Author Topic: Using Data Viewer/Editor  (Read 1937 times)

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
Using Data Viewer/Editor
« on: November 01, 2017, 04:23:56 PM »
I must be brain dead here because I can't figure out how to make a change 'stick' in Data Viewer/Editor.

I was cleaning the dust and grime out of my rain collector tipping buckets this morning and forgot to unplug the rain sensor connector cord from the wireless sensor interface module before I started. Consequently, I racked up 0.14 inch of erroneous rainfall.

So I opened up WeatherCat's Data Viewer/Editor and figured I could just wipe out the error. I changed all instances of Raw Rain, Daily Rain and Rain/h back to 0.00. Except that as soon as the next line loads, that 0.14 inch of Raw Rain reappears (along with the equivalent millimeters of Daily Rain).

So, what's the correct way to do this? This is the first time I've ever had an occasion to modify the Data Viewer/Editor database despite many years of using Davis equipment, WC and LWC predecessor.

Does it make a difference that I use WeatherLink IP?

I feel pretty stupid asking such a basic question but I've about run out ideas without resorting to modifying the entire WC database for the day.

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
Re: Using Data Viewer/Editor
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 04:59:09 PM »
Or is the only way to do this to wait until tomorrow and use Daily Rain Editor to process the correction?

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Need to change it in Davis equipment (Re: Using Data Viewer/Editor)
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 09:31:20 PM »
Dear Felix and WeatherCat "power" users,

I must be brain dead here because I can't figure out how to make a change 'stick' in Data Viewer/Editor.

. . . .

So I opened up WeatherCat's Data Viewer/Editor and figured I could just wipe out the error. I changed all instances of Raw Rain, Daily Rain and Rain/h back to 0.00. Except that as soon as the next line loads, that 0.14 inch of Raw Rain reappears (along with the equivalent millimeters of Daily Rain).

. . . . .

Does it make a difference that I use WeatherLink IP?

Actually any Davis station will give you exactly the same problem.  WeatherCat doesn't store rainfall internally for Davis stations since the stations keep track of this data in a reliable way.  So using the Data Viewer/Editor indeed won't do a thing.  You need to edit the value on your station console.  I believe there is a way to do this although I've never personally had this problem.  Check the Davis console manual!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 01:44:41 PM »
I think page 26 has the info on "setting" the values. I suspect the value you'll need to edit is the Monthly Rain value, since the "Daily Rain" value is now in the past. You can still edit the Monthly and Yearly totals, however.
To set a weather variable?s value:
1. Select the variable you wish to change.
2. Press and release 2ND, then press and hold SET. The variable blinks.
3. Keep holding SET until all digits are lit and only one digit is blinking.
4. Press the < or > keys to select digits in the value.
5. Press the + and - keys to add to or subtract from the selected digit.
6. When you are finished, press DONE to exit.
BTW, I think you can download the Davis Vantage Pro2 Console.pdf. It may be difficult to find on their "improved" site, however. [rolleyes2]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 07:44:56 AM »
I too use the IP data lager and that has no bearing on your issue. Modifying MTD and YTD Rain on your console as described above will fix your issue. Interesting enough, if you want to increase Daily Rain on your console, and you modify it before midnight, it will also increment MTD and YTD Rain. However, if you want to decrease daily rain, modifying Daily Rain on the console does not auto correct MTD and YTD. IN that case, you use WeatherCat's Rain Editor to modify rain for the date you want to decrease, and then manually change MTD and YTD on the console so that the console and the WeatherCat reports all match up.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 02:03:28 PM »
"if you want to increase Daily Rain on your console, and you modify it before midnight, it will also increment MTD and YTD Rain" So, we can make it rain, if we're fast enough! I wonder if Edouard has tried this? [rolleyes2] [lol] [lightrain]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system