM »
Dear Grand Poohbah and WeatherCat fans,  [cat]

Thank you!!

Just downloaded it and installed it on my iPhone 4 and it immediately found WeatherCat on our local area network (iPhone connects via Wi-Fi when in the house.)  Looks great works fine.  Really nifty!!  [bounce]

Thanks again for this nifty "kitten"!!  [cat]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
Re: About the iOS App
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 11:11:59 PM »
 [woohoo]

Installed on my iPhone 4 with iOS 5.1 and works well: it found the server on the LAN immediately and current data also popped up straight away.
I then changed units to Celcius, kph, etc. and started changing the order of the values, while also hiding a few variables I do not need.
While doing this, the App crashed. I restarted and had to redo the ordering bit. All worked fine this time.

I then tried to enter my URL and connect to the host over the internet. What are the requirements for this (on the server side)?

First impression is that this is a very nice App. Straightforward but provides the info I'm looking for (with frequent polling).

Many thanks!

Jos

gb509

• Gentle Breeze
    • D6143
    • IGREATER38
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Daytime FARS Solar and UV, iMac OS 10.11
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 11:20:56 PM »
 [cheer]Very nice download on iPhone 4 with 5.1 found weather station instantly can't wait to check out beyond local network . Well done!

gb509

• Gentle Breeze
    • D6143
    • IGREATER38
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Daytime FARS Solar and UV, iMac OS 10.11
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 11:28:46 PM »
Noticed that on scrolling the screen the external humidity bar seems to move to its value. The other bars do not and remain fixed. Humidity moves as soon as it appears from under the grey field with date

Tornado Tim

• Strong Breeze
    • Matangi Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 with Solar and WLIP Datalogger (via VVP)
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 12:07:40 AM »
Just tested the app on the new iPad, the app looks a bit too small on it as there is huge amounts of screen real-estate available.

HairyMcLeary

• Strong Breeze
    • DW5912
    • INORTHOT6
  • Station Details: LaCrosse WS2355, iMac 2.66 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 01:12:25 AM »
Great App,

One small niggle. I have the settings set to show the Current conditions but all that shows up in the app is  (Current Conditions)  Am I missing something here?

Version: 1.0 (120402)

Tony

xtommo

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: LaCrosse WS2355 on iMac 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 02:42:55 AM »
i am also having this same issue with the current condition.

xtommo

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: LaCrosse WS2355 on iMac 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 02:44:51 AM »
to get it working over the internet you will need to Port Forward TCP 49250 to 49254 to your servers LAN IP and then enter your WAN IP into the iOS client.

[woohoo]

Installed on my iPhone 4 with iOS 5.1 and works well: it found the server on the LAN immediately and current data also popped up straight away.
I then changed units to Celcius, kph, etc. and started changing the order of the values, while also hiding a few variables I do not need.
While doing this, the App crashed. I restarted and had to redo the ordering bit. All worked fine this time.

I then tried to enter my URL and connect to the host over the internet. What are the requirements for this (on the server side)?

First impression is that this is a very nice App. Straightforward but provides the info I'm looking for (with frequent polling).

Many thanks!

Jos

Doc

• Strong Breeze
  • Fly by night Eccentric
    • N9CXI
    • kinnindia
    • N9CXI Eastwood Indianapolis Indiana WX station
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, Mac mini, 2gig Ram 25tb storage, 1 weather web cams.
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 03:29:53 PM »
Installed without a hitch, very nice.  Works great, edited the order of the instruments, hid the ones I didn't need and it still worked.  Noticed how well it works in real time too, very nice.  Would love a gauges option, but that's just me.  I like this app very much the way it is.  I'm putting in on all the iPod Touches in the house now.

Doc
Take care and have fun!  Slainte Mah!

embayweather

• Strong Breeze
    • DW3656
    • lENGLAND128
    • Lancastrian Imaging
  • Station Details: Oregon WM928, Intel Mac 2.5Ghz, I5 Quad core, Met Office spec manual instruments, Cat, WD, 1-wire, Labjack, Lightning Radar
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 06:15:59 PM »
I had to wait until I got to my daughter's studio to be able to download this app. WOW, well worth the wait. Installed without a problem, connected without a problem, and works amazingly well, connecting to my home network in under ten seconds. Well done! Now just got to work out the internet bit and get the data whilst I am on the move.

Best wishes

Mike

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 06:35:33 PM »
Excellent, many thanks for all the hard work, I've got it working on my home network, eventually I'll understand what I have to do to get it working on the internet. 

cheers

JC

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 07:09:04 PM »
Excellent, many thanks for all the hard work, I've got it working on my home network, eventually I'll understand what I have to do to get it working on the internet. 

cheers

JC

For me, either.
Thanks alot!
Reinhard

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
The first 24 hours
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 11:20:28 PM »
It warms The Grand Poohbah's heart to see your enthusiasm for the App. Thank you.

Callie, the cat in the WeatherCat App, thanks you too.

An App's first 24 hours in the Apple App Store is always interesting, especially a free one. The WeatherCat App was downloaded 41 times from 11 countries. The US had the most downloads (24) with Saudi Arabia coming in second (4).

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
Current Conditions
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 11:30:24 PM »
You are not missing a thing. The "Current Conditions" element is sent from the server as a blank field. It's there in the App as a placeholder for some future time when the server sends some content. That's why it's hidden by default for now.
Great App,

One small niggle. I have the settings set to show the Current conditions but all that shows up in the app is  (Current Conditions)  Am I missing something here?

Version: 1.0 (120402)

Tony